Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectcan you get the intake manni off without a hoist or Jacking it up alot?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=130508
130508, can you get the intake manni off without a hoist or Jacking it up alot?
Posted by Hedge, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I was out driving for my job, when i heard some noises and realized all of my power steering fluid was now on the road. super.

I'm not sure where it is coming from, or where to even look but the puddle was behind the tranny. I first thought it was the main seal.

So i'm wondering if i can get the manifold off without a hoist or jacking it up a lot With basic tools. Any help on the power steering issue would be great too. Thanks.
130510, RE: can you get the intake manni off without a hoist or Jacking it up alot?
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yes
130511, RE: can you get the intake manni off without a hoist or Jacking it up alot?
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yes, it's just a lot more annoying. You pretty much have to twist your arm funny to get under the manifold. God help you if you have cruise control. The damn vacuum box gets in the way to the point of making you want to scream
130515, RE: can you get the intake manni off without a hoist or Jacking it up alot?
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yup. Really not that bad of a job. But like Ronin said, if you have CC, do yourself a favor and make removing the huge black vacuum box the first step. With the box in place it is nearly impossible.
130519, RE: can you get the intake manni off without a hoist or Jacking it up alot?
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Its not really as bad as you might think. I changed mine for the first time with the motor in the car. I dont have cruise control, so it was easier. The easiest way is to lay under the car, take the downpipe off, and use an extension and a 10mm to take the upper halfs bolts off first, and get the lower off the head from the top. It will be more difficult totally from the top, but it is possible.
130543, RE: can you get the intake manni off without a hoist or Jacking it up alot?
Posted by 97GS-Tpal, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Its not really as bad as you might think. I changed mine for the first time with the motor in the car. I dont have cruise control, so it was easier. The easiest way is to lay under the car, take the downpipe off, and use an extension and a 10mm to take the upper halfs bolts off first, and get the lower off the head from the top. It will be more difficult totally from the top, but it is possible.

Ok awsome. So just jack up the car, i wont need to remove any of the drivetrain or anything like that. When you say upper halfs bolts off are you referring to the upper head of the engine or of the downpipe?

As well how long roughly did this process take for you and if any what problems did you happen to run into.

Thanks for the quick replies btw =]

(Im asking these questions not only for my self but in case anyone else has this issue It would be nice if all their questions got answered as well as mine)
130546, RE: can you get the intake manni off without a hoist or Jacking it up alot?
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The manifold comes apart into two pieces. It's easier to get to the bolts that go to the head if you remove the upper plenum first. The bolts that hold the upper portion to the lower are much easier to get to from under the car with a long ass extension. After you've removed the upper plenum the bolts to the head are much easier to reach from above. Don't forget the damn braces that support the intake from the block, they get in the way every time.
I generated this page in 0.0081820487976074 seconds, executing 7 queries.