Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectIndiglo gauge install
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=609
609, Indiglo gauge install
Posted by Ryan_Hes, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have ordered indiglo gauges, they will be here any day. Does anyone have previous experience that can give a step-by-step instruction or help on how it is done. I don't want to have to fiddle around and break something once I get them. So, if anyone could help out, I'd appreciate it.

~~Ryan

610, RE: Indiglo gauge install
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
mine came with instructions that were clearly translated directly from japanese and therefore made no sense whatsoever, so here is what i did, from my best memory...
1)remove the two screws in the top of the outer gauge cluster trim and pull the trim out.
2)pull the gauge cluster straight out by pulling on the sides of the clear lens.
3)press in the clips that hold the plastic lens and the black plastic around the gauges in and remove them.
4)do not attempt to remove the needles like others do, just use common sense and slide the gauge over the needle with the needle sliding through the hole in the gauges.
5)use tape on the very outer edges to hold the white gauges on top of the stock ones. the tape will be covered by the plastic later.
6)plus in the included wires into each gauge and run the wires through the holes in the plastic surround and put the surround back on with the wires hanging out. put the clear lens back on.
7)put the gauges back in the dash and run the wires down through the dash.
8)plug the wires into the appropriate relay box for the indiglos
9)mount the ground wire and tap the power wire into the parking lights. then mount the dimmer switch and run it to the relay and your done.
hope it helps
611, RE: Indiglo gauge install
Posted by endless73, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hey cyan,
i'm thinking about getting new gauges too. i was looking at my gauges from the outside. how do you slide the original gauges out with that big, black knob in the way, the knob that the needles are connected to. are the center holes of the gauges big enough for the knob to slide through too? any help would be appreciated from anyone.

612, RE: Indiglo gauge install
Posted by eclipse_gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You dont take the original gauge faces off. You put the new indiglos on top of the original gauges. What I want to know is how the wires from the gauge cluster to the bottom of the dash. Through the hole on the right of the gauge cluster Cyan?? Or do you have the wires sticking out throught the front somehow.
613, RE: Indiglo gauge install
Posted by jZa, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i just squeezed mine through

javi d
vroom n' boom
bone-stock dsm performance :)

614, RE: Indiglo gauge install
Alright, I got mine yesterday, and got them installed today. First of all, the AC brand is really good. They arn't off-white like some, they are white white. Very good quality.

Here's how it works.

1. Remove the 2 screw which hold the black bracket on.
2. Unscrew the screws and pull the whole thing out
3. Take it inside.
4. Take off the plastic cover via clips
5. Take odd the black cover via clips
6. Slid the new white gauges over the needles and let them be on top of your old gauges.
7. Tape down the gauges on the edges so they are as flat as possible - this allows the needles to work properly.
8. Re-assemble the whole thing.
9. Get another person to help.
10. Have one person slide the gauge set in as the other makes sure to have the 4 wires come down through the holes in the dash.
11. Plug he 4 wires into the recieving end for power
12. Mount the box under the steering column, behind the plastic thing. (I used snap ties to mount it)
13. The black and the red wires need to be used for power. I ran mine with my cigarette lighter ring light, cause it turns on when the parking lights turn on.
14. Remove the plastic sideboard by undoing it's screws. (If your sitting in the driver seat, it the big plastic thing on the right of your right foot.) There is a rubber screw and a metal screw.
15. Use electrical connecters to grond the black wire to the black wire. And also use a connector to splice the red wire with the cigarette lighter wire.
16. Put the cover back on.
17. Mount the switch in your desired position.

That's how I did it. That was probably confusing, but I'm sure it will help someone.

~~Ryan

615, RE: Indiglo gauge install
hey ryan,
are your gauges for the manual or a/t? do they redline at 7000? if so, where did you get them?
616, RE: Indiglo gauge install
Posted by JasonESi_T, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well, I helped Ryan install the damn things. Not too bad. Pretty cake once I got those stupid wires from behind the guages to underneath the dash. Probably took around 30-40 minutes to install.

