Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectReplaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=120281
120281, Replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Posted by MajinVejitaXV, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So, we've all been there. Pull plugs, realize your gasket for the spark plugs is blown, buy a kit etc.

I installed mine, put the silicon sealant where it was needed. My applicator broke, so I put pea-sized amounts on each part with my finger. Also, went I put the valve cover on, I had to shift it one centimeter to line up the bolt threads.

Question is, paranoid as I am, do you think I fucked anything up? Should I pull it all over and redo the silicon? Or does it matter that I didn't put perfect spots of silicon in the seams?

Thanks,
Corey
120282, RE: Replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You should be fine. The best way to know if you effed something up is to check it for leaks in a couple days. If it's leaking somewhere, then you can just redo it. Not that hard, right? In most cases, you could re-use the gasket at this point if you had to.

No worries.
120283, RE: Replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Posted by MajinVejitaXV, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yeah, just my OCD kicking in. Hell, even if the gasket was a loss, it's only $12 :P

Thanks for the quick reply, here's to my 5th year of 2GNT ownership ;)

-Corey
120284, RE: Replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DR1665
You should be fine. The best way to know if you effed something up is to check it for leaks in a couple days. If it's leaking somewhere, then you can just redo it. Not that hard, right? In most cases, you could re-use the gasket at this point if you had to. No worries.

Another cause for leaks is the rubber grommets, the bolts will bottom out against the head, but the grommets don't put enough pressure on the gasket to keep it sealed. Don't only blame the gasket for a leak.

Exile Racing Technologies
http://www.exileracing.com
Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way... turn.
120285, RE: Replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Michael_97RS
Another cause for leaks is the rubber grommets, the bolts will bottom out against the head, but the grommets don't put enough pressure on the gasket to keep it sealed. Don't only blame the gasket for a leak.

I consider those grommets part of the gasket kit. While not, specifically, a gasket, they are essential to the proper installation. I've never had an issue with them.

:shrug

120286, RE: Replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Posted by Michael_97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DR1665
I consider those grommets part of the gasket kit. While not, specifically, a gasket, they are essential to the proper installation. I've never had an issue with them. :shrug

The OEM gasket set they are, the Felpro set they are not.

Mine caused a leak a while back due to being old, and not replaced.

Exile Racing Technologies
http://www.exileracing.com
Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way... turn.
120287, RE: Replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Posted by surgeon_general, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
just thought back, and my valve cover grommets did bottom out, or its very close. haha. good tip.

i have more oil leaks and its not the headgasket valve cover gasket or my turbo oil feed line. i dunno! its invisible i swear.
120288, RE: Replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Posted by ThePerfectShift, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
checked your oilpan seal? mines leaking from it as well as my valve cover.
120289, RE: Replaced Valve Cover Gasket, Wanna Make Sure I Didn't #$@! Up:
Posted by dsmmyth, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Terry (Star Turbo Talon) gave me a piece of advice after mine leaked on me.

He suggested getting that 3M Weatherstrip (yellow snot looking stuff) and applying it to hold it in place. Been holding up ever since. :thumbsup
I generated this page in 0.010617017745972 seconds, executing 7 queries.