Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectnew times for the eclipse..
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=79016
79016, new times for the eclipse..
Posted by siueclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the launch could have been better. car was still bogging down some or i was spinning the slicks. she was doing it all night off the line. this is at 21lbs of boost. no real tuning.. everything set the same as my last dyno run which is in my sig.

Reaction: .689 -.500 on this track is perfect
60ft: 2.019
594ft: 8.417
1/8et: 8.943
1/8mph: 85.53

what do you guys think? next time i go back i will be pushing 27lbs on race gas and have it tuned hopefully.. i should be over 400whp at that point.

whats the mathematical calculation for 1/4 times? i know its not exact for our cars, but it might give me a rough estimate.
79017, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by fastpunk, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'd say between a 13.5-13.7 in the quarter but this is just rough guess. I'm sure someone else could give you a much more accurate answer.
79018, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
low 13s or high 12s with that 60'.
79022, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by Mattchew, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Your 60ft time needs work. 2.0 times can be done with a good set of drag radials. Don't get me wrong it's a decent 60ft but with slicks you should be seeing 1.8s or better. Your 1/8th mile time needs work as well but that will most likely come with tuning and more boost. I don't know of any actual calculations but that 1/8th mile time is more consistant with a mid to high 13 second pass. You'll need to be in the mid to low 8s before you'll see 12s.

79023, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Originally posted by Mattchew
Your 60ft time needs work. 2.0 times can be done with a good set of drag radials. Don't get me wrong it's a decent 60ft but with slicks you should be seeing 1.8s or better. Your 1/8th mile time needs work as well but that will most likely come with tuning and more boost. I don't know of any actual calculations but that 1/8th mile time is more consistant with a mid to high 13 second pass. You'll need to be in the mid to low 8s before you'll see 12s.

well.. good opinion..

anyway.. any more opinions from people that I actually trust in what they say, unlike the post above..
79024, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Originally posted by siueclipse
Originally posted by Mattchew Your 60ft time needs work. 2.0 times can be done with a good set of drag radials. Don't get me wrong it's a decent 60ft but with slicks you should be seeing 1.8s or better. Your 1/8th mile time needs work as well but that will most likely come with tuning and more boost. I don't know of any actual calculations but that 1/8th mile time is more consistant with a mid to high 13 second pass. You'll need to be in the mid to low 8s before you'll see 12s.
well.. good opinion.. anyway.. any more opinions from people that I actually trust in what they say, unlike the post above..

Take it for what you will, but statistics don't lie. Look at dsmtimes in the FWD section if you don't believe me.
79027, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Ok good. thank you. Lets move away from you now and give someone else the microphone.
79028, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Ok good. thank you. Lets move away from you now and give someone else the microphone.

No problem, I'm sorry I did not say what you wanted to hear.
79035, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Mattchew
Originally posted by siueclipse Ok good. thank you. Lets move away from you now and give someone else the microphone.
No problem, I'm sorry I did not say what you wanted to hear.

wow you guys squabble like girls constantly with no end.
your 60 foot isn't that great for slicks. launch better and your eight mile should drop by quite a bit... when my buddy got his launch downpat he went from running low 14s to low 13s. If you mess up the first 60 feet in a turbo car, your screwed through second gear because odds are you won't spool enough in first to carry the boost through the shift, but you probably already knew that, right?
79036, RE: new times for the eclipse..
yeah. i witnessed that several times tonight. haha

79047, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by MrSlick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just run a damn 1/4 mile and then you'll know what you can do.

Trying to estimate the 1/4 from the 1/8 is never going to be accurate. ;)
79049, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by 420a-Tnthewerks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
high 12's with that 60'

edit - and i don't believe this belongs in Turbo/Nitrous.
79050, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by xtrickedeclipsex, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
!@#$
---------------------------------------

"Oh yea, well...My manifold does cool twisty things"

www.EnhancedMotorSports.com
79054, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by freddy_00_69, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Multiply your 1/8 mile time by 1.55 and that should give you a rough estimate. It is the not perfect, there are still other factors that could make you run better or worse. That is just an estimate. So you would be around 13.7 in a 1/4.
79074, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
with a better launch, that time could drop by .6 or .7 seconds in a turbocharged car. you could probably get into the 12s, I bet, with your current setup, depending on what turbo exactly you are using. eight mile is too short for turbod cars to really get moving.
79095, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by UDLUZE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wow, 21 psi and slicks. I had a better 1/8 th on 11 psi and drag radials, and yet my 60ft is slower. My car is untuned as well and I'm running a 20g.
Rt.... .653
60'... 2.161
1/8... 8.797
mph... 85.78
1/4... 13.411
mph... 106.74
79096, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by UDLUZE
Wow, 21 psi and slicks. I had a better 1/8 th on 11 psi and drag radials, and yet my 60ft is slower. My car is untuned as well and I'm running a 20g. Rt.... .653 60'... 2.161 1/8... 8.797 mph... 85.78 1/4... 13.411 mph... 106.74

In case you havent read the previous posts James has a lot of new parts on his car and is still tuning everything.

