Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectARP head bolts torque specs
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=5044
5044, ARP head bolts torque specs
Posted by techboy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Anybody know if the ARP torque specs on the cylinder head are same as the stock head bolts ones listed in the OEM manual. The additional 90 degree turn in the last step seems REALLY snug to me.
5045, RE: ARP head bolts torque specs
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Um, are you in the right section? 4g63? I torque my arps to around 100 ft/lbs (with prelube) depending on application.
5046, RE: ARP head bolts torque specs
Posted by DirtMegirt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have the spec sheet that came with my kit for the 420a. It recommends 85 ft./lbs. using the manufacturers tightening sequence. I used the factory torque steps up to 85 but omitted the 1/4 turn because that would have put me past 85 ft./lbs. I'm not sure about the 4g63 head, but maybe that info will help.
5047, RE: ARP head bolts torque specs
Yes, I am looking at the right thing in the right section. I am looking at a Mitsubishi Motors issued Service Manual. Volume No. 1 (3 volume set). Section 11, Engine Overhaul, page 11B-39; 2.0 4G63. It says to tighten all head bolts in sequence to 58ft.lbs. Then it says lossen all bolts, retighten to 15ft.lbs. Then it says mark each head bolt w/ paint, turn 90 degrees in sequence. Then turn another 90 degrees in sequence.

I don't have the sheet that came with my ARP's anymore, and I can't remember what ft.lbs I tightened them to the first time. So, like I said I'm looking at the factory specs and it seems a bit snug.

I just had my whole head re-manufactured, installed O/S valves with a 4 angle valve job and I'm hoping to bolt the head back on this week.
5048, RE: ARP head bolts torque specs
Posted by hookduphatch, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I torqued my ARP's to 90 ft. lbs.

It's not uncommon to go 100 ft. lbs.

most crucial step though is to sequence. For example 30 in the correct torque pattern across the entire head, then to 60 same fashion, then to 90.
5049, RE: ARP head bolts torque specs
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by techboy
I don't have the sheet that came with my ARP's anymore,

Ah, that 'splains it! Cool.

Refer to Hookedup's post and you're all set.

5050, RE: ARP head bolts torque specs
Thanks guys ... that was a big help. 90 definitely brings back memories. I'm hoping to get the head bolted back on tomorrow night (Wed). I was taking pics of it tonight with it's nice new shiny vavles :thumbsup
5052, RE: ARP head bolts torque specs
UPDATE: Got the head back on w/ the O/S valves and the car back together. She's gettin inspected hopefully as we speak. I might actually have a car on the road before I have to garage it for the winter ..... :thumbsup
I generated this page in 0.0086569786071777 seconds, executing 7 queries.