Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectneeding some help with traction mods
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=30904
30904, needing some help with traction mods
Posted by TEAM OVER REV, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have recently gone to the drag strip in Great Bend Ks. There I was in for a rude awakeing. I noticed many nice set up turbo cars running 14's, and 15's. One Wheel Wonders
I was originally going to purchase the portfueler for my car but, I am going to go the traction route and would like some help.
What do you guys think of the follwing set up for drag racing:
Ouaife Lsd
225/50/R16 Hoosier A6 Dr's
Tien S-tech springs
Short throw shifter
Prothane Motormounts
KYB Gr-2 Struts
I would appreciate any help and suggestions. I have searched and heard the phantom grip isnt worth it and others say it is.
I hope I placed this in the right section. Thanks.

30905, RE: needing some help with traction mods
Posted by red96rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Skip the Quaife and run with the upgraded OBX. it will save you about 700$ easily.
30906, RE: needing some help with traction mods
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by TEAM OVER REV
I noticed many nice set up turbo cars running 14's, and 15's. One Wheel Wonders

Haha, yeah, I beat them at the track regular like.

Originally posted by red96rs
Skip the Quaife and run with the upgraded OBX. it will save you about 700$ easily.

Yup, (unless you are comfortable with the cash) check the wiki for the modifications needed on that.
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=OBX%20LSD

Originally posted by TEAM OVER REV I am going to go the traction route and would like some help. What do you guys think of the follwing set up for drag racing: Ouaife Lsd 225/50/R16 Hoosier A6 Dr's Tien S-tech springs Short throw shifter Prothane Motormounts KYB Gr-2 Struts

I'm partial to the KYB AGX's, ajustability ftw. Soft in front and hard in back.

As for the springs, I like the Tiens for the street but if I'm looking at straight strip, a couple of things; I want the front end to be lower than the back end. I used the Tiens on the fronts and stock height on the backs. While I did that in my DD, it just wasn't as much fun in cornering out on the road (though when I put my 18 x 7.5's on, it was much better). I also did a set-up with the 2" drop Megan's in front and stock in back. I like that extra 1/2" or so much better. I'm not sure of the ride quality on full Megan's, so I don't know if I would go that route for the road. I would definitely be comfortable with the Tiens all around on the road.

Cool, with the Prothanes on the daily. If you aren't scared of louder cruising and higher vibrations, then go with the solid front roll stop mount.

I would rather have a 15" tire on the front, but with availability/cost of rims and tires, I'm thinking the 16's are what you want. Get as much sidewall as you comfortably can.

30907, RE: needing some help with traction mods
I hope I placed this in the right section. Thanks.

....and because we are talking about both the road and track and suspension mods, this could have been put in suspension or racing but I figured I would put it here for clarity and more "rounded" responses.

Appreciate your consideration though.

30908, RE: needing some help with traction mods
Posted by susafuss, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If you want something more solid then the Prothane you can get some solid delrin mounts i think they are awesome and boy did they help get rid of my wheel hop. I am running all 4 mounts.

http://www.disturbingmotorsports.com/
30910, RE: needing some help with traction mods
Thanks for the help. I want to get the quaife and know it is expensive, but I plan on making some serious hp and good runs; so the best is essential.
But If I decide I go with the p.g or the obx lsd, I could spend my money on other modification. What do you guys think?
Is this the best route, or am I going to be limited?. I have also considered just getting everything else except the lsd. I dont know how good 60' are with just drag radials.
Thanks.
30911, RE: needing some help with traction mods
But If I decide I go with the p.g or the obx lsd, I could spend my money on other modification.

Take the PG out of the equation. Even overlooking any quality considerations, it just does not work well. You can overcome the pressure very easily. Better than stock but not by much.

I have also considered just getting everything else except the lsd. I dont know how good 60' are with just drag radials. Thanks.

Big problem here would be peg legging. Without an LSD of some sort your car will be inclined to be a "one wheel wonder" and it won't matter about the tires, your 60's will be the same (notwithstanding if you weight balance your 4 corners. But even finding someplace you can do that is difficult and the more power, the harder it is to hold the double strips).

As for drag vs slick; get slicks for the track. No contest if you are looking to push some power FWD.

30913, RE: needing some help with traction mods
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Wheelie bars!!!

30914, RE: needing some help with traction mods
Yea. Wheelie Bars and carbon fiber driveshaft has also been added to the list.

I guess I have to go with the quaife. If thats what bullettdsm is running in his 13s 2gnt. I was looking for a good store, what do you guys think of http://www.optionimports.com/quaife.html. I would like to know any feed back if any of you guys have purchased from there.

As for the slicks; yea I want some, but they are not available on the rims I have.
Thanks
30915, RE: needing some help with traction mods
..... go with the quaife. If thats what bullettdsm is running in his 13s 2gnt.

I wish. Too rich for my blood. I am running an ERT retrofit. Works great, but the company that did the fitting is out of business.

I'm in the process of putting the OBX in my other car.

Originally posted by TEAM OVER REVI was looking for a good store, what do you guys think of http://www.optionimports.com/quaife.html. I would like to know any feed back if any of you guys have purchased from there.

I do know that they are out there now for under $1000. Do a google. I don't remember where I saw it :scratch . I think someone posted up on our site.

I generated this page in 0.0089511871337891 seconds, executing 7 queries.