Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectdownpipe......YES or NO
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=6954
6954, downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by travmeubanks, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have an eclipse gst the model came stock turbo.... i have an apexi n1 catbak exhaust on there short ram and hks bov should i get a downpipe yes or no? if so does it matter what brand or ebay the way to go ?? haha others have said ebay but i want to get it from someone here!
6955, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by edxmon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
:wary :scratch im confused...
6956, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if anything, wrong forum, try here;

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=17

or here;

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/

but generally best bet on a stock turbo is to get all your maintainence done first (T-belt, seals, etc.) and make sure the thing at least runs like it did when it left the factory. Then decide on what turbo you're going to run, no use buying/making a downpipe that you'll only use for a few months or so. Good luck
6957, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Do it now and get it over with, it won't hurt...
Doesn't really matter what brand as long as it bolts up to whatever cat/tp you plan on running now and in the future adn if you live where the weather sucks, I suggest SS.
6958, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by hookduphatch, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if you go with the apexi n1 downpipe, it'll delete your cat, and make a straight through exhaust system. plus it's a very nice unit, what i run on my car.
6959, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by 1fastpos, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Most aftermarket downpipes delete your cat.

Yes buy the downpipe. Port the o2 housing and exhaust manifold too.
6960, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 1fastpos
Most aftermarket downpipes delete your cat. Yes buy the downpipe. Port the o2 housing and exhaust manifold too.

Actually, not many do at all...
Don't go porting anything yet. You're still on the stock turbo. It'll be awhile before you NEED porting.

6961, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
you'll see okay gains from the downpipe and exhaust, but you'll notice a huge difference if you switch over to hard intercooler piping. by far the best bang for the buck in my book.
6962, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by shazow1969, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
YES Get a down pipe but don't get an Ebay special. Pony up the bux and get a quality DP like an Apexi or Greddy. If you get the Apexi N1 DP it eliminates the CAT so save your stock DP and CAT to throw on there for inspection. Porting the O2 housing is also a good idea even though the stock t25 turbo is very small it can still help spool time and is a good idea especially if you are planning on upgrading your turbo down the line.

Check out www.extremepsi.com they have a ton of parts at great prices for your car.

-Kevin
6963, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by 1fastpos Most aftermarket downpipes delete your cat. Yes buy the downpipe. Port the o2 housing and exhaust manifold too.
Actually, not many do at all... Don't go porting anything yet. You're still on the stock turbo. It'll be awhile before you NEED porting.

Tony if that statement was true then he certainly doesnt need a 3" exhaust or a downpipe for a t25. :thumbsup But since he wants to get maximum exhaust flow he should port the o2 housing and stock manifold.

6964, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by 97eclipse97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by eclipzGST
Originally posted by 1fastpos Most aftermarket downpipes delete your cat. Yes buy the downpipe. Port the o2 housing and exhaust manifold too.
Actually, not many do at all... Don't go porting anything yet. You're still on the stock turbo. It'll be awhile before you NEED porting.
Tony if that statement was true then he certainly doesnt need a 3" exhaust or a downpipe for a t25. :thumbsup But since he wants to get maximum exhaust flow he should port the o2 housing and stock manifold.

I agree. Free'er flowin exhaust certainly won't hurt you, he just probably won't see big gains, if any. Also check out Megan Racing. They seem to make very good products for cheap money. I myself have a Road Race Engineering stainless steel down pipe that has worked out very well for me. It is also 2.5" up to the just after the flex, where it grows to 3".
6965, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
megan racing is basically obx. don't do it. you get what you pay for.
6966, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by destruckeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Save it and get that puny t25 replaced.
6967, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by synthetek, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by destruckeclipse
Save it and get that puny t25 replaced.

If he upgrades then turbo then he will really need it, so might as well get it first.
6968, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Not really, I've run a stock dp with stock cat, stock dp with hi flow cat, and a delete pipe and really, the difference was not even noticable.

I think it really depends, what hes going for. Daily driver / mediacore power numbers doesn't even really need it.

