Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectRE: excellent post, now continuing with the discussion...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=10494&mesg_id=10504
10504, RE: excellent post, now continuing with the discussion...
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
<That is not what Boyles Law states. With the higher compression you are starting an explosion in a smaller space. So the intial hit is harder since it is not spread out over a a larger area. The flame travel propogates better.

Ugh, I forgot about Boyle's law. (and I'm one of the last people who should have forgotten it!) That alone makes sense that you would get more power. Expansion from that smaller space would make the combustion process more efficient, just as you stated.

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of the "total cylinder pressure" theory, and I guess with higher compression and better control of the fuel/ignition/all the other variables, you can push the envelope more.

<It is safer, but it is not faster. If your racing high compression will win, on the street we can probably find a compromise. 10.5 with 8 psi, or 12.5 with 5 psi. The higher compression will yield better fuel economy as well.

I was considering if someone is running lower compression and more boost they could be safer AND run the same power. It looks like you answered the question: it is safer, but you don't get as much power as a well tuned higer compression system.

<It comes down when you playing the game who get to the other end first, and that is the only rule, then you have to bring your biggest gun out first. Playing it safe is not an opition.

I know, I know, as Stirling Moss once said "First is first, second ain't shit." Which I agree with.

But they don't give trophies for the biggest engine explosion :) so make sure you keep your cars tuned well! :P
I generated this page in 0.011246919631958 seconds, executing 6 queries.