Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subject2 quick questions about this diff
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=8260
8260, 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by rshissler, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
First question: Do these safty braces need cut down so they dont break the speed gear off?

2nd: How do you replace this bearing? It feels really lose compared to the bearing thats on my old diff. The outer cage moves up and down alot.
8261, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The "safety brace" is a good thing. It helps keep the diff pin in place when people want to do one wheel burnouts. It does not need to be cut down.

The bearing is press fit. You will need to press it off and press it back on.
8262, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i guess i'm anal....

8263, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
i guess i'm anal.... http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo269/eclipse8129/July-17_1325. jpg

post pics when your diff pin makes an awesome hole in the gearbox!
8267, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC i guess i'm anal.... http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo269/eclipse8129/July-17_1325. jpg
post pics when your diff pin makes an awesome hole in the gearbox!

yea, cuz w/out these bracket's, they do that...??? :wary i'm not doin one wheelers ronin...
8266, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
from readin on here and searchin around ppl say that the "ears" need to be cut down alittle becuase they are to tall and chip the speed sensor gear and break it off while spinning. I know what the safty braces are for thats why i bought them to install with the PG LSD. I just dont wanna install the diff and then have to remove it again becuase its break gears
8268, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Originally posted by rshissler
from readin on here and searchin around ppl say that the "ears" need to be cut down alittle becuase they are to tall and chip the speed sensor gear and break it off while spinning.

Hmm. News to me. I've installed 4 or 5 sets of these with no issues, but cutting off the tops will harm nothing. Better safe than sorry (if some are saying that they had that issue). Possibly an older style diff pin saver than what they have out?

8269, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by rshissler from readin on here and searchin around ppl say that the "ears" need to be cut down alittle becuase they are to tall and chip the speed sensor gear and break it off while spinning.
Hmm. News to me. I've installed 4 or 5 sets of these with no issues, but cutting off the tops will harm nothing. Better safe than sorry (if some are saying that they had that issue). Possibly an older style diff pin saver than what they have out?

That was the old design. Any current ones in the last couple of years or so do not need to be trimmed.

I had this discussion with Mikey when he bought his.
8272, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Originally posted by teklein
Originally posted by rshissler from readin on here and searchin around ppl say that the "ears" need to be cut down alittle becuase they are to tall and chip the speed sensor gear and break it off while spinning.
That was the old design. Any current ones in the last couple of years or so do not need to be trimmed. I had this discussion with Mikey when he bought his.

Aha, good to hear. I thought I was going a little loopy (well, more than normal).

MB

8273, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
mine didn't have to be, but because i'm an anal butt monkey, i trimmed it even w/ the diff plateau. it made me feel better.

read this http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=86055&hilit=diff+pin+brackets good info there.

taken from there, "Update 7-24-05: This is the part number for the newer "diff saver plates" that are shorter than the above noted brackets. These brackets can be bolted in as-is, they do not need to be cut down."

JUST LEAVE ME ALONEEEEEEEEE I'M ANAL... :shrug ...
8274, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
well that link says that i should cut them down but i dunno. Guess i'll just install it and see if i need to trim it or not.
8275, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
No no. Don't just install and go. You are better off cutting that down to be on the safe side.

At least do this; put the diff in (without installing the bell housing) and see if it hits when you slowly spin. Keep in mind that if it comes real close, then it will prossibly hit. There is some slight flex in all those parts when you put pressure on the set-up.

And that is sharp metal vs little baby plastic piece.

MB
8276, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
lol. that link says to trim them if you have diff brackets made BEFORE 2005. look at the bottom of the link and what I quoted from it.

Like i said, i trimmed mine even w/ the diff plateau, took 3 mins w/ a cut off wheel w/ a dremel.
8283, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
k next question anyone know the part number for that bearing????
8284, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Originally posted by rshissler
k next question anyone know the part number for that bearing????

Um, what bearing?

8285, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
umm 2nd question i had was how to replace the bearing and you guys said to pull it off and press a new one on. I cant find the part number for it on CAPs
8286, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
start here, it may show or help you: http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/neonfsm/2000/EPL_21.pdf
8287, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ronin your a tool sometimes. The old process was to trim them. I still do regardless. Less rotational mass where the extra metal isnt needed......Thats anal!

As for the diff bearing, unless you have a press, take it to a shop and let them press it off and press a new one on.
8288, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Ronin you're a tool sometimes.

Fixed for ya
At least my grammar is correct. :P
8290, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
no luck on the part number as of yet.
8291, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Here's a Mopar number right off the box on my shelf; 04567025AB

8297, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
http://www.2gnt.com/?d=LSD_and_Diff_related_parts
8300, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by Purpose, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Here's a Mopar number right off the box on my shelf; 04567025AB

Above part number for atx differential

05134957AA for mtx differential. Mtx differential is shorter, which is why the atx tab sits taller.
8301, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Originally posted by Purpose
Originally posted by bullettdsm Here's a Mopar number right off the box on my shelf; 04567025AB
Above part number for atx differential 05134957AA for mtx differential. Mtx differential is shorter, which is why the atx tab sits taller.

Hmm, funny strange. Got these from my dealer buddy who has bought these for me before. Maybe he got confused or sent the wrong ones. I'll check that out.

MB

8302, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Originally posted by bullettdsm Here's a Mopar number right off the box on my shelf; 04567025AB
Above part number for atx differential 05134957AA for mtx differential. Mtx differential is shorter, which is why the atx tab sits taller.
Hmm, funny strange. Got these from my dealer buddy who has bought these for me before. Maybe he got confused or sent the wrong ones. I'll check that out. MB

Well, both of my dealer contacts got back to me and they both tell me that the number is for an MTX (one of them is a well known, long time member of neons.org). Seeing as how I used the bearings before, and I know both of the sources I used are believable, I'll go with them being correct.

8303, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
There is certainly no problem with using the longer tabs. As some have posted, there is no interference to be caused by using the taller tabs. Here are the tabs I installed yesterday.

Here is a shot of an atx diff

The atx diff pin sits taller, and that is how the bracket was designed. Again, it can be used for either application. Just thought I'd add the info for those concerned about rotational mass and such.

Here is a thread about it from neons.org.

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=86055

Oh. When installing the tabs, the pin holding the diff pin should be removed. Gives the diff pin a bit of wiggle room. This will extend the life of the diff pin, for those addicted to open diff burnouts. under heavy load, the axle comes in contact with the diff pin. Wit the the tabs in place, and retaining pin removed, the axle will contact the diff pin in different spot.

8381, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by halfasss101, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the pin holding the diff pin should be removed?!?!?!?!? That scares me. :eek i dont want any shit wiggling around in my tranny
8304, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff

Well, now I'll ask, what the hell are you talking about? The part number I posted (which you referenced) is for the diff bearing. You went into a disertation on the diff tab savers.

Um, whatever.......

8305, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
My bad. Got off track. AS stated, that is the correct part #
8316, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
DO NOT REMOVE THE PIN THAT SECURES THE DIFF PIN. That is some of the worst advice I have seen posted. If your worried about that little pin coming out then weld it in.
8405, RE: 2 quick questions about this diff
for anyone else that might be looking for the diff bearings, RockAuto.com sells both the 5spd and autos. just got a set for 15 shipped.
I generated this page in 0.010705947875977 seconds, executing 7 queries.