Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectwhat about a 2.4 crank?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=1737
1737, what about a 2.4 crank?
Posted by tenzoeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I have been looking for engine mods, and I have heard things about puting a crank from a 2.4L mits. engine and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.
thanks,
chris
1738, RE: what about a 2.4 crank?
Posted by eclipsekaiser, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
not sure if it'll fit. talk to skrilla. He's our "stroked" man.....:P
1739, RE: what about a 2.4 crank?
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well if your referring to the 4G64 Spyder engine I'm not sure it'll fit but I doubt it, since it's a mitsu engine and our is a chrysler. I heard that with some mods you can probably put a stratus 2.4 crank in the 420A but I heard that it has weights on it and it's not made to rev up as fast as the 420A. But I'm not sure....

95 Mitsu Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | Performance Muffler | Cold Air Intake | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | FU, RU, RL, and RRE FL Tie/Strut Bars | RS to TSi Rear Disc Mod | RS to TSi upgraded F&R Sway Bar | 97' Spyder Eclipse 5 Spoke Wheels | and 1 HiGhLy SkIlLeD DrIvEr! |
1740, RE: what about a 2.4 crank?
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hmmm... this could be interesting... I'm now curious about the 2.4L 420A in cars like the PT Cruiser, and Stratus... Could make a cheaper alternative to having our crank rewelded for a stroker kit...

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather Filters, 55mm TB, GS-T Muffler, FU/RU/RL STBs, Front NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., Red Silicone Hose Kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Intake manifold 4 porting, Rear Motor Mount Ins. RRE FL Tie Bar(Well Almost), TSW Blade 17x7.5 (need tires)
1741, RE: what about a 2.4 crank?
Posted by RS_Guy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I believe (don't quote me on this one) that the crank is very similar to ours.....

I know that the SOHC 2.0L Neon Crank is very similar (if not identical) to the DOHC...

The problem is that, even between the same engine, the 420A engine in our cars, there was a design change between 96 & 97....

Guy
RS_Guy

http://www.GTuned.com
1742, RE: what about a 2.4 crank?
Posted by tenzoeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This is what a guy told me about this. : "the stroker motor is for the 2L turbo eclipse guys.. they can take the crank out of the 4g64(2.4L), and swap it into their motor, for a much longer stroke, and greater displacement.. taking their 2.0L up to approx. 2.3L and creating HUGE amounts of power at a reasonable price... etc."
Another guy that my friend talked to said something about putting a 2.4L engine from like a Mighty Max pickup. and putting a stroker kit on it and it would put out around 300HP. With very minor fitting problems.
1743, RE: what about a 2.4 crank?
Posted by klipzracer, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i do believe he's talking about taking it out of a spyder and putting it in a regual gs-t or gsx with a 4g63 motor.

Chris Dishmon
-----------Mods-----------
Interior:
-color painted interior
-fire extinguisher
-Topspeed short shifter
-aluminum shift knob and pedals
-Grant Evolution steering wheel
Exterior:
-Neo Blitz Front Bumper
-17" ICW 10 spoke wheels w/ 215/45 yokahama's
-APR GT1 adjustable aluminum wing
-Toyota Supra turn signal/foglights
-Aerogear fiberglass hood w/ Sparco hoodpins
Engine:
-Weapon R intake w/ ram air hook up
-NGK plugs
-Accel 8mm ignition wires
-Catco hi-flow cat convertor
-Apexi Dunk Muffler
Suspension:
-front and rear strut tower bars
-Tenzo R lowering springs
-front and rear camber adjustment
Stereo:
-Kenwood In-dash CD player
-Kenwood graphic EQ
-Orion Cobalt amp
-6 1/2" Infinity Kappa speakers
-6X9 Alpines speakers
http://klipzracer.homestead.com/index.html
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

1744, RE: what about a 2.4 crank?
Posted by Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i second that one klipz....i have heard of this but i do belive it was from a 2.4 spider to a gs-t.

Talon
97'Talon Esi
Injen short ram
stock 16" rims <---heck yeah !!!
AEM cam gears
1745, don't let ignorant mechanics fool you...
Posted by Skrilla, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
There is a 2.4L version of our car's engine in the stratus that is also designated the 420a BUT like the displacement specifies, it's 4/10's bigger than ours. To answer your question NO the 2.4L 420a crank Cannot fit in the 2L 420a block. It would have to be offset re-welded. There is no point in that when stroking our 420a either when our 2L crank can be offset re-welded as well. Typically you want to keep the stroke below about 87mm. The 2.4L is about 91mm with the exact same bore as us. With the longer stroke the block is about 1.01" taller than ours. You could get a safe 7500rpms out of that engine but I want S2000 revs. Our slightly shorter block can accomodate 2.3L of displacement but the 2.4L can be pushed up to 2.7L BUT your redline would be like 5500rpms tops. You would need taller gears to spread the new torque. A good medium is a 2.2L with a stroke of no more than 87mm. With that we could safely rev our engine to at least 8500rpms with a knifedged crank, the proper fuel management and head modifications. 2/10s more engine is a good 10 pounds of torque spread across the entire rpms or more, that isn't nnincluding the extra HP you'd get. If you're interested in that you'll have to drop some mail.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"
I generated this page in 0.0092489719390869 seconds, executing 7 queries.