Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectJapanese Spec 420a
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=22358
22358, Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by pedalt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I just had my engine replaced with a J-Spec pullout. Does anyone know the difference between the J-Spec and the American 420a?
22359, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by Fast420A, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

HHAHAHAHAAHAH

Since when has CHRYSLER made their engines in Japan?

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - No 3rd Gear synchro

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

22360, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
It's Japanese Spec... The motor was imported from Japan.
22361, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
You got any pics of this "Imported" American motor?

Look here for some more info. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/2dohc.html

________________________________________________________________________________________

www.Fast420A.com

22362, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by theallpowerfulme, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
mabye he just means that it is a 420a out of an eclipse that was exported to japan. In my autoshop in high school we had a japaneese spec saturn motor and drive line w/ pcm all of the labeling was in japaneese and the steering was reversed, but it was still a saturn motor.
22363, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Doesn't make it a jap spec motor, especially since there aren't any jap spec 420A's.

www.Fast420A.com

22364, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by Breezio, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i think someone got ripped off.
22365, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by eclipsekaiser, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I can't believe this individual is askign the question after plopping down the $$$ for a J-Spec 420a motor.

I don't think they even use this motor over there. If so in what car?
22366, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by jcurcillo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The 420a is an import, but not from Japan. It was made in Mexico. The best you can do is to order one with some tequila, but no J-Spec.
22367, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have heard b4 that a lot of the j-spec eclipses had NT 4G63's. Some have turbo on them, or have it added. Dunno how true that is, b/c bomex obviously has turbo.
22368, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yes the only eclipses sold in japan were 4g63's either the turbo or NT variety. there was no 420A in japan. if he has an engine in his car that came from japan someone wasted lots of money shipping one way or another because it would have had to have been imported from the states to japan first, then when he bought it it was shipped back. there is no chrysler factory in japan, and therefore no "j-spec" 420A. either he is trying to brag and made an extremely huge fool of himself or he got extremely ripped off. sucks to be you either way you look at it dude.
22369, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
BTw, if this were ture, dont oyu think you should have already studied, learned and been totallly fmailiar with teh differences in the two motors if you were to pay for such a swap before making a comment like this:
>I just had my engine replaced with a J-Spec pullout. Does anyone know the difference between the J-Spec and the American 420a?

thats like any one of us swapping our motors for a 4g63, and then coming to the board afterwards and asking what is different about our engine now, just to make sure we actually got something we paid for.
22370, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by pearlwhite2gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My tranny came from Japan. That doesnt mean that it is J spec. Just came out of a car in japan and shipping was only 25 bucks. Doesnt make it better that it came from japan but they must have 420A's over there. Who knows.

22371, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by daved, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ouch! Please tell me you didn't pay extra money for this so called J-spec 420A, because if you did you just got ass raped without the vasoline. Sorry there aint no such thing as the J-spec 420A.
22372, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by Sabot, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had a bad day at work all day then I saw this post and now I feel alot better...haha

Ok I would like to see pics of it and specs cause you never know but a j-spec 420A....ya too much:)
22373, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
bwaaahah japanese eh? Sadly our cars are like 25% japanese haha amazing how the engine adds like 60 more percent to the japanese. Anyway hehe now that I think about it it is import, imported from mexico. Lots the parts say HECHO EN MEXICO or something like that hehe...

I would like to see picture of this cuz then it'd have to be turned around like the 4G63s in japan are.
22374, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by 97GS AT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
It just a joke. This is his first message. Look at the day of his membership.

Ken

5zigen rearsection/Cherrybomb glasspack resonator/Apex'i
cone intake/AFX UDP/Fidanza cam gears/Power Stop cross drill rotors(front)/shunk2 coilover/Koni adjustable (front)/KYB struts(rear)Konig V-racing front bar/Enkei RSF2 17" with Kumho/ Nakayama
projectors /APC Clear tail light and interior mods

22375, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by guest, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
"thats like any one of us swapping our motors for a 4g63, and then coming to the board afterwards and asking what is different about our engine now, just to make sure we actually got something we paid for."

