Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectrebuild then aem cam gears????
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=41010
41010, rebuild then aem cam gears????
Posted by qwad65, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hi iam going to rebuild soona nd i was going to put in some aem cam gears i was just wondering if i put them in but keep them the same dont adjust anything will it be just like stock ones just untill i break it in the i will dyno tune them i just dont want them to mess up my idle or anything when iam breakin in the engin.thankx for the help
41011, RE: rebuild then aem cam gears????
Posted by Malenko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
leaving them un adjusted wont make a differece, be like having stock ones in there (except for the the weight difference) Itd be easier to have them installed with the rebuild (or else you gotta take the timing belt off again)
41012, RE: rebuild then aem cam gears????
Posted by GhEttOrAiD, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Get some tougher cam gears... Reputable sources have told me about AEM gears just slipping apart because there are only THREE bolt points.

Noone quote me on that/hold it against me, thats just what someone told me. Heh.
41013, RE: rebuild then aem cam gears????
Posted by qwad65, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
has anyone else heard that they are not that strong or they can break easy?
41014, RE: rebuild then aem cam gears????
Posted by Malenko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I never heard that before, I have a set for my cart, jst cant find a place to install them. Im sure if the had any faults a company like AEM would be sure to rectify the situation
41015, RE: rebuild then aem cam gears????
Posted by Mystic511, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
They used to slip because the 3 bolts used to be allen wrench bolts... very hard to tighten and stripped easy. The new grade 8, 6 point hex bolts should be alot better and alot easier to torque down.

For those who have the older cam gears and want to replace the bolts, this is the only web-store that I could find that sold the bolts seperately:

http://www.carexcess.com/products_performance-maker.html?MakerCode=AEM

aem product number 1-2036 5/16 5/8" thread.
41016, RE: rebuild then aem cam gears????
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
****Just a heads up******
the AEM cam gears markings are off so be sure to line it up with the stock gears and remark the TDC marking on the AEM gear or you will get a CEL from timing belt is off one tooth and your idle will suck and have to do it all over again.

As for the slipping, yes that has happened with older AEM cam gears but they have supposedly changed the fastners that come with the gears and that isnt an issue anymore
41017, RE: rebuild then aem cam gears????
Posted by MotoFool, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
just get some crane cam gears, very nice pieces 5 point locking mechanism, better fitament and they are not off by a tooth
I generated this page in 0.0075230598449707 seconds, executing 7 queries.