Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectWater Leak
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=130525
130525, Water Leak
Posted by 97GS-Tpal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So i had just recently replaced the heater hoses on my car, due to overheating issues...It ran good for about a day and a half, but today i took it the shop to get my E-brake replaced =] (it got used alittle too much) but as it was up on the lift i notice water leaking.

Its leaking ALOT on the right side of the engine (if your infront of the car looking at the engine) Its running down the oil pan and rushing out.

I searched "water leak" and "water pump" in the search bar and got some ideas of it maybe being the water pump but i just want to make sure. Im assuming its my water pump because it being on that side of the engine and the amount thats being lost. Is this a good guess or is there something else it might be? Thanks.
130526, RE: Water Leak
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 97GS-Tpal
So i had just recently replaced the heater hoses on my car, due to overheating issues...It ran good for about a day and a half, but today i took it the shop to get my E-brake replaced =] (it got used alittle too much) but as it was up on the lift i notice water leaking. Its leaking ALOT on the right side of the engine (if your infront of the car looking at the engine) Its running down the oil pan and rushing out. I searched "water leak" and "water pump" in the search bar and got some ideas of it maybe being the water pump but i just want to make sure. Im assuming its my water pump because it being on that side of the engine and the amount thats being lost. Is this a good guess or is there something else it might be? Thanks.

I'm not sure I follow you. You stated that the water is leaking on the right side of the engine (if standing in front of the car) which is actually the left side of the car. The water pump is on the timing side (standing in front will be on the left side) which is the car's actual right side. Do you see where I'm going with this?

If water is running down the oil pan then I guess you mean the actual right side of the car as if sitting inside. I would get a flashlight and while the car is running to trace the leak. I had a leaky gasket once and thought it was the water pump. Spent alot of time and money on something I didnt need.
130527, RE: Water Leak
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 97GS-TpalIm assuming its my water pump because it being on that side of the engine and the amount thats being lost. Is this a good guess or is there something else it might be? Thanks.

Actually, that's a bad guess if this is true:

Originally posted by 97GS-TpalIts leaking ALOT on the right side of the engine (if your infront of the car looking at the engine)

^^ That would be an indication that you did not clamp your heater hoses down properly or you have a torn/bloated hose off the water pipe. Your location is on the opposite side of the water pump.

Or maybe your location description can be a little clearer.......

130528, RE: Water Leak
So i had just recently replaced the heater hoses on my car, due to overheating issues...It ran good for about a day and a half, but today i took it the shop to get my E-brake replaced =] (it got used alittle too much) but as it was up on the lift i notice water leaking. Its leaking ALOT on the right side of the engine (if your infront of the car looking at the engine) Its running down the oil pan and rushing out. I searched "water leak" and "water pump" in the search bar and got some ideas of it maybe being the water pump but i just want to make sure. Im assuming its my water pump because it being on that side of the engine and the amount thats being lost. Is this a good guess or is there something else it might be? Thanks.

I apologize, i didnt notice that error. The leak is on the LEFT side (if standing in front)...All my hoses and clamps are tightened because i did have a torn hose on the right side of the engine.

So yes, quite a big leak on the LEFT side seeping down the oil pan....What gasket did you end up changing?
130529, RE: Water Leak
Posted by DirtMegirt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sounds to me like the o-ring where the lower water pipe meets up with the water pump. Make sure that it is in good shape and is seated properly. Also, make sure the bolt that hold the lower pipe in place is tight.
130533, RE: Water Leak
Originally posted by DirtMegirt
Sounds to me like the o-ring where the lower water pipe meets up with the water pump. Make sure that it is in good shape and is seated properly. Also, make sure the bolt that hold the lower pipe in place is tight.

thanks. Im taking into my local mechanic tomorrow for the e-brake. ill have them look at it more in depth. Thanks for the quick responses back
130536, RE: Water Leak
Posted by megaskillz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 97GS-Tpal So i had just recently replaced the heater hoses on my car, due to overheating issues...It ran good for about a day and a half, but today i took it the shop to get my E-brake replaced =] (it got used alittle too much) but as it was up on the lift i notice water leaking. Its leaking ALOT on the right side of the engine (if your infront of the car looking at the engine) Its running down the oil pan and rushing out. I searched "water leak" and "water pump" in the search bar and got some ideas of it maybe being the water pump but i just want to make sure. Im assuming its my water pump because it being on that side of the engine and the amount thats being lost. Is this a good guess or is there something else it might be? Thanks.
I apologize, i didnt notice that error. The leak is on the LEFT side (if standing in front)...All my hoses and clamps are tightened because i did have a torn hose on the right side of the engine. So yes, quite a big leak on the LEFT side seeping down the oil pan....What gasket did you end up changing?

My leak was from the gasket that goes around the thermostat. When I pulled it apart to only realize that my mechanic never put one on just gasket marker.

Good luck and I hope your mechanic pinpoints the problem.
130542, RE: Water Leak
So I just got the estimate from Tuffy. I need a new water pump i guess. They are charging 500+ in labor and only 110 in parts. CRAZY! ahaha. Is this a hard process to do? or do they just like to overprice labor. As well any suggestions on a DIY project for it. I got a buddy whos a pretty good backyard mechanic. Or any suggestions on how to approach this at all?
I generated this page in 0.0093479156494141 seconds, executing 7 queries.