Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectReading A/F gauge
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=683
683, Reading A/F gauge
Posted by Avenger, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I know I have posted this question before but I read somewhere that the A/F gauge is not accurate at WOT. Wierd thing is my readings just jump back and forth from lean to rich UNLESS I am at WOT. Autometer Phantom A/F gauge. I'm trying to figure out what gives. Thanks

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS
684, RE: Reading A/F gauge
Posted by guest, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I am not to familiar with the A/F gauges but from what I have gathered I think the only time you can really get a reading is when you are at WOT. That is when it stays relitively still and doesnt bounce around.

DAVE_FL
97GS
AEM CAI
AFX PULLEY
AFX solid motor mount
Magnaflow exhaust
Sparkco 9mm wires
Eibach Pro Kit
tokico shocks
Altezzas
A Badass sound system
Indiglows,neons,and all that good stuff...hehe

685, RE: Reading A/F gauge
Posted by Stan2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You are correct in some aspects but the gauges are very accurate at reading the voltage (all it is is a voltage meter. doesn't take alot of sophistication to produce an accurate one, just look at pocket testers). Problem is they dont read in fine enough detail. For example with the autometer you have the last led is at .1V, the next to last .95 the one before that .90 then .85 and so on. The first problem is as you will notice two-four leds are lit at one time at WOT. first you must determine which is brightest. say the brightest one is at the third led .90V. All you really know is its between .85 and .95V. In reality .86 is bordering on unsafely lean while .94 is pretty rich. Mine hovers between .90 and .95 led at WOT. All its telling me is I'm running a safe ratio but it cant really be used to tune for max performance without being able to read in finer detail than .05v. And the autometer has 20 leds total. Those meters with only 10 leds and so on are absolute junk. You have a little to work with at .05V. The gauges themselves are as accurate as your o2 sensor.

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS but T soon!

686, RE: Reading A/F gauge
Posted by Avenger, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Stan,

So what should I be looking for when trying to read the A/F. At WOT what should it be ideally and what is LEAN? Same for cruising.

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS
687, RE: Reading A/F gauge
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Cruising, it's not gonna help. it'll bounce around as the ECU plays it's trim games. At WOT, with an LED gauge it's hard to tell, and as i don't have one, i can't answer. I use a Jumptronix gauge that reads in .01V increments on an LCD screen. Looks like an Indiglo clock. it's only good for WOT tuning. Partial throttle it's useless.

.82 is nasty lean.
.86 is dangerously lean.
.90-91 is about where you want to be.
.94-96 is rich.

i run about .94 @ 5psi @ WOT

yet i have nasty, scary grey plugs. Eeewww.

Get the Mitsubishi Technical Information manual for the 95-99 Eclipse HERE!
http://www.heavenz-not-0verflowing.com/files/dsmmanual.pdf
688, RE: Reading A/F gauge
Posted by 96NOS_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
A little info.... If you ever wanted to know exactly why it bounces around at cruising and is rich at full throttle than this is for you :)
During cruising the computer is in "closed loop" as far as the fuel trim meaning it is a preset fuel curve. At WOT the computer actually controls the curve by the voltage it reads from the o2 sensor.
With the "blinky light" gauge it is almost impossible to tune it to an exact voltage, (I think it reads between .75 and 1.00 in .05 increments) but there is someone who has putzed around with those type of gauges to make them read in like .01 increments but don't have the link right now.

Michelle
96 Eclipse Base Model
Best 14.6@93 w/60 shot

689, RE: Reading A/F gauge
Posted by XT_DSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
http://members.home.net/xtatdsm

http://gadgetseller.com/gauges/

that is the link 96NOS_Eclipse was talking about.

Adel

I generated this page in 0.012959957122803 seconds, executing 7 queries.