Go back to previous topic
Forum nameInterior/Exterior
Topic subjectRE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=102220&mesg_id=103806
103806, RE: Broked Turn Signal stays on all the time
Posted by Dyer13, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just got this issue two weeks ago and I just got around to fixing it(yea I've been driving without turn signals for two weeks, I pulled the fuse). Being that I am a poor college student, I decided to take everything apart and look at it before buying any new parts.

When I took apart the switch assembly I noticed there were three "random" pieces of plastic jiggling around in the switch. It wasn't hard to figure out where each piece went and I just super glued (Cyanoacrylate - CA)everything back in place. There is a small plastic pin that moves another plastic piece, with metal contacts on top, back and forth when you hit the turn signal, bridging the gaps for each turn signal contacts. I reassembled the switch assembly and it works fine. If the pin ever breaks, I'll probably try the screw method as mentioned earlier. It is not worth $50+ to replace a broken pin the size of the lead/graphite tip of a pencil.

So anyway, I didn't take pictures while disassembling because I didn't have the foresight to do so, but I have a couple pictures that should be helpful.

Please refer to http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Turn_signal_switch_swap for information on how to get the switch off in the first place.

Obligatory Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any results of your actions. Should you follow the instructions listed below, you do so at your own risk. The instructions and pictures are for informational purposes only.
(please don't sue me if you cut/bruise/maim/or otherwise injure yourself while following said instructions mmmkay?)

Tools Required:
1. Phillips Screw Driver
2. CA Glue
3. 15-20 minutes of time/energy

1. Make sure the battery is disconnected and you let the airbag capacitor drain (the longer the better; I just unplugged it the night before working on it. Someone said 15 minutes is fine. idk.)
2. Remove screws. (Red)
3. Pry tabs to release housing. (Blue)

1. Unplug Wire

1. Re-glue Pin/drill small hole and insert screw. (Red) This is the pin that does the "switching" of the turn signals and is most important (and yet made very cheaply - go figure)
2. Two other broken tabs that needed re-glued. I'm not positive of what they do, but why not fix them while you're in there?
3. Make sure you don't lose the white dome-shaped pieces or the springs behind them. They keep the turn signal beam centered when not in use, and bent/switched/turned when in use.

1. You can see here where the pin you just fixed should go. It has to be in the slot in the white piece or it won't do anything, or will most likely break the first time you try it.

1. Here is another view without the switch beam assembly so you can see it better.
2. Replace the fuse if you were like me and decided to drive without turn signals until you fixed this issue.
3. Reassemble everything. Reattach your battery.

Success! Now down your favorite beverage and start driving again without the worry of getting hit or pulled over because of the lack of a turn signal.
I generated this page in 0.010195970535278 seconds, executing 6 queries.