Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectRE: I know solid axles can be good :)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=588&mesg_id=22215
22215, RE: I know solid axles can be good :)
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by VX100
I help out at brown university with the formula sae team, and our car has solid front AND rear axles, but we kick alomst every other team's butt. (6th place in the world last year at the annual competition!) We've got a mumford linkage on it, a very old and esoteric design which works, if it's designed right. We've found a front and rear solid axle has some advantages for an autocross race only vehicle, especially when you have to build the whole suspension yourself from scratch, and with the mumford links. And, we don't have to worry about any other schools using it at the competition, they are so hell bent on using 4 wheel independent A-arm setups that they'll never use solid axles. and, our car (and every other sae car) uses a LSD. Todd Scungio 98 RS 15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

I'm on Auburn's Formula SAE team and we placed 4th in the world for 2003 using a 4 wheel independent A-arm setup.

I was wondering though when you were talking about the FWD 1G's, what in the world is the point of having a live rear axle?
I generated this page in 0.010194063186646 seconds, executing 6 queries.