Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subject65mm throttle body?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=135014
135014, 65mm throttle body?
Posted by junkyarddsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So not really sure if any one has tried this or not but its an idea I had. I was looking on ebay for a throttle body for my project. I found a 2000 Dodge dakota 65mm stock throttle body that looks like it could be a good swap/ upgrade for turbo using the obx intake manifold. I bought it just to see if I can make it work. It is set up to use the IAC and TPS in the same location as the 420a stock tb. It looks like it could be a really interesting thing to play with ill keep an update once I get it and show pics side to side. Also if any one has any input on this please feel free to comment good or bad.
135015, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Unless you actually need it, a 65mm TB is going to net you absolutely nothing.

135016, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
D, imagine how sen. Low thsitive the throttle response would be heh. low throttle control would be piss poor.
135017, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Well in working out a supercharger kit and doing the mock up for the intake and found some interesting info on good sizes to use when making a custom setup to get everything tuned right. Also it will be an intercooled system s/c not right on top of the intake.
135018, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Originally posted by CODE4
D, imagine how sen. Low thsitive the throttle response would be heh. low throttle control would be piss poor.

What do you mean? I couldn't fully figure out what you are saying.
135019, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by junkyarddsm
What do you mean? I couldn't fully figure out what you are saying.

He's saying the low end throttle response with a 65mm TB would be such that the car will be difficult to drive.

http://nawdu.de/pics/venom/IMG00240.jp g

Ask me how I know.
135020, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Exactly. Consider the amount of air flow through the stock TB to achieve a zero vacuum condition, and compare the same displacement motor/manifold with a larger TB. Much less of a throttle opening is required to flow the same volume of air, making the off-idle response very sensitive. Couple that with an AL flywheel and you have a ridiculously easy revving motor.

Some applications benefit from this, but for street use it is more annoying than anything.
135021, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Ask me how I know.

how do you know?! sorry, had to :D
135025, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by Fotowntalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Not sure if you know but bullet is using a 65mm on his drag only NA car and did see a performance gain. I am sure especially if you are boosting and built for it, you could see a gain as well, although like others are saying, performance gains don't always equal fun daily driving.
135027, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Yes I saw that bullet was using a 65mm and that is what got me looking into it (really like the ITB setup that he has now not for me tho). I read on a page that to best optimize your intake and to smooth the flow of air on a forced induction setup that you would want to match your tb to the size of intake pipe that you are using. Along with ways to measure out the intake (how tall, wide, length) to help get the best results. Im hoping in doing all the right measurements I can get the low end tq and hp up. I have seen with the AMM intake that that is were you lose a lot.
135035, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I could see using the 65mm in a boosted car. But I'm not so sure on stock ECU. Are you going MS? Are you upping the comp? I presume that you would be making an intake to match. As stated previously, you would need to do some work for the low end/0 vac situation (I'm thinking a cam dial-in with timing adjustments).

My low end on the 65mm tune is pretty piss poor. I could make it somewhat better, but I don't race at idle so no reason to play with it :P
135034, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by junkyarddsm What do you mean? I couldn't fully figure out what you are saying.
He's saying the low end throttle response with a 65mm TB would be such that the car will be difficult to drive. http://nawdu.de/pics/venom/IMG00240.jp g Ask me how I know.

I am also would like to know what you know on the 65mm tb please post your information.
135039, RE: 65mm throttle body?
I am going to be running ms for my setup. I will have stock pistons for now (just did a full rebuild less then 20,00 miles ago). Ill also be running crane #14's and aem cam gears. Ill be pushing about 8 psi to start then go from their. The intake is going to have 11-12'' runners that will have less then a 45 degree bend right before the AMM style plenum (not fully the same but give an idea).

What I am really looking to get out of it is to have an over all power band with low tq. My max rpm range is going to be about 6800 - 7000. I do not want to out spin the supercharger.
135089, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by JusBringIt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I once had a much larger throttle body on my first car. A 96 sebring...

It was the first car I attempted to mod. That was one of the first mods I did. The throttle response scared me half to death. Good for burning rubber tho!
135102, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by 95gsx88, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
go to a junk yard. find a mid to late 90's jeep with the straight 6. i will bolt straight up. there are a few things you will have to do to get the throttle cable to work. but those are 60mm. when i had my gs i did that conversion
135103, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by JusBringIt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I put a jeep Tb on my 99 avenger, it. I believe they are tapered down to 55m. I went ahead and bored it out to 60. It was ok. I did take it back off a bit later. Because the car was AT, it messed up my shift points.

I didn't know it would bolt directly to the 420a tho. Its on my short list.
135104, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Originally posted by 95gsx88
go to a junk yard. find a mid to late 90's jeep with the straight 6. i will bolt straight up. there are a few things you will have to do to get the throttle cable to work. but those are 60mm. when i had my gs i did that conversion

The Jeep information is already covered in the wiki:

http://www.2gnt.com/?d=60mm_Jeep_Throttle_Body

http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Supplement_To_The_60mm_Jeep_TB_Article
135107, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Already have the jeep tb setup on my eclipse. I did the conversion myself almost a year ago. Im trying to see what kinda results will come from the 60 and the 65 if I get it to work. Just a note this is for a force induction setup not N/A just encase any one missed that in the read. It should be interesting to see what the results are.
135598, RE: 65mm throttle body?
To update this thread got around to messing with the dodge throttle body. I was able to get it to open the right way and the tps along with the iac. I ran into a problem with the tps not holding position. I had rigged it to hold but did not like the final product. So I have abandoned it for now and moved to the mustang throttle body.
135602, RE: 65mm throttle body?
Posted by venge24, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Any updates on the stang tb?
What size is it?
What years? Motors?
I generated this page in 0.010790824890137 seconds, executing 7 queries.