Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectAnyone do the ball joint recall recently?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33847
33847, Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It's been stated here previously that by law, Mitsubishi has to replace the front lower balljoints and not simply inspect them. Reading the official NHTSA recall, it sounds like they could do either, but I'm hardly fluent in legalese. My balljoints were inspected a few years back by the dealer but were never replaced. Now my car is 16 years old, and I see play in both balljoints. I understand that the recalls exist indefinitely - so has anyone had luck with dealer replacements recently?
33848, RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?
Posted by J, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Last I went to satan (been a couple years), they said they don't even carry our parts anymore... under any part number (Mitsu/Dodge/Chrysler). So I would be extremely shocked that they would do anything.

- J

33849, RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I doubt the legal obligation is an indefinite time frame. At 16 years....your screwed.
33850, RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?
Posted by John99RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I was in the dealer years ago for a transmission flush and they replaced mine without even telling me per the recall. I noticed after looking at the service ticket when I got home. If I remember right, they oem dealer control arms are only $40 each. I've also replaced them myself a couple years ago while dealing with suspension noises.
33851, RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?
Thanks guys. Had some health issues recently so I couldn't fix things myself, so the recall option was worth a shot. I called up the local Mitsu dealer and they said there weren't any open recalls on my car. I wasn't sure if dealers even carried parts for our cars anymore.

I ordered MOOG replacements from rockauto and they look nice. I've removed both bolts from these arms when replacing axles, but never removed the balljoint nut. Hopefully it's not too difficult.
33852, RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?
Posted by J, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Nope, not difficult at all... just get a ball joint separator from Harbor Freight for like ~$15 and it just pops right off easy!

- J

33853, RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?
You are right, it wasn't too bad. Didn't use a ball joint separator though, just a big hammer and channeled anger. :order
I generated this page in 0.0093710422515869 seconds, executing 7 queries.