Then again, I'm probably more worried I'll get stopped by a mobile smog check again...... Smog Nazi Cali.

IMO, just run a high flow cat. I got the same response from that as the delete pipe on a Big16G.
6969, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Originally posted by hookduphatch
megan racing is basically obx. don't do it. you get what you pay for.

So what you are saying is a apex downpipe is better than a megan racing downpipe? Can you tell me why ?

6970, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Originally posted by hookduphatch megan racing is basically obx. don't do it. you get what you pay for.
So what you are saying is a apex downpipe is better than a megan racing downpipe? Can you tell me why ?

Most people say megan / obx are cheap pos's.
6971, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Originally posted by hookduphatch megan racing is basically obx. don't do it. you get what you pay for.

Most people believe anything sold on ebay is crap. These same people spend 10k in mods getting all the name brand stuff and run 12s all day in the 1/4.

Friend of mind traps 130+ with a megan downpipe. I purchased a ss Mandrel bent 2.75" megan downpipe off ebay for 130 shipped. Apex wants 200+ for their SS downpipe. Worth it? No. My friends and I can vouch for the megan. We are all 450+hp cars.

My point is do not turn your nose up at parts because they do not have a big name. Greddy has by far the worse exhaust I have ever seen. They sell the most over priced pos tube and fin FMIC out there. Yet people buy it because its greddy. The choice of the average ricer.

sigh

Good luck.
6972, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Most people believe anything sold on ebay is crap. These same people spend 10k in mods getting all the name brand stuff and run 12s all day in the 1/4. Friend of mind traps 130+ with a megan downpipe. I purchased a ss Mandrel bent 2.75" megan downpipe off ebay for 130 shipped. Apex wants 200+ for their SS downpipe. Worth it? No. My friends and I can vouch for the megan. We are all 450+hp cars. My point is do not turn your nose up at parts because they do not have a big name. Greddy has by far the worse exhaust I have ever seen. They sell the most over priced pos tube and fin FMIC out there. Yet people buy it because its greddy. The choice of the average ricer. sigh Good luck.

Ah, very well said. I would take a home made diy / budget item over expensive name brand items too. Don't take my previous post wrong, I said "most people". I have a greddy exhaust, and I hate it too, lol.
6973, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by jack_of_trades, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the porting of the O2 housing helps most with the horrid boost creep issue with the stock T25 rather than greatly increasing HP. Granted it does help with flow and DOES increase some HP.
6974, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by BMPDirk, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Most people believe anything sold on ebay is crap. These same people spend 10k in mods getting all the name brand stuff and run 12s all day in the 1/4. Friend of mind traps 130+ with a megan downpipe. I purchased a ss Mandrel bent 2.75" megan downpipe off ebay for 130 shipped. Apex wants 200+ for their SS downpipe. Worth it? No. My friends and I can vouch for the megan. We are all 450+hp cars. My point is do not turn your nose up at parts because they do not have a big name. Greddy has by far the worse exhaust I have ever seen. They sell the most over priced pos tube and fin FMIC out there. Yet people buy it because its greddy. The choice of the average ricer. sigh Good luck.

I agree with 1fastpos. I used to have a megan racing dp which deleted the cat. It had thick flanges and looked like it was quality. the only reason i got rid of it was because it was too loud for me. Cost me $130 shipped.

I then went to a $250 buschur dp with $100 high flow cat. It was much quieter which is what i wanted, but as you can see it was much more moeny. In terms of quality, i personally think the megan dp was much better qaulity with much better craftsmanship.

If you are looking for performance gains and don't care about sound level, go with megan. At half the price, it's better than a buschur $350 setup
6975, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by T_K, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Most people actually praise their Megan stuff.
6976, RE: downpipe......YES or NO
Posted by Remy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I agree with 1fastpos simply because he has a very fast car and he has been in dsms since 99". I would also like to add that he is quite good looking too :D

----------------------------------------
GT35 and stuff.
Lucky Number 6 ...
I generated this page in 0.013189077377319 seconds, executing 7 queries.