Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: Some progress with the 2.2L...7-18-09
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=126428&mesg_id=126718
126718, RE: Some progress with the 2.2L...7-18-09
Posted by eclipse982nrRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Got some more work done with the project this last weekend, so I thought I would share some pics.

I did not care for the orange valve cover I had on the motor. So I stripped it down, welded in two -10 bungs for a breather can setup that is in the works, cut off and welded the stock breather pipe hole shut and flush, and cut off the stock straight piece for the PCV valve, tapped it with a 1/4 NPT thread and picked up a aluminum allen head cap from Summit and Capped it off. Also got some new spark plugs and got those put it with the coil and wires.

Also going to begin fabricating a new downpipe setup. Cut off my old flange from the downpipe. I picked up the flange itself from ATP last year, it is a nice 2.5 to 3 inch transition flange to use with a 3 inch downpipe. In my case, I wanted to use a 3" vband with my new downpipe, and did not want to spend more money on purchasing a new turbine housing or welding the vband flange to the housing itself. So I took the flange which actually was about 3-1/4" and welded it to the 5 bolt flange, came out pretty good. I also cut off the original housing for the upper radiator hose on my Fluidyne radiator and made a piece to cap it off. I welded that in and then picked a -16AN weld in bung and welded the bung into the middle of the radiator. This was only done to give me a little but more clearance room for my 3 inch downpipe which you will see in couple of days.

Lastly, I did not feel like buying the 160* thermostat from Howell and waiting and paying shipping fees for it. Since I live literally 2 miles from Summit Racing, I went and got a 54mm 160* tstat for a big block Chevy. Our tstat measures in at 46mm. I bought the tstat $9 including tax. I simply trimmed it down to 46mm with a die grinder and burr bit. Fits good now :)

Stay tuned in every weekend for more progress and pics :)

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that I got all the front suspension put back together and axles finally put back in. I will be bringing in the front wheels/tires tomorrow to our dealership to install nitrogen in the tires, and rebalance the wheels.
I generated this page in 0.010939836502075 seconds, executing 6 queries.