Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subject2.4l swap
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=112867
112867, 2.4l swap
Posted by injendsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
has anyone done it since turby? im just curious if there have been any new developments in this swap that would make it possible to have it done without a lot of downtime.
112868, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sure, it can be sone with out a lot of downtime... if you are just looking to get a running 2.4L motor in the engine bay. it's fabing or finding brackets for the accessories that takes a long time.
112869, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by BumpinTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Sure, it can be sone with out a lot of downtime... if you are just looking to get a running 2.4L motor in the engine bay. it's fabing or finding brackets for the accessories that takes a long time.

power steering is for pussies and so is AC, so this shouldn't be a problem for most men ;)
112870, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by turbo8u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
its actually not a very hard swap at all but you definately need a proper workspace and a little fabrication skills.

a lot of the swap is fabrication, so if you don't weld or work with metal a lot its probably going to take longer because you're going to have to have peices made.

ive done it twice now, and honestly its not that hard. a lot of 2gnt parts are used actually.

also, you can use the stock 2gnt PS bracket with minor modification to clear the thermostat housing.

without PS, id hate my car

just as soon as i start my ICAR welding class, i'll likely finalize my swap kit and start selling it here. it'll be a hell of a lot easier using the school's welders and metal and not mine. id use it as a project, so id get graded for it too...which is good. i got ripped off for a motor mount though by someone here, and it really just put a sour taste in my mouth so i said fuck it and abandoned the idea of doing swap kits.

oh, and just food for thought....you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.
112871, RE: 2.4l swap
Originally posted by turbo8u
you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.

Right, if you use the stratus side motor bracket, which necessitates using a Hydro tensioner, which means you have to use a Stratus or Caravan oilpump... blah blah blah.

The only real problem with the 2.4L swap is that you need to know what you're doing. it'll probably never be a "buy a kit, swap the motor in" affair. You need an ultimate goal in mind from the very start, because a lot of your choice in parts will dictate what else you can and cannot use down the road.
112872, RE: 2.4l swap
Originally posted by turbo8u you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.
Right, if you use the stratus side motor bracket, which necessitates using a Hydro tensioner, which means you have to use a Stratus or Caravan oilpump... blah blah blah.

this isnt entirely correct.

i used the srt-4 tensioner. you dont need to use the stratus motor mount bracket, thats 2gnt as well...shaved to clear the timing belt and use longer bolts. the actual mounting of the motor mount to the chasis is where the fabrication comes in.

also as far as the oil pump is concerned, we need to use the stratus or NT oil pump because of the location of the oil filter its just a LOT easier. this doesnt have anything to do with the motor mount though

112873, RE: 2.4l swap
Originally posted by turbo8u you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.
this isnt entirely correct. i used the srt-4 tensioner. you dont need to use the stratus motor mount bracket, thats 2gnt as well...shaved to clear the timing belt and use longer bolts. the actual mounting of the motor mount to the chasis is where the fabrication comes in. also as far as the oil pump is concerned, we need to use the stratus or NT oil pump because of the location of the oil filter its just a LOT easier. this doesnt have anything to do with the motor mount though

:shrug You have your way, i have mine. I'd never use a Stratus oilpump, though - i hate that damn aluminum projection oil filter mount.
112874, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by CarbonFiberRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yay, some info about this I can use. Even though I am in the middle of rebuilding my 2.0 I still want to do the 2.4 swap... I just need to learn more about it. Keep the stuff comeing... Turbo, since you've done it twice can you do a right up of the method you used for the swap, not necisarilly going into great detail on the actual fab work as far as templates and all go but just general description of everything you need and stuff? and post it on the main site? and maybe dino can make his own too?
112875, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by micyek, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM

Why would you have to use a hydrotensioner when '96 and earlier came with a mechinical tensioner. Or would guys not suggest to use that tensioner?
112876, RE: 2.4l swap
Originally posted by micyek
Originally posted by DarkOne Right, if you use the stratus side motor bracket, which necessitates using a Hydro tensioner, which means you have to use a Stratus or Caravan oilpump... blah blah blah.
Why would you have to use a hydrotensioner when '96 and earlier came with a mechinical tensioner. Or would guys not suggest to use that tensioner?