James i think it looks ok and additional time in the spring will give better results. I would like to see better times with all that work but considering you just did most of it this fall i would say you have a good foundation to improve on.

Yeah move on to a 1/4 track, 1/8 are fags in texas...lol

Terry

96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........

Thank you code4 for the avatar.
79106, RE: new times for the eclipse..
yup yup
79741, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by 2fastdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
not a bad time seems like you need practice w/ your launch though. .6+ on slicks not to good. but im sure with practice and tuning you will have a lot better times. I average around .400 on my launches w/ street tires.
79750, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Originally posted by 2fastdsm
not a bad time seems like you need practice w/ your launch though. .6+ on slicks not to good. but im sure with practice and tuning you will have a lot better times. I average around .400 on my launches w/ street tires.

Slicks do not necessarily impact reaction time and reaction times do not impact ETs. All R/T does is tell you the time it took for you to break the beams after the light turned green. Your ET doesn't start until after you break the beams.
79107, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by SilverBullet20g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the launch could have been better. car was still bogging down some or i was spinning the slicks. she was doing it all night off the line. this is at 21lbs of boost.

I thought you had the profecB boost controller? Did you use Lo/Hi mode so you are not spinning the whole time? (1-2 shift)

79114, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Originally posted by SilverBullet20g
Originally posted by siueclipse the launch could have been better. car was still bogging down some or i was spinning the slicks. she was doing it all night off the line. this is at 21lbs of boost.
I thought you had the profecB boost controller? Did you use Lo/Hi mode so you are not spinning the whole time? (1-2 shift)

i do have that boost controller. if you launch correctly there is no need to switching boost levels like that. its also very bad on your motor.
79139, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by UDLUZE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, I've got alot of new parts too. My car is untuned with half the boost and still running faster. That was also my first time at the track with my new setup. For someone that has dyno time I would think your car would be faster than that. I've never even seen a dyno or a laptop to tune my antique dfi setup.
79140, RE: new times for the eclipse..
great, your car is faster. good job.

there is still 3 track time left this season for me. still more practice to be had.

79141, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
its also very bad on your motor.

Huh? Care to explain this one?
79142, RE: new times for the eclipse..
sorry. i should have said.. "I assume its bad for your motor".

There is something about instant blast of switch boost settings that I don't like. Ive done it in the past...

I dont have problems with tire spin. I actually have problems with bogging down. The last run of the night was where i got into the 8s. I finally figured out the best method for getting the turbo to spool on the line.
79156, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by Initial DSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I may be outta the loop, but how come you dont run the 1/4?
79157, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Originally posted by Initial DSM
I may be outta the loop, but how come you dont run the 1/4?

its 2 hours away
79160, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by SilverBullet20g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by dougie2
Originally posted by siueclipse its also very bad on your motor.
Huh? Care to explain this one?

I would like to know too...

79174, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It's not bad for your motor, unless your fuel system does not adjust fast enough or something. There are no ill effects of running low boost in first and then high boost in a diff gear (or any other 2 stage setup really). The only way this would be an issue is if your turbo went from like 10psi to 20 psi in a second (this won't happen as the turbo will need time to build the boost).
79178, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Originally posted by Kirby
It's not bad for your motor, unless your fuel system does not adjust fast enough or something. There are no ill effects of running low boost in first and then high boost in a diff gear (or any other 2 stage setup really). The only way this would be an issue is if your turbo went from like 10psi to 20 psi in a second (this won't happen as the turbo will need time to build the boost).

