Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjecthairline crack in bellhousing, jb weld fix?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=8795
8795, hairline crack in bellhousing, jb weld fix?
Posted by gnathen, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So I was installing my stereo stuff in the Talon and noticed a huge puddle of atf on the garage floor. Jacked up drivers side and found a hairline crack a few inches long below the tranny drain plug. Can it be effectively sealed with jb weld until I can locate and install a new tranny ? BTW I need a 5 speed non turbo 420a tranny if anyone has one. I live in New Bern, NC
8796, RE: hairline crack in bellhousing, jb weld fix?
Posted by CODE4, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The bellhousing does not hold fluid. You have other issues if you have ATF coming from the actual bellhousing.

If you want to try and seal it with JB weld, go for it. It might work if you can ensure the surfaces are completely clean.
8797, RE: hairline crack in bellhousing, jb weld fix?
Originally posted by CODE4
The bellhousing does not hold fluid. You have other issues if you have ATF coming from the actual bellhousing. If you want to try and seal it with JB weld, go for it. It might work if you can ensure the surfaces are completely clean.

I think I may have mispoke the crack is just under the drain plug extending towards the back on the outside housing of the transmission . Thanks for the info I will try and seal it this evening. If u know anyone with a spare tranny I could sure use one

8798, RE: hairline crack in bellhousing, jb weld fix?
Posted by Ebster1085, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
On my buddies old Evo, he had a small hairline crack on his tranny that would weep oil. We drained the tranny, cleaned the area thorougly, and put a healthy dose of silicone all over the cracked area. Worked pretty well, but certainly not an ideal longterm fix.

If you had a large puddle of fluid, it sounds like more than a hairline crack to me. Seems like you got nothing to lose. Try out the JB weld and see what happens.
8799, RE: hairline crack in bellhousing, jb weld fix?
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
JB weld or a similar type of metal bonding epoxy should be fine
8800, RE: hairline crack in bellhousing, jb weld fix?
Thanks for the quick responses guys I appreciate it
8802, RE: hairline crack in bellhousing, jb weld fix?
Update: cleaned, wire brushed and lightly sanded area and cleaned again. Applied JB weld to cracked areas and waited two hours. Added 2 new quarts of castrol ATF + 4. Ran car, cycled through gears and drove around the block, pulled back in the garage and checked for leaks. no leaks, gonna drive it to work tomorrow
8803, RE: hairline crack in bellhousing, jb weld fix?
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by gnathen
Update: cleaned, wire brushed and lightly sanded area and cleaned again. Applied JB weld to cracked areas and waited two hours. Added 2 new quarts of castrol ATF + 4. Ran car, cycled through gears and drove around the block, pulled back in the garage and checked for leaks. no leaks, gonna drive it to work tomorrow

keep an eye on it everyday for a week. if no leaks, spread your inspection intervals to once a week for a month or so. if still no leaks, well, you get the idea
I generated this page in 0.012799978256226 seconds, executing 7 queries.