Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectTire Dilemma
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=4617
4617, Tire Dilemma
Posted by guest, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
For those that remember I've been having serious tire issues with my current set of tires ... BF Goodrich Scorchers. I've had 2 of the tire's sidewall fail on me already. The both front tires. I came to the conclusion that the side walls on the tires just suck. And they suck in the rain but I already knew that going in. Well today one of my replacement tires went bye bye. Same thing as the other 2 that went out but more severe. The other 2 times I only had "tumors" on the side of the tire where the sidewall broke. This time there were 2 holes ... one about 1 1/2" and the other 1". So back goes the tire again. I have a life time warranty and road hazard on these tires so I never have to buy new ones and I decided on not replacing them till the treads get worn out but that'll never happen at this rate. I've had to replace a tire 3 times now and one I actually had to replace twice. Insane. So just for reference .... BFGOODRICH SCORCHERS SUCK BIG TIME!!!!! Don't ever buy them!!

On a side note I'm gonna replace these POS before the end of the year ... and suggestions on a tire around the size of 225/45/17 that I should get? Also something with a fairly reasonable price?

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS
Power up with 2 scoops of candy coated kaboom.
4618, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by vegasdsmr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
get sum nitto 450's or 555 extremes

definately shitcan the ones u got, get a refund for em too

Sean G
vegaspimpin 99 gs ounce edition (wish it was a Q P)
http://seangordon1.tripod.com

short ram intake w/custom dual ram air
2.5 catback w/5zigen muff
NGK BKR5E-11
8.5 mm magnecores
AFX UDP in da mail
hurricane gs shiftermod
symborski shifter kit

4619, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by vector_racing, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I second the nitto 450's, I liked them...

www.vectorracing.com
4620, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Or kumho ecsta supra 712's about 105 each for that size from discount tire I think...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom - Parts and Performance

4621, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by Kory, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
nittos sucks ass... read up on the reviews at tirerack.com

i'd get kumhos or azinas (sp)... peeps at the auto x race with em so they are cert. good... scorchers suk ass btw

Kory
fasteclipse@cisco.com
aim sn: dukmahsik
Happy Honda Hunting!
4622, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah you should get some sort or refund or credit on them.

I love my Potenza RE-730's.

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,
The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,
And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All Motor Beast in the Making

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads
4623, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
are Yokohama Paradas good????
4624, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by sd_eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Parada's are the current tire im running. I was fairly happy with them. Got some decent mileage out of them and the handled pretty decent. Only gripe I have is you get a howling sound cuz of the tread pattern. Next im trying a set of the Kumho's someone mentioned before. We'll see how those go, they get slapped onto my car tomorrow.
4625, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by Jen, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
We have Nittos and love them. We've had them on both AWD cars as well as the NT, in the summer, in rain, ice and snow and track :)for over 2 years now. No problems at all :)

Jenni & Cody
'95 Talon Esi
'90 Talon TSi AWD (11.52 sec)
'91 Eclipse GSX (14.22 sec, the Beater...)
'91 Eclipse GSX

4626, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by koolade9, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm running 555extremes....

the roads in IL suck major ass. and there are potholes galore. I've hit all kinds of shit on accident and I've never put as much as a scratch on my 18s. VERY strong sidewalls. and they get very good wet traction too. In the world of 18" tires, they are also very affordable(like 140ish).

4627, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by eclipsekaiser, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Potenza S02 are the shits. A bit on the pricy side, but worth it.
4628, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by Ichiban, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I went with Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's on my 18's. They ride great. My other choice was the Potenza RE730's, but they're a little expensive in 18's. I think the price on 17's isn't too bad, though. My brother has some BFG Euro's and those thing suck too. They have the sorriest treadwear rating. Check out http://www.tirerack.com. They have a sweet system where you can compare tires.

Christian
99 GS Anniversary Edition

http://www.ichibanracing.com/
4629, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by Irfan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
re730s
4630, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah the nitto 555 is the best tire on the market now, and im not saying that just because i own them, i knew this when i bought pirellis instead to save money. the 555 has the better compound on the market (most tread contact coupled with the stickiest handling) ive nothad a single problem with the nittos. i ran one flat and warped it (of course) and i drove on one tire for 3 months with a slice all the way around the tires sidewall and it never split or broke on me.

www.blue2gnt.homestead.com www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

4631, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by koolade9, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i dig the sig:D

4632, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by Super20G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have had great sucess with Bfgoodridge Scorcher T/A's 225/18''/35s. I have had 2 sets of them and they grip good under high boost runs after their warmed up good. They do suck in any weather condition but theire great summer tires, cant ask for too much from pretty much street slicks.
--
Brad Rickard
98 GS HRC Stage V (nuff said)
4633, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by HondaHater21, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey, BFG's dont suck. Did you know the air in the tires? I work in a tire shop and when the tire pressure is low and then the tire gets hot, the sidewall goes at high speeds. Ive seen 3 BFGs die to the same fate.