From what i have read, the hydro tensioner is preferable to the early mechanical tensioner, because the hydro tensioner maintains more tension on the belt. i have no experience with the early mechanical tensioner, however.
112877, RE: 2.4l swap
yea there are a lot of ways to do the same thing

the swap is still in the beginning phases, i think within the next year or so we'll see a lot more people jumping on the bandwagon as more and more parts come out and more R&D is done.

i'll be pushing it anyway

the stratus oil pump works well though, i used stockums old ported pump and i guess he said he got a few more psi of oil pressure by porting it. i remote located the oil filter and cooler anyway though, so it doesnt matter now.

there's a lot of ways to do this swap, i know of 4 swappers who have all done it different. but hey, its custom as fuck...so thats a bonus too, no one has anything like it...

edit: oh, and i used the srt-4 tensioner and so far so good. ive actually gathered more knowledge about the 2.4 swap from neons.org than anywhere else...those guys rock
112878, RE: 2.4l swap
its actually not a very hard swap at all but you definately need a proper workspace and a little fabrication skills. a lot of the swap is fabrication, so if you don't weld or work with metal a lot its probably going to take longer because you're going to have to have peices made. ive done it twice now, and honestly its not that hard. a lot of 2gnt parts are used actually. also, you can use the stock 2gnt PS bracket with minor modification to clear the thermostat housing. without PS, id hate my car just as soon as i start my ICAR welding class, i'll likely finalize my swap kit and start selling it here. it'll be a hell of a lot easier using the school's welders and metal and not mine. id use it as a project, so id get graded for it too...which is good. i got ripped off for a motor mount though by someone here, and it really just put a sour taste in my mouth so i said fuck it and abandoned the idea of doing swap kits. oh, and just food for thought....you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.

thats exactly the kind of thing i wanted to hear. i would LOVE to do this swap on my car but i dont have the fabbing skills needed to pull it off. if you were able to start producing a kit to make this kit possible for those of us who are fabrictionally inclined, i would be more than happy to give you some money for it. i know that if i was able to get my hands on the pieces needed to swap it, im sure i can find someone around here to help me put it in.
112879, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by silvreclipsers, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by injendsm
Originally posted by turbo8u its actually not a very hard swap at all but you definately need a proper workspace and a little fabrication skills. a lot of the swap is fabrication, so if you don't weld or work with metal a lot its probably going to take longer because you're going to have to have peices made. ive done it twice now, and honestly its not that hard. a lot of 2gnt parts are used actually. also, you can use the stock 2gnt PS bracket with minor modification to clear the thermostat housing. without PS, id hate my car just as soon as i start my ICAR welding class, i'll likely finalize my swap kit and start selling it here. it'll be a hell of a lot easier using the school's welders and metal and not mine. id use it as a project, so id get graded for it too...which is good. i got ripped off for a motor mount though by someone here, and it really just put a sour taste in my mouth so i said fuck it and abandoned the idea of doing swap kits. oh, and just food for thought....you can use the stock 2gnt motor mount with minor modification.
thats exactly the kind of thing i wanted to hear. i would LOVE to do this swap on my car but i dont have the fabbing skills needed to pull it off. if you were able to start producing a kit to make this kit possible for those of us who are fabrictionally inclined, i would be more than happy to give you some money for it. i know that if i was able to get my hands on the pieces needed to swap it, im sure i can find someone around here to help me put it in.

I totally agree
112880, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by extreme97nt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
This is my current status

I am waiting on my turbo manifold, and intercooler setup. They should be here the second week in july. I used the srt-4? or turbo pt bracket.. I dont remember. If it was just a simple swap it would have been done already but I decided to make this a "track car" so I am waiting to get the best stuff. Another $1500-2000 and everything will be complete. I am also going to be running complete standalone wiht the megasquirt. It will be comming together in the next few months so I will keep everyone updated. This is a 2.5L aluminum rod motor.

best time so far 14.3 @ 101.1mph(no traction)
www.cnnmotorsports.com
112881, RE: 2.4l swap
That's a mighty nice picture.
112882, RE: 2.4l swap
Damn Chris...that's....awsome...LOL

*edit*

but I'm gonna have something different than everyone. It'll be sublte and only astetic...but I like it :7
112883, RE: 2.4l swap
2.5L club :9
112884, RE: 2.4l swap
thats crazy :bowdown
112885, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by WickedESi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
That's a mighty nice picture.