BTW, Ryan's eclipse is an automatic 97. He'll have to tell you about where the redline is and the place he bought them from. But they do look pretty sharp. I'm not into a lot of that stuff, but I do like these guages. Very easy to see and it even allows you to change the colors from Green to Blue. I like that...

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

617, RE: Indiglo gauge install
I have an Automatic '97 Eclipse RS. The gauges I bought are a brand named 'AC Gauges'. I bought them from a friend's company. Order from www.projectimport.com -- Their price is rather high though, but I got a deal. Mine are Pure white during day, can flip from green to blue at night, and redline at 6,500 rpm's.

~~Ryan

p.s. Yeah, forgot to give props to my guy Jason for the help with the wiring. Thanks Jason!

Haha, he had to lay down on my floor mat and got his back all wet. :-)
618, AC Indiglos for 85 shipped
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ya the Advanced Concepts AC Indiglos are the best I have seen. They are pure white faced, and also look good in terms of the font used to specify mph etc. I can now sell them for 85 shipped if anyone wants them (only auto/na/6500 or turbo/manual). You can probably win some on ebay for cheaper but I hardly see any AC on ebay, only other brands...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

619, DAMN!!!!!
Posted by eclipse_gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
DAMN!!!!!! I broke the switch that controls the brightness and changed the color from blue to green!! :-( I stepped on it while it was still hanging from under the dash (while trying to press the clutch) And the two wires that control the rotary nob have broken off. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? More importantly, does anyone know how to wire it so it turns on at max power thereby bypassing the rotary nob until I get a replacement nob?
620, RE: DAMN!!!!!
i got mine from ebay for like 50 for the blue/green and its pure white during the day, now they have some that are like 5 colors :( errr.

btw, where do y'all mount the control thingies?
btw2, i've already seen 2 talons w/ the plate towards the side, is that the way it comes or did you just drill the holes down there somehow for the bracket??
thanks

javi d
vroom n' boom

621, RE: DAMN!!!!!
Posted by Stan2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I want to get these but so far all I've seen are NA auto and turbo manual kits (regardless of manufacturer). This means I'd have to buy both kits and use the tach gauge from the turbo and other gauges from the non turbo. Not really a big deal since I've seen nearly all brands for under $100 but I figured by now one manufacturer would get hip to the configuration a make a 5 speed non turbo kit. I'm tempted to just get the turbo kit and have the fuel and temp gauges not match (I know where the needles should be anyway). These things even look good in hondas (cant miss em driving by even on the highway).

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

622, RE: DAMN!!!!!
I mounted mine in a pretty good spot. You know under your steering column, there are 2 bolts that hold on that big panel. Well, there are 2 'covers' that cover the bolts and pop off rather easily. Use a flat head screw driver, and pop off the one on the left. Cut out a small corner in the top right of the cover, in order to run the wire to the switch out of it. Then put the cover back in (The switch should be hanging down a little with the wires coming through the corner you just cut out.) Then you can push the switch against the panel, where the 2 different types of material come together. (The bottom is plastic, the top is a soft, rubbery material.) You can run 2 small nails through the holes that are already in the switch, up into the soft material and it will hold just fine. Easy to get to the switch and is a good spot.

That was kind of hard to explain cause I don't know the exact names of everything. But it should help.

~~Ryan
623, RE: DAMN!!!!!
thanks, i should get it after reading it like 22 times, i'm a little slow :)

i'm pretty sure they make the indiglos for the n/t manual cause ithink some guy posted at some forum that he had gotten teh wrong thing (his redline was at 6.5)

javi d
vroom n' boom

624, RE: DAMN!!!!!
the manual one redlines at 7000 and ends at 9000 rpms. the automatic redlines at 6500 and ends at 8000. if anyone finds the manual gauges, let us know.
I generated this page in 0.013357877731323 seconds, executing 7 queries.