Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectYet another pcv-valve/oil burn question ( nubi, long)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=82309
82309, Yet another pcv-valve/oil burn question ( nubi, long)
Posted by Noobi146, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
As I understand it, the 420a pcv system works like this. Fresh air comes in from the air intake, after the air filter through the "breather tube". The blow-by air, with goes down the piston through the crankcase and thus has some oil in it, goes through the PCV tube (one on the pass. side of the VC) to the inlet manifold.

Now I have searched for this, and found various references on oil in the breather line, and recommendations for catch-can there. My problem is that I have oil in the PCV line, but the breather tube is clean as can be. I am burning (it is is not on the floor or in the coolant) about a quart of oil every 3-4 weeks, which is about 200 miles of driving for me. I sometimes see smoke from the exhaust, usu. at stop lights.

Now to my question (finally :) Can this all be from oil through the PCV line into the combustion chamber. BANME!, the engine runs fine otherwise, though I have not done compression tests yet.

Appreciate your response.
-BANME!i
82310, RE: Yet another pcv-valve/oil burn question ( nubi, long)
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Plug it and see if it stops. it's theoretically possible.
83587, RE: Yet another pcv-valve/oil burn question ( nubi, long)
Posted by Noobi146, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Plug it and see if it stops. it's theoretically possible.

OK. It works :) The oil consumption has reduced to reasonable levels. Can both the lines be plugged permanently?

83669, RE: Yet another pcv-valve/oil burn question ( nubi, long)
Posted by sike, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've had problems with oil consumption ever since I've had this car. maybe a quart every month and a half or so. You've had sucess stopping this by plugging the PCV valve/tubing? Never heard of that but I would definetally like to fix this. I'm getting tired of having to put in new oil all the time. I'd like to run synthetic again but its gotten quite expensive having to put so much oil into this thing!
83698, RE: Yet another pcv-valve/oil burn question ( nubi, long)
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
now thats a knowledgble nooooob

i bet he searched :duh
I generated this page in 0.01000714302063 seconds, executing 7 queries.