Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectgreddy turbo?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=6382
6382, greddy turbo?
Posted by 2gsx95guy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i have an question...i live in california...so chances are i can't get my car to pass smog if i swamp out my turbo for an bigger turbo...so i was planning on doing an greddy turbo conversion with the whole intercooler kit....i just wanted to know how fast would i be going 1/4 times....i'm also gonna get an high flow cat with an apexi N1 cat-back looking forward to getting an apexi s-afc an MBC...i already got an injen intake...an a boost gauge...

thanks
6383, RE: greddy turbo?
Posted by icedout, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you have to take it to the track if you wanna find that out.... no one knows how you drive or anything else about that car...... and how would you not pass smog..... i passed with a 16G and 510 injectors with a 2 1/2 turbo back.... and we have the same smog standards as cali.... i live in NJ and have lived in cali too, so i know
6384, RE: greddy turbo?
Posted by EcLIpsInEmCEe7, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
wouldnt it be hella beaper to getta different turbo, like a big 16g
6385, RE: greddy turbo?
Posted by 2gsx95guy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
EcLIpsInEmCEe7 correct me if i'm wrong....don't the 18g greddy kit makes more power than the big 16g...the only thing that i heard people say is wrong with the greddy is the fact that they have an small turbine...
6386, RE: greddy turbo?
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't really see what the smog difference would be with a "bigger" turbo or with a GReedy kit that also uses a "bigger" turbo. I would think that your chances of failing smog would be the same either route...
the high flow cat however, WILL make a difference.

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net

http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM
6387, RE: greddy turbo?
Posted by Vandy420a, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
OK just for argument's sake, could you theoretically pass smog with ANY turbo if you turned the boost way down? THis was proposed to me by a friend...I think he may be right, but my argument was that you'd run WAY rich and fail it that way...but if you had an SAFC and bothered to tune it all the way down with the boost I guess it'd work. In theory, though, if you were running a little on the lean side, couldn't you still pass with even as much as 25psi? Emissions just checks for the complete burning of the gasses, correct? and measures the partial burns that give CO instead of CO2?

matt

P.S. I theory all our cars should be giving off is CO2 and H2O, as anything will give off if burned completely, especially 8 carbon chains found in higher "octane" gasses....CO is just a bi-product when the reaction does not completely take place
6388, RE: greddy turbo?
Posted by klipzracer, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah you want to run as lean aas possible for an e-check.
I generated this page in 0.0087440013885498 seconds, executing 7 queries.