"Only Pirates Should Say R"

http://www.geocities.com/hondahater21/
4634, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Kumo Ectsa 712s will do good.

Ru sure you had the tire inflated to the right PSI though? If you make it stiffer you won't ride on the sidewall as much. Just something to think about. I heard Nittos are only good for dragging, because the sidewalls are soft also, I like em hard.

I've been running on some Firestone Firehawks for a while now and they haven't given out on me yet, bwahah they're all bald now thanks to ebrake drifting and autocross though. :P

Grrr it's gonna eat you up!
AFX Pulley | Autometer Bezel Gauge Holder | Modified A/F Ratio Gauge | B&M Super Oil Cooler | Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings | JAZ Oil Catchcan | Performance Muffler | HKS Air Filter | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | FU, RU, RL, and RRE FL Tie/Strut Bars | RS to TSi Rear Disc Mod | RS to TSi upgraded F&R Sway Bar | 97' Spyder Eclipse 5 Spoke Wheels | HKS Standard Blow off Valve | HKS TYPE 1 Turbo Timer | Star Stage 1 T3/T04E BB Turbo Kit | Starion Front Mount Intercooler | Schroth Autocontrol 3-Point Harness | and 1 HiGhLy SkIlLeD DrIvEr! |
Performance b4 Lookz, a car can only be as fast as it's driver! ^_^
4635, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by whodatt1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yoko paradas here, I like them, the grip really well as long as it is not wet, then its a completely different story...

Whodatt1
97gs

4636, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by Jen, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey HadesOmega
I had Firestone Firehawks and they sucked a$$. I hate those things... One of them blew up after like 4000 miles. The thread separated but the rubber was still attached to the wheel and flopped all over at 70mph. Busted taillights and put scratches on the whole side of the car from the front fender to the rear bumper, decklid and even the roof. The damage is $3400 and the insurance doesn't wanna pay cause they found out that that tire I bought in the spring is over 8 years old... :(

I hope you have more luck with yours! :)

Jenni & Cody
'95 Talon Esi
'90 Talon TSi AWD (11.52 sec)
'91 Eclipse GSX (14.22 sec, the Beater...)
'91 Eclipse GSX

4637, Jen were these the firehawk SS10 tires
Posted by DeanoD, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that were on the 14 inch factory alloy wheels that I sold you. If they are, I might have the receipt for them. The original tires were bought from a firestone dealer in april 1997 and then two of them were replaced free of charge at later dates due to failure in the cords. 215/60R14 Firestone Firehawk SS-10 From that point they were all wearing fine with no problems.

If these were totally different tires, then just disregard this post.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
#62 STS SCCA Arkansas Region
http://arscca.org

4638, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by DeltaOperative, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
:sigh: i had the kumho ecsta supras and blew a side wall out on the right front, and the metal braces were pertruding through the left front.
4639, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by DeltaOperative, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i just bought toyo proxes t1s 235/40 zr18s for my new rims. Cant wait to use them.
If you look hard enough, you can find the kumhos for 85 a piece thats how much i paid for mine.
4640, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by klipzracer, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hey, homeskillet! you work for delta airlines????

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com or
chrisdishmon@yahoo.com (pretty original, huh?)

http://www.threebrain.com/weeeeee.html

1990 GSX (14.1 in the 1/4 mile, so far)
1997 RS (it just looks neat)

4641, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by guest, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I always kept between 28-32psi in the front tires. And i would maybe put it to user error if it happened maybe once ... but 3 times in less than one year ... you've got to be kidding me.

Anyways, I've decided to go with the kuhmos ... good reviews and a really good price for the size i want. Now all i have to do is come up with 500 bucks. I'll probably get it by Christmas. hehe

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS
Power up with 2 scoops of candy coated kaboom.
4642, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by SonicYan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Heh, can't beat my generic tires, goes by the brand Jupiter. Lol, Yeah!!! I don't know about their traction, but they were good for a 16.3 in the 1/4. I'm soooo poor, 14" rims and unknown tires... :-(

SonicYan
1997 Eclipse RS
Basic bolt-ons, too poor and dumb to use NOS/Turbo :P
4643, RE: Tire Dilemma
Posted by eclipse804, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Haha ya those jupiter tires are tight!

Avenger, I would recommend going with at least 35 psi in all tires especially with the low profiles...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom - Parts and Performance

I generated this page in 0.013068914413452 seconds, executing 7 queries.