Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectWanting to paint chrome rims
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=103904
103904, Wanting to paint chrome rims
Posted by MITSUracer123, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well like stated i want to paint my rims.... They are chrome and are starting to peel alot. Whats the best way wo paint them? Something cheep lol. I see people spray painting rims all the time and some look ok. But since mine are chrome i didnt think it can be painted due to its surface being so slick...
Any and all help will be appreciated, thanx
103909, RE: Wanting to paint chrome rims
Posted by xXavengerXx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You have two choices:

1) Take the wheels to the local sand blasting company and have wheels blasted.

2) Rent a sandblaster at your local equipment rent store and buy the media for blasting the wheels yourself. Always use approved safety goggles and a respirator when using a media blaster.
It is necessary to blast the chrome completely or else the paint will not stick well and will flake off later, rendering an ugly looking wheel later.

After having the wheels blasted, wash them with soap and water to remove any dust left on them. At this point you can go one of two ways.
the DIY way is to paint them. Or, you could look into having them powder coated. Powder coating will hold up to the elements of weather and road grime better, but cost more than doing it yourself with spray enamel

To paint these wheels you will want to apply an even coat of primer/sealer to the bare blasted wheel. Allow the primer/sealer to dry according to the product's directions. After drying, apply the paint of your choice to the wheel in even light coats. You don't want to apply the paint too heavy too quickly or you will have runs in your paint. After allowing the color to dry, apply at least two coats of a urethane clearcoat. Urethane holds up better than standard enamel clear.

Allow to dry for 24 hours or longer and have tires remounted and new valve stems installed. They should look pretty good and have a unique appearance to them. You can get creative and apply chrome trim rings or center caps. Or, maybe just a nice pinstripe around the rim..
Enjoy your new wheels!!!

Good luck!

104011, RE: Wanting to paint chrome rims
Posted by Malenko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
powdercoating is worth the extra money.
I generated this page in 0.007918119430542 seconds, executing 7 queries.