Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subject2 new 205/55/16 tires here in SoCal: Front or rear?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33834
33834, 2 new 205/55/16 tires here in SoCal: Front or rear?
Posted by jazzkeys, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Howdy, y'all. How y'all are?

The left front Goodyear Eagle LS (Like!, but the UTQG is only 360/A/B) has a tread bulge caused by a belt failure and must be replaced. I'm gonna replace 2 of the tires and keep the best of the others. The shop (America's Tire) says that new tires should go on the rear to prevent oversteer on wet pavement. There's a poster in the shop that the service writer points to as his basis of authority. However, I'm not convinced, given that I drive on dry pavement here in SoCal. The weight bias of my Eclipse GS is frontward, and FWD "pulls" the car. The front tires carry a heavier load and wear faster. Seems to me that on dry pavement the newer tires on the front will even out the treadwear rate. I can have the newer tires rotated to the rear in the fall, in the unlikely event that we'll ever see rain again here in SoCal.

I think that Michelin produced this video:

Comments?

Andy in The OC.
33835, RE: 2 new 205/55/16 tires here in SoCal: Front or rear?
Posted by jazzkeys, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
America's Tire's policy is to mount new tires at the rear because of "safety" considerations. No exceptions. So that's where they put my 2 new Goodyear Eagle LSs.

If you want new tires on a FWD vehicle on the front, you'll hafta do it yourself.

HTH.
I generated this page in 0.008681058883667 seconds, executing 7 queries.