Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subject$15 rear camber...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=15264
15264, $15 rear camber...
Posted by coppereclipse95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have done the $15 rear camber mod, except I've put 7 washers instead fo 4. Has anyone else done this? Even with seven, I can still see my camber agnles being bad. Do you guys think its safe to add more to it? Or too much? I just went through NEW tires in less than 3k miles... I got prokits on right now. Could it have been my tires??? Tell me what you guys think! Can't afford tires every other month!!!;(
15265, RE: $15 rear camber...
Posted by fasterGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Did you get an alignment yet? Most tire wear is due to the toe being out of adjustment. I think 7 washers is pushing it a bit, I wouldn't go more than 6 myself. With a 2" drop and 4 washers my rear tires didn't wear at all in 4-5 months.
15266, RE: $15 rear camber...
My toes should be set right. I took it to a shop near by here. My toes should be sittin correctly. Could it be the tire then? I got H rated Kumhos. My fronts are in normal condition with no major wear on one side. I don't know how much the prokits drops but....i don't know... I guess I could try to get my toes checked at a different place.
15267, RE: $15 rear camber...
Posted by Mystic511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
seven washers??? Maybe you have a positive camber now? :wary

Did you get longer bolts for the 7 washers? If not, that's not too safe... and if you did get a longer bolt.. the bolt itself might have bent or warped because 7 washers is just too much for it to hold.

I have pro-kits as well and I only used 4 to be within spec. 4-5 should definately be enough.

I would examine that bolt and take out some washers.. then go to alignment shop and realign everything. Something isn't right.
15271, RE: $15 rear camber...
Posted by shuwa29, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i too am lowered around 2-2.25 inch mark and i used 4 washers and that brought me into .5 degrees of factory specs. so i added 2 more and now i need to get it realligned again. so i would say 6 should do you fine. but do get an allignment.
later
15272, RE: $15 rear camber...
Posted by fauchpj, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well first off, how much are you dropped

7 sounds like too much for that bolt unless you got a longer one

i used 5 on my 1.5" drop and it was well within specs

get an alignment and then look at the printout they give you of your camber and toe
15273, RE: $15 rear camber...
I really don't know how much i'm dropped. All i know is that i got prokits on illuminas. So you guys don't think it could be the H-rated tires??? Maybe because its harder and stuff??? I do keep about 37psi in it though...Maybe thats the reason....i dunno...
15274, RE: $15 rear camber...
Posted by Amish_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you can't look at it to tell if it's 'off'. remember we're supposed to be negative in the rear. it wouldn't be your tire. if it was it would look crooken when it was taken off the car. plus you'd hear it when you drove. after you do the mod you need to get it aligned. unless you've had one recently your most likely out anyway. be sure to go somewhere that gives like a 6 month warranty. let them adjust it and tell you how far out your rear is after like 5 washers. if they say your still to negative to be in spec add 1 more washer for a total of 6. than go take it back to check the alignment. unless your like Lt. commander data you can't tell what your camber angle is by looking at the tire. you can tell when a car is way out but you can't tell if it's correct.
15305, RE: $15 rear camber...
I'll get my car checked tomorrow and see how much I'm off by. I swear my tires look like /-\. It looks pretty bad just by looking. two months ago, my readings were -3.2(left rear) and -3.0(right rear). But that was without the $15 mod...i'll find out tomorrow!!! Thanks guys!:thumbsup
15321, RE: $15 rear camber...
Posted by HiOnPSI, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i did 6, and my rear tires do not show uneven wear anymore. this is with the sportlines.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02
15335, RE: $15 rear camber...
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think i got about 5 on my 2" rear drop on the H&R sports, and my rear tires wear perfectly. I went all spring and summer without any abnormal wear on the rears. My alignment spec sheet that was given to me verified my specs. I personally would not put 7 washers on. If you need that much camber correction, then purchase some Ingalls rear camber kits, as those are made to correct safely for that much negative camber.
15345, RE: $15 rear camber...
How much air do you guys keep in your tires??? The tire shop told me that I should keep it near 40. Even though stock said low 30s.
15356, RE: $15 rear camber...
Posted by ez, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that seems really weird that you need that many washers for just prokits :o
15473, RE: $15 rear camber...
I had to get new rear tires because they were showing some wires...}( But, then I took it to get it alighned. the camber numbers are: FRONT: L -2.1 R -1.9 REAR: L -2.5 R -2.4 So how do they sound? Still bad after 7 washers??? I got some H-rated Kumhos @~37psi. Do you think this can fix my tire replacement every 3 months??? I went throu tire changes before I even had a chance to change my oil! lol They did tell me that my rear toes were off by an inch. WOW....
I generated this page in 0.011790990829468 seconds, executing 7 queries.