I will be doing a over-bored 2.4L when the time comes to rebuild. It would be cool to see some dyno numbers from one of these on high boost.
112886, RE: 2.4l swap
It'll happen someday, i'm sure.
112887, RE: 2.4l swap
Originally posted by extreme97nt
This is my current status

hmm I thought you can't use the 2.4 valve cover because of hood clearance and cam position??
112888, RE: 2.4l swap
Originally posted by silvreclipsers
Originally posted by extreme97nt This is my current status
hmm I thought you can't use the 2.4 valve cover because of hood clearance and cam position??

itd be cool if you could, for asthetic (sp?) reasons at least.
112889, RE: 2.4l swap
Only reason you couldn't is due to sealing issues .. some of the bolt holes are offset from the front exhaust 2.0L locations, and the spark plug tube holes are slightly offset as well.
112890, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by extreme97nt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Really? I noticed the sparkplug wells were off a bit, But I figured it would still seal. I might have to go to the 2.0 then. I will be running 25-30lbs of boos when she is done.. Wait until you see my manifold! You will shit your pants! Anyway it will be a little bit until she is done due to money issues. I dont want to put myself into to big of debt with her. I am hopeing for an 11 second pass. But we will see.

best time so far 14.3 @ 101.1mph(no traction)
www.cnnmotorsports.com
112891, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by Initial DSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You should just buy the slicks with the 15" wheels to get that part over with
112892, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by alain95i4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Only reason you couldn't is due to sealing issues .. some of the bolt holes are offset from the front exhaust 2.0L locations, and the spark plug tube holes are slightly offset as well.

when you put a 420a valve cover on the neon DOHC head you have the same problems but plenty of neon owners are doing this because of the DOHC 16 valve engraved on the 420a cover

to cure the problem a little bit of red silicon around the plugs gaskets and you fill the 2 bolt holes in the middle around the plugs holes with epoxy

Alain

112893, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by cougar694u, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by extreme97nt
This is my current status http://www.cnnmotorsports.com/members/Paul/Enginebay003.jp g I am waiting on my turbo manifold, and intercooler setup. They should be here the second week in july. I used the srt-4? or turbo pt bracket.. I dont remember. If it was just a simple swap it would have been done already but I decided to make this a "track car" so I am waiting to get the best stuff. Another $1500-2000 and everything will be complete. I am also going to be running complete standalone wiht the megasquirt. It will be comming together in the next few months so I will keep everyone updated. This is a 2.5L aluminum rod motor.

The more I look at that, the more I want to do it. My brother said we could make a template then take it to a shop to get built, but I don't have the time to mess with it.
112894, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by 2point4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if anyone's still interested in this thread, i'm doing the swap now and the block, head, and tranny are bolted in place. i'll be finishing the electrical portion soon. we'll see how it runs maybe by the weekend...
112895, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
pics, especially of the motor mounts and accessory brackets
112896, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
def. still interested.

Keith man, WTH get on this Dude.
112897, RE: 2.4l swap
I don't know why ppl are so concerned with the passenger side motor mount. I personally thought that was one of the easiest things to fabricate. With the PT crusier side engine bracket, it's a straight over and straight down "L" bracket...and I threw a gusset in for fun. Piece of cake IMO. When I made it I had the engine in place and the other 3 mounts torqued and made sure it was level. When I did that the solution was obvious to me. But I do machine design for a living so I might have bit more knowledge/vision than some on the subject.

