Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectBattery drain
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=118039
118039, Battery drain
Posted by ChloRure, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Im lost now... now 2 month with that problem and cant find it. I was thinking it was my battery not holding charge so I just bought a new optima red top... wow same problem.

In fact, I can charge the battery with a 6A charger for 12hours... it will start fine, will run fine... but if I shut off the car for around 10hours it will not start, or will if I crank it up long time... sure the ecu will reset so my fuel map reset and im running pig rich again grrrrrrrr.

Ive done the test light with the negative battery connected to it and the light is on... so ive pull all the fuse under the hood and under the steering wheel... light still on. Removed the alarm ... still on. Disconnect audio amplifier... still there.

Ive check all the cable direct on the battery, I have 2 big white wire comming from car harness, 1 of those are draining my battery. How the hell can I find what is it ? I cant run the car with the wire disconnected because it will not start at all without that wire.
118040, RE: Battery drain
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ChloRure
Im lost now... now 2 month with that problem and cant find it. I was thinking it was my battery not holding charge so I just bought a new optima red top... wow same problem. In fact, I can charge the battery with a 6A charger for 12hours... it will start fine, will run fine... but if I shut off the car for around 10hours it will not start, or will if I crank it up long time... sure the ecu will reset so my fuel map reset and im running pig rich again grrrrrrrr. Ive done the test light with the negative battery connected to it and the light is on... so ive pull all the fuse under the hood and under the steering wheel... light still on. Removed the alarm ... still on. Disconnect audio amplifier... still there. Ive check all the cable direct on the battery, I have 2 big white wire comming from car harness, 1 of those are draining my battery. How the hell can I find what is it ? I cant run the car with the wire disconnected because it will not start at all without that wire.

The two white wires from the positive terminal go to the fuse box. Start checking the relays in addition to the fuses.
118041, RE: Battery drain
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
/\/\/\ +1

check the power and grounds to and from the alternator as well. you might not be getting a proper charge from the alternator if they are too corroded inside.
118042, RE: Battery drain
How to check power and ground from the fuse box ? As for the alternator I know it will charge the battery because I can start the car if I drive it for 10minutes. Ave read that it can be the ecu that doesnt shut off ?
118043, RE: Battery drain
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by ChloRure
Im lost now... now 2 month with that problem and cant find it. I was thinking it was my battery not holding charge so I just bought a new optima red top... wow same problem. In fact, I can charge the battery with a 6A charger for 12hours... it will start fine, will run fine... but if I shut off the car for around 10hours it will not start, or will if I crank it up long time... sure the ecu will reset so my fuel map reset and im running pig rich again grrrrrrrr. Ive done the test light with the negative battery connected to it and the light is on... so ive pull all the fuse under the hood and under the steering wheel... light still on. Removed the alarm ... still on. Disconnect audio amplifier... still there. Ive check all the cable direct on the battery, I have 2 big white wire comming from car harness, 1 of those are draining my battery. How the hell can I find what is it ? I cant run the car with the wire disconnected because it will not start at all without that wire.

Wire to your Starter also, on my 97 theres two rings No not ones you wear lol. Ones from the negative ground ohter is an extra but needs to be used. If yours is the same check this out too.

Put second ring to the block First and the one from the Negative terminal put his on top next bolt it to to the block. a few turns will tighten. similar thing happend when I forgot to put that Extra ground ringfor the starter switch, everything will light up but wouldn't crank over due to the starter.

Hopefully this is your problem,
118044, RE: Battery drain
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Wire to your Starter also, on my 97 theres two rings No not ones you wear lol. Ones from the negative ground ohter is an extra but needs to be used. If yours is the same check this out too. Put second ring to the block First and the one from the Negative terminal put his on top next bolt it to to the block. a few turns will tighten. similar thing happend when I forgot to put that Extra ground ringfor the starter switch, everything will light up but wouldn't crank over due to the starter. Hopefully this is your problem,

In my case its only when i disconnect the white wire that I cant crank the car... no light on dash also so I think its a main wire. But if its connected I can start the car but battery is draining. Ive removed all fuses and relays.. damn ill kick it.
118045, RE: Battery drain
Posted by someeh, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Have you checked the cable that connects to the alternator?
118046, RE: Battery drain
Posted by azdave, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I once had a similar problem on another vehicle and it ended up being a bad alternator.

It was conducting power to ground through a fried diode network. I found it buy accident when I went to check on the car after an all night charge on the battery.

Before starting it up the alternator was found to be nearly red hot from all the power is was consuming all night long with the charger there to keep up the battery. The rest of the motor was stone cold of course. The alternator was pulling about 10 amps anytime it was connected. This was not enough to blow the fusible link in the system but plenty enough to kill the battery overnight.

Try to remove the #1 fusible link and see if the "drain" is gone. That fusible link is the lowest one in the fusebox left corner as you stand in front of the car, usually yellow, and it's BOLTED in place. You can't just wiggle it out since it's a 120A fuse.

It might actually be easier to lay under the car and disconnect the two big white wires at the alternator instead. While you are under there, see if the alternator housing is hot when it should be cold.
118047, RE: Battery drain
Ok, finaly got time to work on that problem.

Ive check if my alternator still charge... ok so ive disconnect it and still have a drain it the battery, removed old car alarm, little less drain... disconnect audio amp... gone!!! That fucking amp is sucking power when car is off. Now I dont have a drain on the volmeter but after 2 or 3 days the car will not start so I think ive killed the battery with all that shit.

118048, RE: Battery drain
most likely, most batteries are only 90-75% as efficient as they were before a drain, and the effect is cumulative.

if your amp was the big draw, what was the remote wire hooked to to turn it on? if it's just hooked to the radio power wire and not the antenna power/remote accessory wire like it should be it'll never actually turn off and drain the system pretty quick.
118049, RE: Battery drain
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
most likely, most batteries are only 90-75% as efficient as they were before a drain, and the effect is cumulative. if your amp was the big draw, what was the remote wire hooked to to turn it on? if it's just hooked to the radio power wire and not the antenna power/remote accessory wire like it should be it'll never actually turn off and drain the system pretty quick.

Remote wire was connected to the remote/antenna wire... worked fine 2 years ago, I think its in the amp. The battery is a red top optima new from last year... grrrrrrrrr
118050, RE: Battery drain
must be a short in the amp, not common but not impossible either.

red tops, are a little more resistant to the draining effects but definitely not impervious, still under warranty?
118051, RE: Battery drain
must be a short in the amp, not common but not impossible either. red tops, are a little more resistant to the draining effects but definitely not impervious, still under warranty?

Bought june 2006 but I dont have the invoice anymore...
118052, RE: Battery drain
Where'd you buy it? alot of parts dealers keep records by name/phone #. when I worked at checker auto parts anything like that with a warranty would be recorded in the system to sell it. if we knew what store it was bought at we could probably find the warranty info
118053, RE: Battery drain
Where'd you buy it? alot of parts dealers keep records by name/phone #. when I worked at checker auto parts anything like that with a warranty would be recorded in the system to sell it. if we knew what store it was bought at we could probably find the warranty info

I talked to the optima company, they said the battery is a 3 years free replacement so I still on this warranty but now direct with us. Just need to go into a battery center to check the charge and they will proceed the rma. Thanks :)
118054, RE: Battery drain
Glad i could help! good luck :thumbsup
I generated this page in 0.010187864303589 seconds, executing 7 queries.