Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: Marketing question
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=28280&mesg_id=28313
28313, RE: Marketing question
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That would be insane!

I don't know if many people are going to be willing to pay $2400 for a new block, plus however much money for supporting mods would be needed (huge turbo, stand alone setup, new tranny and axles and whatever).

I think it is a great idea if you are going to build a drag racing only engine. It could make the 420A the king of sport compact/import racing, the 4g63 and honda motors would become obsolete overnight.

I know an all aluminum 420A, with up to 3.0L of displacement holding 50 psi of boost and being able to take 1500 HP would be a steal for $2400, but that is just so mind boggling that I don't know if anyone would actually do it, unless they were rich and/or owned a shop and had a racing team. Maybe if their engine blew up and they were willing to go insane, but we'd betalking abut a 1500hp FWD, it would just do a 1/4 mile long burnout!

It sems too much for the average person. I would think it wouldn't be a high volume seller, maybe half a dozen to a dozen blocks a year or so.

I mean, if I blew up my engine tomorrow I wouldn't spend $2400 just to replace it, I'd get a regular block and if I needed to I'd just build up the internals and go to the 400-500 hp which is practical for a street car. The average person (even the average person who modifies cars) can't really handle more than 500 crank hp, and most people NEVER see that much hp! They maybe get to 350 or 400 crank HP (like your average turbo DSM owner once they push their car as far as they are willing to go), some get to about 450-500, but the majority of people never go that fast. We're talking about a 1500hp block, it's overkill for the average person.
I generated this page in 0.0080370903015137 seconds, executing 6 queries.