I'll take some pics tonight.
112898, RE: 2.4l swap
Originally posted by micyek
I don't know why ppl are so concerned with the passenger side motor mount.

me neither, ive seen 4, they are all different...and they all worked

1 will be firing here in a few hours as the matter of fact

112899, RE: 2.4l swap
Originally posted by micyek I don't know why ppl are so concerned with the passenger side motor mount.
me neither, ive seen 4, they are all different...and they all worked 1 will be firing here in a few hours as the matter of fact

+1. Nothing to it from the ones I've seen.. it's not a load bearing mount, just adds stability and helps the roll stopper mounts.

Trust me, the side MM is the least of your worries. There are far more complicated things to be considered when using a 2.4 block.
112900, RE: 2.4l swap
well, some good news and some bad news fellas, we got my car started yesterday. it was being a little bitch at first but it finally started kicking over after we added some new gas. i did get the cam pos sensor/crank pos sensor intermittent code though. as i remember, magnet goes 90 degrees counterclockwise from stock position. my crower 2's have four alignment holes drilled into them so i just moved the tits on the magnet over one set to the left. i still don't know why we got that code but that was the least of my troubles by the end of the evening. so i take the car for a test drive to fill up the gas tank, runs great. i mob around the neighborhood for a bit, accel/decel and so on, runs great. i take it to the car wash to remove the 3 months of mud on the exterior, ran perfect the whole time. so i decide to hit the freeway to make sure it'll make it back and forth to work being that this is my daily driver. we drove around for about an hour with my buddy in his gst playing with the hon-duhs around here and on the way back to the house the "worst" happened. i come up behind this civic hatch, he's all riced out and shit and i'm feeling froggy, we line up at about 80 mph and i hear him downshift. i follow with a slamshift to fourth and away we go... i made it about 100 yards and i hear "bing-bing...bada-bing...badaping-ping-ping.... all power lost. thrown rod boys!! OWNED...OWNED...OWNED!! i think that my oil suction tube was too close to the bottom of the oil pan and therefore spun a rod bearing. so, lesson learned: make sure there is clearance between the pan and suction tube. but... other than that, it ran fine for about an hour and a half. i've got a ton of pics and a few 30 second videos of the whole deal. i'll post them as soon as i have them uploaded. status: back on jacks!! laaaates...chris
112901, RE: 2.4l swap
i dont know man...did you yank the pan and check out the pickup? after seeing the pin in the pan, that piston has got to be tore the fuck up...id bet the rod is still connected to the crank, and the bearing isnt spun...but who knows. lets tear it down and figure it out.

im fuckin sorry bro, but I of ALL people know EXACTLY how you feel. ill throw down wrench time again for sure, just GET ANOTHER BLOCK

OH YEA! and FUCK man...we're cursed....check this out

fuckin spun out this morning getting onto the freeway. asshole caltrans left maddddddd loose gravel on the apex of the entrance, slid for a good 20 feet and i couldnt get it back. smacked the curb with my left front but everything is ok....UGH! we're fuckin cursed bro...we're fuckin cursed. checked it out at school and everything is perfectly fine, just got TO CLOSE for comfort....

DSM...doesnt stay moving

...or when it does, its sliding around like a bitch

edit: get that one up of you drinkin the bud...that shit is classic
112902, RE: 2.4l swap
unfortunately bro, this is one of those times where i have to make the mature decision. i feel that it would be financially beneficial to drop a stock motor in there for a few months... i can drop the 2.4 and m/s (maybe a turbo if all goes well) into the 97 chassis over the winter months. driving the 2.4 was cool though, definitely alot louder at idle, and at about 3500 rpms it bumped up a bit also. turbo kit and 3in exhaust would be insane. but... i need a daily right now, ya know? i guess i'll have to start working on those mani's pretty soon. i'll be porting again soon. well, back to 2.0 sucks ass...
112903, RE: 2.4l swap
absolutely brutha

we can throw in a stocker in no time flat

you know im down for whateva

was good times though :) good feeling being in that beast, homely even...
112904, RE: 2.4l swap
dizzamn, you ain't lying about being cursed. this car has been on jacks longer than it's been on the road. that's not a joke either, it really has. dsm life though... i guess we kinda ask for it, ugh. i'll be sending one of those extra heads to the shop here soon. laaates...
112905, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by BlackBomexTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Damn Chris, I hate to hear after all this time the damn thing died like that. The cool thing is you now know this swap and have all the hardware. Start planning on the 97 man. I know if I went back through the Talon's swap I may have done a few things differently.