10000% rite Lindsey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sneef sneef i smell bullsh...
22376, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by theallpowerfulme, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dude, before you post again go and change your username so you don't feel the embarassment, no need to lie man everyone here seems pretty cool and helpful, just don't lie about shit and find out what you need to know about how to modify your car, thats what this is all about.

If you aren't lying just post again and clear it up.

-Lane
22377, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
I didn't pay extra for anything nor did i think that i was getting anything extra. the guy at the engine shop said that he imported it from japan. i was just wandering if there was a difference, seeing as how i had never heard of any variations of the 420a. Thanks for the criticism.
22378, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by Breezio, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i might think about changing shops if I was you.. cause he's probably feeding ya BS.. but who knows...
22379, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ignore some of the rude comments.

But truth be told, there is no such thing as a jap spec 420A. The person and ordered and installed your motor was feeding you a line - Eclipses overseas all run 4g63's.
22380, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I hope you don't get the wrong impression of this board. Generally, people are very kind to new members and willing to help. On an average day, you can get all kinds of good answers to unsolvable 2GNT questions. Since it was your first post and you said you had an engine that doesn't seem to exist, people assumed it was a prank. That happens periodically; someone creates a new profile and posts about converting to mid-engine RWD. So, now that we know you're for real...welcome to 2GNT. We're here to help...

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire
22381, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by guest, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes, sorry if we cum across as being rude or immature. (Plus, you have to know some of us to understand our replies, hehe)
22382, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by wakebord99, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah.. shame on all you.. Making fun of a fellow j-spec 420a owner... how dare you.

I'ld think about changing shopps man.. Please tell me this wasn't a Mitsubishi shop... Please

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track) / HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat / 16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40) / 420A engine w/ tooled crank, billet crower rods, and 8.5:1 JE pistons / Head ported and polished, 3 angled valve job
Power-stop brakes w/axis pads / Ebachi Pro lowering kit (1.8") / MSD DIS-2 ignition system w/turbo retard

Near Future:
Stand-alone fuel system / 550cc injectors, and fuel rail / TEC III fuel/ecu system / 17” Hart racing wheels / KYB AGX struts, w/ upgraded anti sway bars / Rear brake conversion (front to rear, Brembo in front)

Jay-
wakbrd99@aol.com
22383, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by 97GS AT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
welocme to this board!

Ken

5zigen rearsection/Cherrybomb glasspack resonator/Apex'i
cone intake/AFX UDP/Fidanza cam gears/Power Stop cross drill rotors(front)/shunk2 coilover/Koni adjustable (front)/KYB struts(rear)Konig V-racing front bar/Enkei RSF2 17" with Kumho/ Nakayama
projectors /APC Clear tail light and interior mods

22384, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by Sabot, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yo! is all good you don't have to change your user ID is just a learning experience.
22385, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
I appreciate the responses to my last post. I was about to trade Zoe in for a Honda.....NAH! It was a highly recommended import engine shop. United States Motor Corp...Ft. Worth, TX Needless to say, they are not on my good side.
22386, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, welcome aboard. If you read back through a lot of the other posts you'll find we really are a good bunch of guys and gals(yes there's a few here). Enjoy your 420A and prepare to spend money on mods :D

Una salus victus.
It's not about being invincible, it's about being ready; for anything.

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Intake Manifold 1/2, P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines
22387, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by babybeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>Yes, sorry if we cum across as being rude or immature. (Plus, you >have to know some of us to understand our replies, hehe)

KaptainMike said Cum, (insert giggling like a teenage girl here)

Welcome to the board dude! Ya, we all have stupid questions sometime don't worry about it. Only way we will really make fun of you is if you screw a aluminum wing to your roof. (Trust me it's been done before!)

