Go back to previous topic
Forum nameTurbo/Nitrous Tech
Topic subjectCouple of boost happy questions.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=102503
102503, Couple of boost happy questions.
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So i got me a 1g smic and a bosch bov.

I shouldn't have any problems with the little bastard heatsoaking at 8psi, correct?

How much boost do the plastic bosch diverter/bov's hold?

And since i can't find factory turbo specs for two cars i'll ask you guys.

I need the wastegate settings for:

1 nissan skyline r34 spec t25 bb turbo

1 Lebaron spec t3/t4 turbo

Wanting to know how much power both turbos in stock trim are capable of supporting would be great too.

Thanks.

I've been searching the internet for a while and i'm pretty fried so i'm passing the torch to somebody else.
102504, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
Posted by fresh95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm sure the smic and bov will be fine at 8 psi. They are both probably capable of supporting 12, but why? If you stick to 8, you should be fine. I used a fmic from an Evo 9 that I picked up for $100. Works great and looks awsome. I'm not sure on the turbo specs, but I know someone whose using the skyline turbo on his civic, with stock internals, so my guess would be around 7 psi.
102511, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
Posted by justins71, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not sure on the Skyline r34 but the Lebaron's are just a small t3, rated only around 200 hp. Those cars only put out like 140-150 hp or so. The plastic BOV should be good to 12, as above, but not much over that.
102519, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
Posted by foggy45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the skyline turbos came in 2 flavors stock, a regular t25 and an N-1 Version on the Nür spec and N-1 R34's
both versions were wastegate set to 14psi then electronically limited to 7psi.

you can tell the difference quickly by looking at the turbine blades.
std R34's use a ceramic turbine and it has a dusty grey or sandblasted SS look to it.
looks like this . . . (yes there mine, but there sold so dont ask :P )

the N-1 spec turbine is made of steel for higher temps that come with the higher boost. these use Garett CHRA Part no 446179-0031
and looks like this . . . (again mine and already sold :P )

one thing to make sure of is if it REALLY is from an R34, and ALL versions of the R34 turbos changed to garett BB cores while the R31-R33 used Journal bearings.
the N-1 turbos are safely rated around 320 hp, and standard turbos have .42 Compressor and .48 Turbine. while the common upgrades to a .60 compressor A/R and a .64 Turbine A/R can be found on the GT2860R-5 or the HKS GT2530 as those seem to be the most common replacements/ upgrades for the skyline stock turbos (when retaining the factory Parellel Twin-turbo configuration)

another note: the std ceramic turbine CANNOT be used above 17psi, as the ceramic turbine cant handle it.
the result . . . . an "Uncontained Disassembly" of your turbine
(yep still my turbo :( neat trick huh?!)
102521, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
Ok, thanks for the lebaron info and the bov info!

Chris' civic is slower than shit so ANY turbo will be a big improvement on his pos d15 until we drop a ZC motor in. Gotta love junkyard parts....

So how do i wastegate that nissan t25 down to acceptable psi levels cheap and easy? Chris told me to scrap the internal wastegate, weld the flapper shut and run a 42mm external with a 7. I may just do that.
102522, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
So how do i wastegate that nissan t25 down to acceptable psi levels cheap and easy? Chris told me to scrap the internal wastegate, weld the flapper shut and run a 42mm external with a 7. I may just do that.

yes eliminating the internal wastegate would work. but cheep and easy would be to just get a EVC to control it. (cheaper yet would be a Manual boost controller though) depends on the manifold though, some have spots for a wasegate and its just bolt on and plumb vac lines.
102551, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
Still looking for a manifold. I saw an sr20 top mount that looks good. Just needs to be cut, flipped, and fitted to a 420a flange. Spring is still a while away and i'm probably just going to go with an external gate.

Dump pipes make cool noises.

What is this EVC?
102552, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
EVC= Electronic Valve Controller, aka boost controller (see HKS, Blitz, Apexi)

102553, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
Electronic boost control comes later. :)

I'm boosting my car on the cheap. It's going to take a while to get it done proper but it'll be under $1500 i'm hoping.

Instead of making a new thread like my dumbass was going to i have a question on ebay wastegates. It's fairly simple.

Yes or no?

I've done a search and found one guy running 20 something psi with one.

ALot of the homemadeturbo.com guys are using them without problems.

Some of you guys are real finicky about your parts. I just want something that's going to hold up for about a year or so and keep me from overboosting.
102554, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
Posted by Slammed420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have read a couple different articles about Ebay wastegates in different car magazines. The only negative I read of them was that the person inspecting them thought the valve and spring in the wastegate were of low quality. As with several Ebay products, you kind of take a risk, in my opinion. The product could work perfectly for as long as you run it, or it may fail in a week.

I have a Turbonetics Evolutioon 38mm gate for sale, it even has the short Star dumptube with it. Make me an offer if you're interested.
102562, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
Well thanks. I may just go name brand in that department. Overboosting a stock 420a aint no joke, especially since it's my DD!

I've got another deal i have to handle with another forum member before i go off buying wastegates and such. That's first and foremost.
102595, RE: Couple of boost happy questions.
I was wondering if i could use a turbo eclipse 02 dump/dp flange (ssautoshit is selling them for $110) on my 2gnt as well. I dont have any problems having my exhaust housing on the driver's side since my ac and powersteering components are gone.

Would it also be able to utilize an entire 4g63 2g fwd aftermarket exhaust from the downpipe flange back on a 420a 2g? Did a search and all i came up with was the ability to use a 3" gst catback with an adapter for the cat.

Thanks.
I generated this page in 0.014969110488892 seconds, executing 7 queries.