Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectShave door handles?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=73396
73396, Shave door handles?
Posted by scothern, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hi guys,

I have a broken drivers side door handle and I was wondering about this. Since I would have to buy one and get it fixed I was thinking about just shaving both door handles. Being new to this idea, what steps are involved and what are the average costs? anyone from columbus ohio who knows a local shop, feel free to chime in. Oh yeah and this is just for reference as I might still sell the car.
73397, RE: Shave door handles?
Posted by 96eclipse2nr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well, for starters youll have to get a door popper kit. depending on mfg, strength, and options, they can run anywhere from $50-$200 for a kit. then the issue of filling the holes. youll have to have a body shop weld a steel plate over your holes, grind down, bondo, then comes paint.

the pro's: no more broken door handles. nice clean shaved look.

the con's: could be illegal for street use in your state, most tracks wont let you run if you have shaved doors, battery dies..then what?

if you think its gonna be cheaper and less hassle than messing with an ext door handle..well it sure wont be cheaper...and maybe less hassle if it ever breaks again or something..
73401, RE: Shave door handles?
Posted by KaptainMyke, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
averages about 400/door

paint/bondo/sheetmetal welds/poppers.

Where you really save money is getting other shit done at the same time....2000 dollars total to do all my body work at once. It helps.

If my battery dies? Open the trunk, crawl in, pop the hood, jumpstart. FIXED. (Ya don't shave the keyholes, ignore my other post in the other thread, haha.
73402, RE: Shave door handles?
Posted by Pitchblack98, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 96eclipse2nr
the con's: battery dies..then what?

most actualtors will run off of a 9 volt battery... will kill it after one use, but 2 hidden wires with a 9 volt battery terminal on the end will get you in the car. I used to have a 92 blazer with shaved door handles and thats how i get in when my battery died and it died a few times.

Now not all actualtors will work off of a 9 volt battery. especcialy the ones that pull like 60 lbs. I think i had 25 lb actualtors and it worked great.
73403, RE: Shave door handles?
Posted by BuckNutty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
400 a door?? Damn dood...up north i was getting quotes for 500 for both doors with all the popper schenanigans n whatnot. I would imagine it would be a lil cheaper, or the same price, down south.
73413, RE: Shave door handles?
Posted by optikal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I charge 150-200 a door, plus whatever poppers and shit you want. It's a bitch to sell a car with shaved handles usually. This is just my experience though.
73440, RE: Shave door handles?
Posted by KaptainMyke, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by optikal
I charge 150-200 a door, plus whatever poppers and shit you want. It's a bitch to sell a car with shaved handles usually. This is just my experience though.

shit. there goes selling my ride
I generated this page in 0.0088448524475098 seconds, executing 7 queries.