Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectFuel Pump Failure!?!?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=71005
71005, Fuel Pump Failure!?!?
Posted by .bs0d, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My car has occasional problems where i'll pull to a stop and sometimes it will die. It has also happened on the highway- and sometime when i got to take off, there's like a lag, then it takes off. And (damn) sometimes when driving down the highway it will like sputter and then go back to normal.

I dont know why--i've been thinking its symptoms of a fuel pump malfunction. I have not replaced any of the two O2 Censors...would they cause this? Is there a way to check them, and would they trip the check engine light (fuel pump or 02 censor) Anyone have any ideas?

I just put on MSD Coil Pack + MSD Plug wires. I've replaced the fuel filter and its done no good to fix the prob (eventhough it needed changed) But im sort of at a loss here. I dont have any check engine lights or anything. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys--
71009, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!?
Posted by a_miller_76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know this sounds stupid dude, but check your coolant temp sensor. Seriously. I was having the same problems and I replaced my sensors, my coil pack, injectors, plugs, wires, fuel filter, o2 sensor, bla bla bla. It was a bad coolant temp sensor to blame. Take my advice, learn from my fuck up, go get your codes checked.
71018, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!?
71010, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!?
Posted by techboy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My first guess would be that you need a new fuel filter, but you say you just put one in. Your O2 sensors have nothing to do with it. If one of them went bad, the car would still run just fine, you would just be throwing an code on the check engine light. Besides, most of your O2 sensors are on your exhaust, which has nothing to do with why your car is sputtering - it's probably fuel/timing related.

I would double check everything with your MSD ignition install first. Was it doing this before that install? Have you replaced your air filter recently? When is the last time you changed your spark plugs? Do you have any fuel mods? If your car is older and you have never changed injectors, it may be time for new ones. Check these things first, fuel pumps rarely "go slow". They just go, stop working one day and that's it.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you some other options. Good luck figuring it out.

EDIT: Nevermind, on the MSD ignition, I see you installed a coil pack, not an ignition.
71011, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!?
Posted by GhEttOrAiD, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This happened to be on the way back from a body shop... SOMEWHERE theres a drain on the battery, so if it sits for more than like...I guess the 9 days it was there... it will cut out when I come to a stop... I had to start it up like 5 times just to make it home a few miles away...

Had the car been sitting/what condition is the battery in?
71012, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!?
Originally posted by techboy
My first guess would be that you need a new fuel filter, but you say you just put one in. Your O2 sensors have nothing to do with it. If one of them went bad, the car would still run just fine, you would just be throwing an code on the check engine light. Besides, most of your O2 sensors are on your exhaust, which has nothing to do with why your car is sputtering - it's probably fuel/timing related.

Uhm, wrong. You have 2 o2 sensors in your exhaust. 1 is upstream on your down pipe and it is responsible for checking fuel to air ratio and telling the ECU the information which in turn is translated to injector pulse width modulation. If you have no o2 sensor up front your car can't modulate it's air fuel mix and it just pours in fuel causing you to run extremely rich which will lead to backfires and all kinds of shit.

The second o2 sensor is just behind your cat. It doesn't effect calibration but the ECU compares it's signal with the signal received from the front o2. If the ecu sees a difference in signal then it understands that the cat is fuctioning correctly.
71019, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!?
Originally posted by GhEttOrAiD
Had the car been sitting/what condition is the battery in?

I drive the car everyday- the battery terminals corrode up alot and they've been quite a bitch, however i just went and spent $25 for those gold plated terminals and everything and they seem to be doing fine.

Originally posted by techboy
Was it doing this before that install? Have you replaced your air filter recently? When is the last time you changed your spark plugs? Do you have any fuel mods? If your car is older and you have never changed injectors, it may be time for new ones. Check these things first, fuel pumps rarely "go slow".

Yes, its acted with way off and on for about a year...My air filter could use a change in the near future, I have a cool air intake. No fuel mods to the car either. Spark plugs were changed about 3 months ago. I bought Bosch Platnum 4 --where they have 4 ends on them and you dont gap them.

Originally posted by a_miller_76
I know this sounds stupid dude, but check your coolant temp sensor. Seriously. I was having the same problems and I replaced my sensors, my coil pack, injectors, plugs, wires, fuel filter, o2 sensor, bla bla bla. It was a bad coolant temp sensor to blame. Take my advice, learn from my fuck up, go get your codes checked.

Coolant temp sensor? Where is it exactly, and what does it look like? The check engine light isnt on... does it still throw codes? I put on a new thermostat (like a 160 degree) because I hear that it helps...

Also keep in mind, it dont act this way all the time either. It does it only ever few months- then it goes away. And when its in this phase, i cant remember if I said this in my first post...but when I start the car, the only way to keep it running is to give it gas and hold it for a while... after 30 sec or so, its fine.

--I just called autozone, they priced a coolant temp censor for $20.99 (if thats what is causing the prob.)
71025, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!?
Yeah, mine was like that for awhile but I just ignored it, then it just went fubar one day. My coolant temp sensor was reading -29 on a warm engine. Go to autozone and pay them to scan your car.
71030, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!? [PICS NOW INCLUDED]

^^These are the pics of the condition of my sensors. Im not sure if that plays a factor or not. these are indeed what you were talking about right?

^^This clip was very loose, and pretty much fell off when I touched it. Im sure it didnt have a good connection. but its not leaking, I just loosened it up, then re-tightened it. But that couldnt be good..lol.

Anyways, AutoZone here will check your car, but they said they cant hook into the computer unless your check-engine light is on?...

-bs0d
71034, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!? [PICS NOW INCLUDED]
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
/\/\/\/\/\/\ HOLY FAST & FURIOUS BATMAN!!! /\/\/\/\/\/\
71036, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!? [PICS NOW INCLUDED]
lol, yea yea yea...
-the decals are not the problem eh!?

i like them...and arent nothing to take off; anyways!!.....

thoughts on the prob?

-bs0d

71041, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!? [PICS NOW INCLUDED]
Yeah, mine looked just like that, but it's visual condition doesn't mean shit. You'll have to get your car's ecu read.
71077, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!? [PICS NOW INCLUDED]
Ok, but i was wondering if it still throws codes if no check engine light is on? If I remember right, autozone said they couldnt check it if the check engine light wasnt on.

-bs0d

71078, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!? [PICS NOW INCLUDED]
Originally posted by .bs0d
Ok, but i was wondering if it still throws codes if no check engine light is on? If I remember right, autozone said they couldnt check it if the check engine light wasnt on. -bs0d

Uhm, it's not gonna throw a code necessarily. My car wasn't, but datalogging it showed it wasn't opperating correctly.
71106, RE: Fuel Pump Failure!?!? [PICS NOW INCLUDED]
can autozone check datalogging, or will i have to go to some mechanic that'll charge me $50+ a hour?

-bs0d
I generated this page in 0.0096359252929688 seconds, executing 7 queries.