Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectbrakes not locking up like they should
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=33030
33030, brakes not locking up like they should
Posted by susafuss, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok the other day i got in a minor fender bender the other day (bitch stopped short not really any major damage) but the weird thing is my wheels did not lock up like they should have. Since the accident i bled the system and popped out the pads inspected them and the rotors all seem fine but when i took it for a spin and tried to lock it up it seems like only the passenger side is locking up. I am thinking buy new pads and rotors anyway to see if that helps. Pedal will go all the way to the floor and there is resistance but kind of a spongy feeling to it. I am kind of leaning toward the brake booster possible vac leak maybe i have my vac box teed off of it.

info on current setup
-i4 w/rear drums (so bigger brake booster)
-base model so no abs
-gsx calipers(three years old)
-dba 4000 Series Rotors(three years old)
-hawk HPS Street brake pads(three years old)

brake are not that old and still have about 1/4 pad left on both sides
33031, RE: brakes not locking up like they should
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You have air in the brake system, no doubt about it.
33032, RE: brakes not locking up like they should
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
You have air in the brake system, no doubt about it.

BAM!

33033, RE: brakes not locking up like they should
Posted by electrohead, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'd most definately go with air in your system. Just make sure you bleed the brakes in the correct sequence, or you'll end up with the same problem. Also, how are your drum brakes? If your shoes are out of adjustment, you could also lose braking power. The pedal might feel spongy if more fluid is going to the brake cylinders to move out the shoes. Happened to me. Spongy pedal and crappy braking, no matter how many times it was bled (or by whom) and when I re-adjusted the back, everything was fine.
33034, RE: brakes not locking up like they should
Posted by susafuss, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
rear drums should be fine i did them about 4 years ago, I will try adjusting them and then rebleed the system.

I always start rear rear and work forward when bleeding ie..
1.passenger rear
2.drivers rear
3.passenger front
4.drivers front
I generated this page in 0.0088310241699219 seconds, executing 7 queries.