Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectRX-7 rims on an RS
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=306
306, RX-7 rims on an RS
Posted by SaberKhan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
There's a local guy here with a late model Twin turbo RX-7. He's getting a set of Racing Hart's and wants to sell his. I know that they're extremely light, but I'm curious to see what they look like. Anyone here have a pic of an Eclipse with RX-7 rims on it? I know someone here has a set that they use on the strip. Anyhow, any input would be appreciated.
307, yes, that would be me :D
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've got a pic, send me your e-mail addy and I'll mail it to you. The ones I have aren't chrome, some of them are. My addy is on the link under VX100 on this site, since I am a moderator :)

They are really light, but it depends on the what year. Earlier ones were lighter (13.8 lbs) and supposedly "sometimes" were prone to cracking (if they haven't cracked by now, it shouldn't be a problem, but check the inside of the spokes where they meet the outer part of the rim to be sure) The later ones were about 16 lbs and won't crack at all, no worries.

I've drag raced with them, and I wouldn't suggest it for the drag strip, I was slower with my aftermarket setup compared to stock alloy RS rims and tires. But for handling and autocross a 205/55 or 225/50 tire with the RX-7 rims will be a great improvement, even the stock GS/GS-T 205/55 tire will handle better because the wider RX-7 rim (8 inches wide vs. 6 inches for the stock rim) will support the tire better.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH
308, re: rx7 rims
Posted by juan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

I _loved_ the huge increase in transitional response I got when upgrading from stock wheels to the '7 rims with 225/50s. When you jerk the wheel, the car turns RIGHT NOW. In order to make you car handle awesome, you must do these things (in no particular order):

- springs and shocks (performance ones, not cheezy rice-boy crap)
- wider wheels/tires
- upgraded sway (whole set or rear GS-T)
- proper alignment

Even though my tires are all season, I only have the rear sway upgrade, and my aligment is not optimized, my car handles hugely better than when stock.

juan

309, don't forget upper and lower strut bars
Posted by 95ESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
l e o n

I generated this page in 0.0093400478363037 seconds, executing 7 queries.