Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectHELP!!!! New car wont start.
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=138246
138246, HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Posted by 01ss, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hello everyone, I have a 95 Eagle talon ESi that I just recently got and it doesn't run. I was told head gasket was blown. But it shows no signs of a blown head gasket. It sounds like its not getting spark. It's supposed to have a new fuel pump in it, but I don't know if it does or not. But it just doesn't sound like it wants to fire. I've sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body and it didn't even pop...

Any suggestions?

Also are the coils from a 95 eagle talon and a 97 eagle talon different.
138247, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Posted by Bluehaze420ars, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
All coils are the same on any 95-99 420a eclipse talon or avenger. And a leak down test will show if you have a bad head gasket. You need to check the oil and coolant for contamination. You need to check for power to the asd relay, coil, fuel pump and double check your ground wires. Check for power on the ecu. When you turn your key to on the check engine light should come on.
138248, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The coils are different. 95-early 96 have round pin connectors and the later have flat pin.
138249, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Yes I did find out the coils are different by going to the junk yard and picking a random coil off a random DSM with a 420a engine and it has a different plug on it than the one thats on my car. So it looks like I'm buying one off eBay. Kinda sucks at this guessing game but I don't know what else to do right now.

138250, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
It is not a guessing game. Do the legwork and diagnose it. Verify spark, fuel pressure, compression, and timing.
138251, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
It's got good compression, it's getting fuel, so the only thing I can think it's going to be is the coil.
138252, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
So.... All 4 cylinders have no spark? Only 2? Check the ASD relay on the firewall for operation?
138253, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
I'm not getting any spark at all on all 4 cylinders no spark.
138254, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Posted by Bluehaze420ars, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
All you have to do is cut the sensor on the harness and splice it together.
138255, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Someone Broke into the talon last night and tried to steal it. Breaking the ignition switch all up and the steering wheel lock. Now I have no idea where to begin. I guess, I'm going to repair the ignition switch. and go from there?
138258, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Well, I got ignition switch fixed today. I installed a new coil and it still wont start. I'm completely lost with this car. I'm starting to think it might have a blown head gasket, But it is not showing any signs of a blown head gasket, no antifreeze in the oil nothing like that. it does crank over slow. I'm just not so sure what to think. I believe I have fuel pressure, NOW I am not 100% sure about having fuel pressure but i believe it does I can hear the pump kick on. Any other suggestions.
138259, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Have you done what I mentioned earlier? Compression test (PSI)? ASD relay operation etc? The fuel pump can hum along just fine but not give out what is needed. Hook a pressure tester on the test port on the rail and check.

The ASD relay energizes when Key On condition is present and provides a high current +12v to the coil pack. Look in the wiring diagrams and tech info on the main page and look for your appropriate wire colors.

We have given plenty of suggestions. This is not guess work. If you are expecting to be spoon fed a solution, you might as well leave the forum.
138260, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
I'm not trying to be spoon fed. I'm looking for answers. It started to pop like it wanted to start last night but didn't. That's after I changed the coils. I did check the compression it was good on all four cylinders. I did not check the relay. I can hear the fuel pump hum. I will check both relays tomorrow! but thanks for the idea's!
138261, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Alright she's running. New plugs and she started right up... So maybe it was bad plugs this whole time.
138262, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Maybe? Maybe huh.

Did you ever check the gap on the plugs?

Also when you previously said you had no spark and suspected the coil, it is safe to assume you never actually tested the coil output but based the assumption on the sound of the engine while cranking over?

I hope in the future you perform tests correctly instead of the old "throw a part at it until it works" routine. Might save you a few dollars.
138266, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
138345, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Posted by scorpo86, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
try looking at he throttle body sensor wires. I had the same issue and i had to splice the withers with a new connector because the connector went bad. It took me a week to mess with it to find out it was that
138346, RE: HELP!!!! New car wont start.
Originally posted by scorpo86
try looking at he throttle body sensor wires. I had the same issue and i had to splice the withers with a new connector because the connector went bad. It took me a week to mess with it to find out it was that

Read the whole thread. He fixed the problem already. A long time ago.
I generated this page in 0.0085928440093994 seconds, executing 7 queries.