Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectBrake fluid flush
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=5502
5502, Brake fluid flush
Posted by icjeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, well i just picked up my new brake pads and RRE lines today from RRE. So when i install my new lines i am going to want my flush my whole system and use hi-performance brake fluid.

Is there any special way to change your brake fluid? Should i let all the fluid out first and then change all the lines and then pour the new stuff in and bleed the brakes? How should i go about doing this? Thanks
5503, RE: Brake fluid flush
Posted by vegasdsmr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i was told when bleeding brakes, do the pass side rear, driver side rear, pass side front, driver side front. furthest away from the brake fluid resevoir to the closest, in order.

i dunno much else, but i made sure i remembered that when i was told about brakes
5504, RE: Brake fluid flush
Posted by preci_eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just make sure you stay away from getting air into the lines. Air, air bubbles in brake lines is a big NO NO.
5505, Ian...
Posted by eclipsekaiser, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
keep me informed of how your brake cahnging goes as I will be doing my real soon. How much are the RRE pads and line you pick up run ya?

kaiser
5506, RE: Ian...
Posted by vegasdsmr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i bought the metal masters pads from them for 55+shipping (just the fronts). i know there are a bunch of other places that have similar prices, but rre hooked me up at the buttonwillow racetrak for free, so i had to pay them the extra 5 bux in good faith.
5507, RE: Ian...
Posted by icjeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the lines were $79 and the front pad were $55. And they suggested using Valvoline or Castrol hi-performance brake fluid.

5508, RE: Brake fluid flush
Posted by juan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Make the investment and get a MityVac. $30-40 at any auto parts store (Pep Boys) or tool supply (Harbour Freight) store. Lets you bleed any hydraulic system (clutch, brake, whatever) by yourself, and can often be used for other things like siphoning or measuring engine vacuum.

I have the Valvoline Synthetic. Best fluid easily available, short of Ford Blue. This will do the job for anyone who's not into hot lapping (although I've used it well for this) and actual racing. Recommended to me by RRE.

juan
5509, RE: Brake fluid flush
Posted by eclipsekaiser, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
thanx for the tip Sean, Ian and Juan. Lucky for me there is a Harbour tool near my house. But while bleeding the brakes, how do we flush the old fluids out??? and replace with vavoline brake fluid.

kaiser
5510, RE: Brake fluid flush
Posted by gzrs99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Basically when you are bleeding your brakes almost the same as flushing the brake system. Keep bleeding the brakes till clear brake fluid runs(drains out) What you have done is flushed out the old brake fluid with the new one. Thats it....
Just remember to bleed the Rt rear first, Lt rear,Rt front,lt front last. Keep your brake resesivor full.
I generated this page in 0.0083439350128174 seconds, executing 7 queries.