Also as a warning of the 2.4 swap to everyone...

If you have pulled an alternator before on our cars you know its not that damn complicated. I have found out it is possible for one to become real pissed after having to disconnect his halfshaft to replace an alternator.

2.4 Swapped

112906, RE: 2.4l swap
yep, this sitch is pretty ghhhhayyyy but fuck it, 2.4 blocks are cheap. start over later, ya know. i have some pics that i'm uploading also, hope they can help some of you fellas...chris
112907, RE: 2.4l swap
viddddddds nigga
112908, RE: 2.4l swap
i sent all i have so far for hosting. more will be on the way as soon as i get them. i'll get some pics of the hole in the block and better pics of the oil pan.
112909, RE: 2.4l swap
dino?
112910, RE: 2.4l swap
dino?

I never got anything from him...
112911, RE: 2.4l swap
Originally posted by turbo8u dino?
I never got anything from him...

doh, what a choad

ill call him

112912, RE: 2.4l swap
i sent everything i have. i'll get some more pics this weekend...chris
112913, RE: 2.4l swap
http://64.132.187.21/~DarkOne/chris/
112914, RE: 2.4l swap
good shit dino!! there's a couple more vids that i haven't got yet. i'll send them asap...chris
112915, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by alain95i4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
my 2.4 is now sitting in my Avenger engine bay fitted with the pt cruiser turbo ATX

http://www.clubneonquebec.com/album.php?time=night&view=mempics&member=674&pnumber=12

for pictures

Alain
112916, RE: 2.4l swap
i've sent the last 2 vids of the engine actually running for hosting. i'll get more pics this weekend, got kinda busy on something else last weekend. but, we should be able to pull it out on saturday...chris
112917, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by scirio, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
baddass chris! looks like you'll be 2.0 bitch for a while haha. 2.4 owned ya but I know you'll get it all worked out. Still porting?
112918, RE: 2.4l swap
actually yes i am, i've been working on a head and an intake for josh's ride. should be done with those here in a couple weeks or so. i'll let ya know...chris
112919, RE: 2.4l swap
so we're finally tearing it down tomorrow? sweet :D

chasis has got me bored as fuck man, lets turn some wrenches already damnit

...:cheers

probably cruise by in a bit

laaaaaaaaaaate
112920, RE: 2.4l swap
yep time to get dirty again, finally! i was looking at the oil pan last night, it got split apart during the carnage. i'm gonna have to fix that...woops
112921, RE: 2.4l swap
doh :\ you know, as soon as it blew the first thought in my mind was pan

when i toasted my old motor, my pan took it like a bitch. shrapnel like crazy....so ive definatelty been in your shoes before...cant wait really to see what lies in there :bash

check it

rollin over in a few with the nuggggs
112922, RE: 2.4l swap
http://64.132.187.21/~DarkOne/chris/

any luck in getting these pics downsized so we can see them?? may help a few BANME!s later down the road.
112923, RE: 2.4l swap
I haven't even looked at 'em. PM me whatcha want me to do.
112924, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by 96rs-t, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 2point4
Originally posted by DarkOne http://64.132.187.21/~DarkOne/chris/
any luck in getting these pics downsized so we can see them?? may help a few BANME!s later down the road.

hmm, they should resize automatically to fit screen, at least that's what my browser does.
112925, RE: 2.4l swap
i guess i'm working with the super hot 1988 model computer setup, right? but seriously, the pics are so big i can see the blackheads on turby's face. i didn't know i was the only one having this problem though.... ??
112926, RE: 2.4l swap
Posted by GSGoinFast, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 2point4
i guess i'm working with the super hot 1988 model computer setup, right? but seriously, the pics are so big i can see the blackheads on turby's face. i didn't know i was the only one having this problem though.... ??

The pics don't resize for me if I am using AOL but if I use Internet explorer they resize fine.

Turb did you ever make those kits or make a write up of what you did?
I generated this page in 0.012471914291382 seconds, executing 7 queries.