Go back to previous topic
Forum name4G63 Tech
Topic subjectTime for a Rebuild
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=67&topic_id=4974
4974, Time for a Rebuild
Posted by Talon93Awd, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well now... ok to start off first i dont boost past like 9psi is what i set it at. i have boosted it at like 13psi the highest i believe maybe a few times. since thats out of the way so you guys dont think i beat it to the ground. well i was driving to my friends work and i boosted about 10lbs and i let off the gas to stop at a stop sign. after a sec i let off the car backfired, not extremely loud but noticable... so i figure ok.. so i kept driving and i gave it about half throttle at about 4-5k rpms and hitting this loud knocking noise!! so i baby till i got to my friends work (happen to be Murrays Automotive) lol. have my friend come out and tells me its most likely a stretched rod?! he says possibly a bent valve? i pulled the dipstick and there was no metal shavings.. next plan is to pull the oil pan and check for pieces. So basically the car i thought was perfect and daily driver capable is no longer!! now i need to buy a rebuild kit and god dangit!! errrr ahhhH!!

Let me know what you guys think and if you have ever had this problem and what it was? think i could have jumped the timing belt a couple notches? if you guys need anymore info let me know. ill work on the oil pan tomorrow night.. looks like i need to take alot of stuff off to get the pan off?

AHH!! damn DSM's but i love them
4975, RE: Time for a Rebuild
Posted by JayWeezie88, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Same exact thing happened to me...you might need a new head...when I pulled my head off I found that the spark plug was hitting the top of the piston and that some of the valves got banged up.

I have a 2g head and a 2g 7bolt block if you need it.
4976, RE: Time for a Rebuild
anything wrong with the head? hopefully my pistons didnt get banged up. i was thinking it skipped a tooth on the timing belt but theres no broken teeth and plus i dont think it would make it make a clunking noise haha. so how difficult to pulled the head off the block? turb off, ex mani off, hard to get the intake manifold off?
4977, RE: Time for a Rebuild
Its really not difficult to take the head off just time consuming and tedious.

You have to drain coolant, drain oil, remove all the vac. lines, coolant hoses, fuel lines, electrical, exhaust manifold, spark plugs, etc.

Then you have to cut or remove the timing belt (I OJ'ed mine since I was going to redo the timing anyway.) and then take off the VC and loosen and remove the head bolts (and get arps lol).

Make sure everything that is connected to the head is off and don't forget about the bracket under the intake manifold.

After you're 100% positive everything is off pull the head off (I had to actually stand on my car and pull up).

After I did that I examined the head and saw there was knicks on the valves and even worse there was marks on the #2 piston.

Thats what the piston looked like, I'll load what the head looked like when I get back from vaca.

4978, RE: Time for a Rebuild
well im gonna start pulling the head off this weekend and see what i find. i really hope its a valve and not a rod or something.. would it be better just to buy a used head or rebuild mine? new valves are like $5 each
4979, RE: Time for a Rebuild
ok bad news... its not the head. i pulled it off and nothing is wrong with the valves or anything. pistons are fine and the cylinders walls are fine.. gotta be the connecting rods.
4980, RE: Time for a Rebuild
Posted by ScreaminE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
6 bolt time
4981, RE: Time for a Rebuild
Just thinking...you sure it wasn't lifter tick? lol
4982, RE: Time for a Rebuild
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by JayWeezie88
Just thinking...you sure it wasn't lifter tick? lol

wouldn't that be a bitch...
No way would I have pulled the head without knowing for sure. You could have just pulled the plug s and looked in with a flashlight for signs of interference.
4983, RE: Time for a Rebuild
nah i had the car started and i was under and on top and the noise for sure a knocking noise not a tick tick tick.
I generated this page in 0.0084929466247559 seconds, executing 7 queries.