Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectClunk only in reverse and hitting brakes
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33531
33531, Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes
Posted by xxsoccerguy55xx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have a video of me here, backing up. I didn't have it in reverse. It was in neutral and on a hill. While rolling backwards if i hit the brakes it makes a clunking sound. The weird thing is that it doesn't do it while I am driving forward. I don't know if it has something to do with the brakes or the ball joint, or some kind of bushing. In the video, i keep pumping the brakes, that is why you hear a pretty rapid clunking sound. I would love to get this fixed soon, let me know what you guys think.

http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff429/xxsoccerguy55xx/?action=view¤t=video-2012-01-07-15-44-50.mp4
33538, RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes
Posted by nub, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Checked all the bolts around the brake calipers? Especially the mount brackets? Also could check out the motor mount bolts and crossmember bolts.
33540, RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes
Posted by nub, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Also, an easy way to check the ball joints and bearings is to jack up each wheel and yank on it / kick it in different directions. It shouldn't move or make noise at all.
33542, RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes
I got the car aligned and the tires balanced. The car still pulls to the left and shakes a little( kind of feels like a wobble). I don't know if that could be the same thing making the clunking.
33556, RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes
Posted by LE30vm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Have you checked your motor mounts? This always happened over the last few months since my mounts were almost non-existant
33557, RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by LE30vm
Have you checked your motor mounts? This always happened over the last few months since my mounts were almost non-existant

This was already brought up.
33558, RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes
Originally posted by LE30vm

yes I did check them. I did the front motor mount mod. They seem to be okay. Why would that only happen in reverse though?
I generated this page in 0.007627010345459 seconds, executing 7 queries.