Well.. obviously you have never done it. I used to run 10lbs through 1st gear. Then hit the switch once in second gear. I would jump from 10 to 20lbs in an instant. Now.. if I were to do this I would be going from 10lbs to 27lbs. In my mind, its just a big strain on a motor that doesn't need to be there. You should be able to launch the car well enough on high boost that you don't need to switch boost levels.
79180, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well.. obviously you have never done it. I used to run 10lbs through 1st gear. Then hit the switch once in second gear. I would jump from 10 to 20lbs in an instant. Now.. if I were to do this I would be going from 10lbs to 27lbs. In my mind, its just a big strain on a motor that doesn't need to be there. You should be able to launch the car well enough on high boost that you don't need to switch boost levels.

It's no different than going from 0-27psi of boost when you leave the line.
79202, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by siueclipse Well.. obviously you have never done it. I used to run 10lbs through 1st gear. Then hit the switch once in second gear. I would jump from 10 to 20lbs in an instant. Now.. if I were to do this I would be going from 10lbs to 27lbs. In my mind, its just a big strain on a motor that doesn't need to be there. You should be able to launch the car well enough on high boost that you don't need to switch boost levels.
It's no different than going from 0-27psi of boost when you leave the line.

I'm glad you said it. I was going to post this a couple days ago but I thought it was blatantly obvious.
79203, RE: new times for the eclipse..
You don't put the same strain on the car when launching compared to hitting a switch when you are already running.

Doesn't matter anyway because the car can be launched at high boost.
79181, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Kirby It's not bad for your motor, unless your fuel system does not adjust fast enough or something. There are no ill effects of running low boost in first and then high boost in a diff gear (or any other 2 stage setup really). The only way this would be an issue is if your turbo went from like 10psi to 20 psi in a second (this won't happen as the turbo will need time to build the boost).

So you're telling me that your car goes from 10-20 psi in an instant? So you must be really stupid and hitting the switch running full throttle at full boost eeeh? It still takes a little time to get a 10 psi difference though... I just want to make sure that the guy's running duel stage controllers know that they can use those between gears to adjust the high boost setting without blowing the manifold.. And acctually I use a studder box on my car so it only builds about 10psi on the line and then when I take off it just goes on up from there. You may want to try that it really works well for launch control.

79683, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by Ducking_Fumbass, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Imagine being on the highway, cruising at part throttle. Now, mash the gas.

You are going from some pressure value below ambient in the intake manifold to 27 PSI. Even worse on the motor than 0 psi to 27 psi.

Just dual stage your boost already. It will make the car FAR easier to launch. Quit being a sally.
79724, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by widebodied, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
so i guess a progressive nitrous controller is bad for a fwd car :rolleyes

Originally posted by DSMRoadster
yeah, those of us who are immune to the "2gnt" curse. Curse is a joke, if you have it, it's cuz you have no clue how to play the game.

DISCLAIMER: Some of what I say may upset you, make you cry, or even make you consider suicide. I am not responsible for how your sensitive punk ass decides to take it

The official 2GNT EGO Wrecker
79726, RE: new times for the eclipse..
no need for being an ass, widebody

sure i have hit the high boost switch while on the track. i just don't like doing it simply because of how much money is involved.
79727, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by MrSlick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Going from Low to Hi boost is NOT!!! going to cause any damage... unless your setup has problems with the high boost anyway.

Quit being afraid, launch on low boost and hit hi boost once you have good traction...
79728, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by babybeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
no need for being an ass, widebody sure i have hit the high boost switch while on the track. i just don't like doing it simply because of how much money is involved.

lol, your trying to push more than double the power the motor was designed.

Shit breaks

Push it, if it breaks replace it and move on. That's the nature of the beast.
79747, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Widebaodies is just pissed off because he couldnt make his 2.4 run and his car is being pieced out due to his lack of attention span..............lol just kidding

James you spent all that money so that motor could handle high boost, thats the whole point of doing it. I will tell you now your car will break...its inevitable but its not because of a boost controller being used in the manner you dont want to do. Relax and push it for what its worth.

Terry
96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........
79752, RE: new times for the eclipse..
Posted by babybeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Widebaodies is just pissed off because he couldnt make his 2.4 run and his car is being pieced out due to his lack of attention span..............lol just kidding James you spent all that money so that motor could handle high boost, thats the whole point of doing it. I will tell you now your car will break...its inevitable but its not because of a boost controller being used in the manner you dont want to do. Relax and push it for what its worth. Terry 96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver 97 Eclipse.........

I thought SIU was sponsored now? What does it matter if you break one motor pushing the limit?

That's what racing is all about!
I generated this page in 0.010670185089111 seconds, executing 7 queries.