Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectGas and Octane Rating
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=346
346, Gas and Octane Rating
Posted by Jen, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I was just wondering what octane rating was the best for our cars. I've used everything from 87 to 95. Some peeps say the higher the better and others say the lowest you can go without your car pinging? Or get lower octane gas and every 3rd or 4th tank get 93 or so?
Just wanting to know what you guys use and what's the best for our cars and with what kinds of mods... :)

Jen
dsmxtsi@gmx.net
http://communities.msn.com/jennicody

347, RE: Gas and Octane Rating
Posted by Junoon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I use 93 Octane.. don't have a clue why.. but it's suppose to be better and a bit nature friendly?? don't know.. but..... to me.. it doesn't hurt to put a few more cents for good stuff (if it really is good) into my car.... :-)

ENKEI RP02 17" x 7"
AF/X UDP (wooohoooooooo.. its on its way.. :-))
K&N Filter

Junoon
97-RS
automotive/industrial design student :-)
Michigan
348, here we go...
Posted by Skrilla, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This is a re-post:

Higher-octane gas simply contains the ability to retain higher levels of heat before the engine's predetermined detonation and timing. So unless you have done something to warrant the extra need of knock resistance (such as a turbo or higher compression) you are throwing away your money putting higher-octane gas in your car. It does not contain extra energy but race gas doesn't all contain the extra additives. If all you have are bolt-ons and haven't gone inside your engine, DO NOT USE HIGH OCTANE GAS. 87-OCTANE IS PERFECT. High octane gas isn't like oil: The better it is the safer your car. Higher-octane gas retains less energy than 87-octane. To prove it ask yourself how many miles you get to your tank using your 92octane+. I could redline 1st and 2nd gear at every light for my 16.9 gallons worth of gas and still get 300 miles out of my tank. Driving my car normally (which is still rough) I can get 360miles. The best I've gotten was to Arizona on a full tank and managed 400 miles. I guarantee you can't get that on 92octane and don't even think about 350 driving mild on 94 octane. As a matter of fact my friend recently started putting 87 in his tank instead of 92(mostly 'cause I was b!tching at him), and can you believe he went from 250miles to the tank to 320miles to the tank. It does make a difference. I've argued this point before with Ethan (whose credits include turbo theory and a degree in Engine Mechanics) as well as an ARCO Fuel Chemist, that's not important but it's so you guys know that spending money on 89+ octane gas is pointless unless you have internal engine work (turbo cams compression being some examples). I run higher compression and a mildly ported head with Headers, CAI, bored Intake Manifold, Bored TB, and UDP. The bolt-ons lean my fuel mixture a bit and the porting lowers compression and I still run 87 octane w/o anything close to knock, if I can do that without any problems then so should the rest of you with milder mods.

Burning fuel efficiently creates power, so you want gas with the most energy (87 octane).

If knock is occurring you sacrifice fuel economy for the addition of high ignition (or engine) timing performance (which results in HP) by upgrading to higher-octane (higher knock resistant) fuel.

Therefore, higher octane only yields power if utilized...

...And the ONLY case of this is when knock is occurring.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"
349, RE: here we go...
Wow...

Jen
dsmxtsi@gmx.net

350, RE: here we go...
Posted by dsm1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
lol.....hey you asked jen:)

e-mail: blitzdsm1@aol.com
351, RE: here we go...
No problem guys, unnecessary high octane is my pet peev(?)

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"
352, RE: here we go...
And I'm glad I did :)

Anybody know about Turbos? I put 93 in the GSX most the time. Good? Bad? Doesn't matter?

Jen
dsmxtsi@gmx.net

353, Good!
Nothing lower than 92:)

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"
354, RE: Good!
Posted by dsm1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I've turbo for about 3 weeks now and I try to get 93 when i can (not all stations carry 93) mostly 92...theres one gas station that sells 97 0r 100 octane, I might try some of that but @ 2.50 gallon it can be Cha-Ching!

e-mail: blitzdsm1@aol.com
355, damn skrill.....
Posted by eclipsekaiser, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I never knew O-wise one.....:P let us know when you need us to pitch in for the stroke install.
356, Cool...
...and if you want, I can show you how to install the 420 into our cars. I will definitely need your help soon though:)

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"
357, RE: Cool...
Posted by eclipsekaiser, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
sounds good. Get a few more guys in there and we'll have a party......with all menzs....:P hahahaha
358, RE: here we go...
Posted by DSMLVR, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Skrilla, you are the man. You hit it on the head. WE DO NOT NEED higher then 87. Here, each step up is 10 cents a gallon increase in price so WHY PAY $2.50 EXTRA each fill up. Put that in a MOD FUND each time you fill up and use it to dress the car up or Speed mod it. THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO USE THE 93 :)
359, RE: Gas and Octane Rating
Posted by mike95rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I don't know, because most of you guys live in cal, but here in NJ they put an additive in the gas during the winter, it's something for emissions. I don't know what they put in it, probably piss, because you lose like five miles per gallon, and my car would ping on premium. Now there starting to use regular gas again.
360, RE: Gas and Octane Rating
Posted by EvMan2345, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Chemical they use in the winter is MTBE

361, Here in Cali...
...aLL stations use MTBE.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Peace and Turbo Grease"
I generated this page in 0.011558055877686 seconds, executing 7 queries.