Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectWater Sound in Dash... progressing
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=76861
76861, Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Posted by .bs0d, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey i've a similar post to this before but I wish to discuss this progressing problem as to what might be the cause of it? Is it serious or typical?

When i start my car (cold) I can hear the sound of water swishing by comming from the middle to passenger side of the dash. AND -- when I press the gas and rev the engine, it makes the noise... but after it warms up, the sound is gone.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions?
76862, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Posted by Uberingram, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Heater core. Top your coolant level off? Make sure there is no air trapped in the system.
76863, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Heater core could be bad? I frequently have to top off my coolant, is that another symptom of bad heater core? And how do i get air out of the system, leave the car running without the radiator cap?
76864, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Posted by Steve, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that happend to me..spl told me it was just the radiator havin fun...but anyway just flush coolant system and then refil then run the car with the top off till there arent any bubbles bouncing around and the coolant staying level. Then no air shall be there.
76883, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Posted by 97whitESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
maybe its your thermostat opening?
76887, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You have air trapped in your cooling system. Open the radiator cap when the car's cold and you'll probably see that it's empty.

You'll also find that your heater stops working at the same time.

99% chance it's a leaking headgasket, burning off coolant.
76889, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Nah. Just coolant in the heater core. Mine's always done that.
76926, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Originally posted by thedawg
99% chance it's a leaking headgasket, burning off coolant.

^^Eh, thats something I didnt wanna hear. But, how can it be burning off coolant if it only happens at cold starts? (when it hasnt been started for a day or so).
76938, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Posted by SPL_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
wow..the first time ive seen dinos reply go completely ignored, lol.

its normal. you may have a little bit of air trapped in there causing the sound, but its not going to hurt anything. as usual, keep an eye on your temps and coolant level. its really not that complicated.
76939, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Posted by thedawg, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
IMO you should never have ANY air in your cooling system. It's normal if you've recently flushed your coolant. Otherwise you have a leak somewhere. The cooling system is designed to purge out any air, it does take some time though, maybe a day or two. If the reservoir is at max, and the radiator has been topped off a few times, and then after a week or two you've got air in the heater core again... you have a leak.

If you simply allowed the system to run dry, or for some reason your heater core is blocked and not allowing the air to purge out of the system, maybe you should use a cooling system flush- either the one in the can or the pressurized backwards method. Refill and if it doesn't happen again, no worries.
76941, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
Posted by sek95GS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dood, get your radiator fixed or buy a new one. Cuz that nice leak isnt halping anything.
Gabe
76942, RE: Water Sound in Dash... progressing
I know man, but that just recent happened again, it was fine. It seems like all the reply's are the same that its air, so all is good.
I generated this page in 0.010923147201538 seconds, executing 7 queries.