I've been on this board off and on for over a year! Trust me it's a good to have these guys here when you need them.
22388, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by Kirby, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yes welcome to the board your shop works on too many honduuhhhs so they think you will think your cool if you have a jspec motor. we have all had stupid mechanics make bs comments to us just trying to make conversation even when we know they are full-o-ish. they were just trying to impress you thinking you were stupid or they were just stupid themselvs. welcome to the board i'm glad you didn't get ripped off man and keep posting to keep learning i've been around here for years and you'll still hear a stupid question or two come from me (eeh corbin, dino)but it's how we all learn
22389, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by CaTiRo, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>Ignore some of the rude comments.
>
>But truth be told, there is no such thing as a jap spec
>420A. The person and ordered and installed your motor was
>feeding you a line - Eclipses overseas all run 4g63's.

"Eclipses overseas all run 4g63's"

Do the overseas non turbo run our mexican :-) 420a or the 4g64?
22390, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by JohannS07, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Actually,

I believe that overseas, the non-turbo eclipse runs the 4g63 non-turbo version found in the 1g's. I believe this to be true because there is a person on this board from europe and in his sig he has noted on there that it's a NT 4g63.....I might be wrong.

In regards to the original post, if they did get a jap-spec NT motor then it would have been more likely to be the NT 4g63, which in that case would be a total waste of resources since they would be swapping a 420a to a NT 4g63, might as well do the turbo one....

Either way, I suggest the original author of this post to take a pic of his motor so we can see what it is......
22391, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by ECLIPSE286, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i think thats me*g*
yes in europe and asia they only build and sell 4g63 turbo and non turbos !!!!! 99%sure !!! but i only can tell from mitsubishi, may be that they sell you an engine of a chrysler or other us-cars , i donīt know ... i have asked the general dealer of germany ,but could only tell me the same! they only buy the 420a to cooperate with chrysler to use the factory ...and they wonīt make two engines for usa cause japan and europe have stock 95-98octane

i hope my english will be understand
22392, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by euro_clipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey all, brand new to 2gnt, but I can help make the answer to this question go from 99% sure to 100% sure. The 420A is only in US-spec. cars. I'm US military living in Germany and have seen a German spec eclipse with a 4g63 non turbo engine. No 420a's over here. They claim it puts out 155hp stock.
Also, there is no turbo version in Germany. I guess only the n/t 4g63, and I have heard rumors of a 1.6l engine too. No auto trans either. Yeah!
22393, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by DSMRoadster, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey what base are you at? I was in Rahmein, Ramstein and Frankfurt. What's the deal with Rahmein, that base is dead, my squad went to the NCO club and we was the only ones there. That's the smallest active base I've been in. Eagle Base, Tuzla was bigger than that.
22394, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by run4cvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I spent 4 moths working at Ramstein, but lived outside of K-town. I was there in 97 and Rheinmein? was shutdown. But The housing was still open so we would crash there when we got too trashed in Frankfurt.
22395, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
I'm at Rhein Main. Right now we are far from shut down. We are doing more stuff than Ramstein now. It's bcuz we are the only base supporting Afghanistan. we move about 25,000 passengers a month. Come visit us now, there's no room in lodging, and the club went with extended hours. Not to mention we are getting 130+ reserve troops for a 1 year remote assignment. I never get days off!
One more thing, how the hell can you afford a turbo kit being in the military!!!!!!!?????????
22396, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
:) well i guess things change... when i was there it was totally dead. And i can afford the turbo kit because i got out :)
22397, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
That's a brilliant idea! 2 more years baby, then it's off to Dallas to build airplanes! Starting at 60G's a year.
22398, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Posted by DSMRoadster, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I can afford a kit becuase I was stationed in Bosnia for 7 months.....tax free, hazard duty+hostile fire pay, housing and allowance plus E5 pay. Got a dime up the ass for every hour I was there.
22399, RE: Japanese Spec 420a
Yeah i loved it when i was in germany for Joint Guard... $75 per diem. And everytime we flew into Bosnia, Combat zone tax exclusion plus Haz duty pay. I think i came home after 4 months with about $4k. Probably would of been more, but i got hooked on Perminators :)
I generated this page in 0.011831045150757 seconds, executing 7 queries.