Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subject60K Tune up
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=276
276, 60K Tune up
Posted by EclipseMGP, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just got off the phone with the dealer. $900 w/timing belt

That is flat out rediculous. Here is what they told me they do

New Plug and wires; new air filter; new fuel filter; oil and filter change; new thermostat, Drain and flush coolant, new coolant.
CHECK CV joints; brakes, all hoses, lines and pipes, suspension.
---Rip-off, most of that stuff I can do myself.
They also said they chnage the trany fuild. Don't know if this applies to me, I have a manual. If this means they change the gear oil in the manual trany, I'm all for it, but I don't think that means me. any body know?

The timing belt looks hard, but how hard is it to do. The Chiltens manual shows how, but i'm a little wary of the right tension, messing with the cams that kind of stuff. They also do the other two belts. I know I've seen people on here that did it. Is It really that hard? Thanks for all your help people.
277, RE: 60K Tune up
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Dear Lord! Do you know what performance parts you could have for $900???

Timing belt is the only one of the things listed that can get a little tough. Only because of limited space to work. I haven't done it yet, but if you know what you are doing you should be fine. It's up to you. The biggest part of their service is the timing belt and flush and fill radiator.

If they are talking about changing trans fluid in your manual I suggest it, I do it every 30k.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/
278, RE: 60K Tune up
Posted by js99rs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
LAST EDITED ON 06-Apr-01 AT 10:35 AM (PST)

just get them to check the timing belt, cv joints, and hoses. for the tranny fluid, oil, fuel filter, and coolant flush go to jiffy lube or one of those places. plugs and wires you should be able to do yourself. and as for the airfilter if you dont have an intake with a reuseable filter get one. just saved you about $600
*if you need a timing belt get some one else to do it(some one you trust will cost alot less than the dealer). but it you might want the dealer to check the old one first.

I generated this page in 0.0097441673278809 seconds, executing 7 queries.