Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Pits v3.1
Topic subjectspherical rotary valve cylinder head
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=1113
1113, spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv.html

pretty sick
1127, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
extremely sick
1131, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by 95_ESi_Person, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that would be nice for my car, I'd sport that setup if it was made for our cars.
1132, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by youkickedmydog, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It seems like latly lots of people are making all sorts of crazy shit for motors, I was reading a dec issue of street something(theri all the same to me) and they had a collection of concept internal cumbustion motors, one looked stupid as hell, it was a cylander 6 inches tall and 6 inchs in diameter and the crank ran though the center of it. That little thing running off 89oct made 48 hp.
1143, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yea some engineers are even experimenting with plastics for motors :eek
1165, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by micyek, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
christ on a crutch...why can't I think of something like that? So simple yet brilliant.
1207, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This has been around in the F1 series for quite a while (maybe it's CART, or some other ridiculously expensive racing series) point is, it was only a matter of time before this technology made it to the performance market for consumers. Pretty soon we'll see some Honda boys zippin' around with it, then a few Toyota's, give it 8 or so years and someone will figure out how to put one onto a 420a poorly. So in lieu of that, I want to get a jump start on the flaming and say, Knight never made anything good for our cars!
1210, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by micyek, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You know the more I look at that the more I wonder things.

Like how do they machine the spherical pockets in the head with a smooth finish held to any kind of close tolerance that application needs. Also I wonder how the keep the fuel atomized "inside" the valve as it travels around. It seems like the fuel would have a tendency to pool and dribble out as the valve "opens" to the intake position. Or do they have the injector positioned in such a way that they spray directly into the cylinder when the valve is open...but that doesn't make any sense because then there wouldn't be any time for the fuel to mix with the air.

Curious...I'd like to learn more then that site has to offer.
1212, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Deja vu. :twitch
1229, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by WIDECLIPSE, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by micyek
Or do they have the injector positioned in such a way that they spray directly into the cylinder when the valve is open...but that doesn't make any sense because then there wouldn't be any time for the fuel to mix with the air.
It could be used with direct injection. I think Mazda and a few other companies are using this method. I don't know if this is what you were referring to or not.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/application.jsp?nodeId=02Wcbf56hRQ2N5

1249, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I believe BMW started incorparating the direct injection in their 740 or whatever it is, the big mother, in '03 (this post is more a reaffirmation of ^^ then anything else)
1458, RE: spherical rotary valve cylinder head
Posted by Max-Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well isn't that just spiffy. I'm tempted to do a little bit of research and make me one of those... but I doubt that'll actually happen... lol
I generated this page in 0.0080769062042236 seconds, executing 7 queries.