Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectinstalling springs
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=3823
3823, installing springs
Posted by 1TuffRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am installing springs on my ride this weekend and I just want to make sure this is the right compressor, so is this it??

-Toney
'97 RS
GST exhaust, modded intake w/ k&n, axxis pads, Hurricane_GS shifter,
Rockford Fosgate MP3 Player
TDaug@yahoo.com
3824, RE: installing springs
Posted by Logic3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That'll work. I didn't even need a spring compressor though.

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com
-Clean as Hell and No Rice
-Mods:
Iceman||Greddy 4-1 Header||Greddy SP Cat-Back||AFX UDP||Magnecore 8.5mm Plug Wires||NGK Plugs(hotter)||Susupension Technique Springs||RRE Rear Camber Kit||Front and Rear Upper Sturt Bars||Konig Rated-R 17x7(white)||Falken GRB 225/45 Tires
All Motor or Turbo...hmmmm
3825, RE: installing springs
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that looks like it

and actually with lower springs you might not even need the compressor. I remember a while ago when installing shocks in my car, some of hte springs didn't need the compressor to be put back on the car

but better to have it

"Keep on charging the enemy, so long as there is life."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.589 @ 88.22 MPH
2001 DSM Shootout Winner - NT Class

Modifications: GS-T muffler, Iceman cold air intake, AFX underdrive pulley, Brospeed header, Apexi Super AFC, Extrude Honed intake manifold, KYB AGX shocks, Powerslot front rotors, Porterfield R4S front brake pads, and occationally Mazda RX-7 rims with 225/50VR16 Michelin Pilot SX-GT tires
3826, RE: installing springs
Posted by klipzracer, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
and you can rent those at autozone and just pay a deposit and get it back after you return it.

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com or
chrisdishmon@yahoo.com (pretty original, huh?)

http://www.threebrain.com/weeeeee.html

1990 GSX (14.1 in the 1/4 mile, so far)
1997 RS (it just looks neat)
http://www.homestead.com/klipzracer/index.html

3827, RE: installing springs
cool, that pic is from the autozone website. I would rather have it while installing the springs incase I need it rather than having to bum a ride to the nearest autozone

-Toney
'97 RS
TDaug@yahoo.com
3828, RE: installing springs
Posted by daved, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Trust me you need those to take off your old springs!!! But that is the right tool for the job. Yes it is very true you might not need it to put you new springs on but you gotta use that bitch to get the stock ones off. I didn't have to use it to put my Skunk2 coilovers on, just had to use it to take my old shit off.

3829, RE: installing springs
Posted by tenzoeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
A pair of locking pliers would come in handy.
3830, RE: installing springs
Ewww...locking pliars. Be very carful with those if you use them. You can f*uck your strut up....don't ask.

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com
-Mods:
Iceman||Greddy 4-1 Header||Greddy SP Cat-Back||AFX UDP||Magnecore 8.5mm Plug Wires||NGK Plugs(hotter)||Susupension Technique Springs||RRE Rear Camber Kit||Front and Rear Upper Sturt Bars||Konig Rated-R 17x7(white)||Falken GRB 225/45 Tires
3831, RE: installing springs
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yep! thats exactly how I fukked up my strut (I was too ashamed to admit it before though) :)
I had pushed the boot up as far as it would go before I clamped down but guess it wasn't good enough.... There should be a better way to hold the piston other than that little thing at the top. After you've back the nut off that far, what else can you do?

-Tony 98' GS-T

http://www.hometown.aol.com/turboclipz/index.html
AIM: ynot420247 or gotBOOST2g
yeah, "diamonds are forever" unless yur timing belt goes or you get crankwalk... :)

3832, RE: installing springs
I have to ask, why would one of those be useful and how can you fuck up your strut with it

-Toney
'97 RS
TDaug@yahoo.com
3833, RE: installing springs
the teeth from a set of vise grips will scratch up the strut and puncture the seal in the strut body. when i take struts apart i take a towel and fold it over and put it inside my vise grips so about three layers of towel protect the shock shaft(hehehe, i said shaft) and doesn't f@#k it up.

Chris Dishmon

3834, RE: installing springs
I completely stripped the top of the strut. It was horrible. I had to use a drill to make a zillion holes before I could take a hammer and break the strut shaft in half.

Do what Klipz said and wrap the top of the strut with a towel or two or three.

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com
-Mods:
3835, RE: installing springs
Posted by EvuLFleA, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have no clue how you guys broke your shit... Im confused I guess. I just did my rears by myself and used the spring compressor at the shop. On of the spring compressors on the wall type deals....

3836, RE: installing springs
Posted by tenzoeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Use the spring compressor until the spring isnt touching. Next take the locking pliers and hold the top of the strut(flat peice) hold that and then with a wrench take the bolt off. You might want to spray it down and let it sit for a min. You dont want any tension on the bolt, it will go alot easier.
3837, RE: installing springs
Oh cool, so I am just using the locking pliers as leverage to get the nut off the top of the strut.

-Toney
'97 RS
TDaug@yahoo.com
3838, RE: installing springs
I would just like to say UPS aint bout shit! They misrouted my package twice and it still hasnt gotten here. Its a damn shame that I pay for 3 day shipping and dont get my damn package for 7 (they said expect it on Tues). Sorry, but I needed to vent. I installed my speakers and made a PVC cold air intake and wanted to install the springs at the same time, but UPS fucked me over! OK that was the last time, I couldnt help myself.

-Toney
'97 RS
TDaug@yahoo.com
3839, RE: installing springs
hahaha! UPS is a bitch! i will wait at home all day for some ish and they will deliver it as soon as i leave. f@#kin bastards.

Chris Dishmon

3840, F@CK UPS!
They were suppose to drop off my digital camera friday but misrouted my package. It ended up in in Knoxville somehow. So I called em and they said it would be here Monday(yesterday). Guess what, no UPS man. So I called em this morning and they said it would be here today....I can only hope. I hate UPS!

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com
I generated this page in 0.0084779262542725 seconds, executing 7 queries.