Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectTransmission clanking?? :(
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=6408
6408, Transmission clanking?? :(
Posted by upincomin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ok, so to make a long story short, on my way to work the other day, I was in 3rd gear, not shifting INTO or OUT OF gear.. just driving, it felt as if something locked up and broke free, felt like downshifting effect w/o noise. From there, there has been a constant clank clank clank noise, is associated with wheel speed, whether IN or OUT of gear it is her. However, more profound when in gear.

We took the car to a hill, in neutral, started to roll, car was OFF. we heard the noise at first, then went quiet as car picked up speed.
NOT the case when on and IN gear.. When im driving now, if its in gear, it makes a clanking noise, clutch in, still makes noise, gear in neutral, near silent.

Possible bad CV Joint?? I just replaced the 2 shafts yesterday (Drivers and Pass.) but ran out of time ti fill transmission fluid. Driving down today (in another car) to Mitsu Dealer near Honalulu, to get the MTX fluid SPEC. for this car. Havent tried driving it since I replaced the shafts. I'm posting because I'm trying to get a head start on it, INCASE it's not fixed, so I can come home and start investigating other options.

If the car is off, in neutral, the only moving parts when rolling are axles and Differential correct? I mean, is there anything else here im forgetting??

**Note, I did lift the car, and had someone SLOWLY put it in gear and get the wheels turning so I could pinpoint noise, seems to becoming from one axle boot to the other includding the DIFF. The noise was too big and loud to pinpoint to one small spot, but it is in any of these 3 parts..

I thank anyone who takes the time to read this and figure it out.
It's a 95 eclipse 5-speed, no swap, all stock. Any other questions to figure out the problem ask, and I'll explain to the best of my knowledge.
6410, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
possibly your cv's, tough call
6413, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(/ BIG UPGRADES?!?
Nope, NOT the CV's, man, this is scary.. clanking is AMAZINGLY loud, and it sounds like a card in a bicycle rim when its in neutral now, that buzzing sound. and in gear its SO loud.. someone said synchros??
reguardless.. I decided if this didnt work, I'm taking it off the road for awhile and im going to build it up some, QUAIFE LSD, stage 2 shafts, stg 2 clutch, and from there I dont know.. I have to figure out this problem first and formost, and I'm thinking I might just pull another tranny and replace it. Am I wrong to think this? I'm VERY heated at this point, I just wanna go all out and build it up, im thinking that this could cost me 1000 FOR QUAIFE, 600 FOR SHAFTS, AND 200-?? FOR A NEW TRANNY. Is this LSD hard to do myself or should I go to a pro for the install on it?
6414, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(/ BIG UPGRADES?!?
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
how afraid are you of opening up your tranny and having it all fall apart to where you can't put it back together? for a first time I'd find someone who has done it before and either get them to help you or just watch and pay really close attention. it's not really that hard but if things get screwed up you can get yourself in a seroius bind. I would still probably either get a good condition used trans and get a little help with the installs or just have a pro do a rebuild and the installs at the same time.
6416, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by upincomin
**Note, I did lift the car, and had someone SLOWLY put it in gear and get the wheels turning so I could pinpoint noise, seems to becoming from one axle boot to the other includding the DIFF. The noise was too big and loud to pinpoint to one small spot, but it is in any of these 3 parts..

First of all, if you're all stock, you really have no need of a $1000 LSD. An LSD would be super nice to have, but the number of people I know actually sporting a Quaiffe in the 2GNT isn't even 20 on this board, az2gnt, and Tuners. If you're going to get one, I'd suggest reading up on Neons.org about how the guys over there got the Phantom Grip to work for them. I have a buddy who runs one in his rally Neon and he swears by it, so they're not all that bad.

You also don't have need of upgraded axles. Only when you boost the car and make enough power to snap a stocker should you invest that kind of money. In the meantime, if you've still got your old shafts with the torn boots, throw some rubber gloves on, grab your snap ring pliers and a bucket you can fill with simple green or other degreaser, and disassemble your CV joints, clean them up, regrease them, and put a new boot on them so you have a spare set. Most boot kits come with not only the boot, but the clamp and fresh grease as well. If you pull the axle and clean it up before replacing the boot on the car, you will have better luck. It's more messy than hard.

I know how it's easy to start thinking about bullet-proofing your shit so you don't have to go through all this again, but there's really not that kind of need when you're otherwise stock. Something is fucking with you and we need to figure that out. The next thing I would try is pulling the lower access panel on the trans and peeking in there when it's running to see if it makes location of the noise any easier.

You're certain there's nothing contacting either of the axles between the hubs and trans, right? You've since filled the trans up with the new fluid? Was there any "glitter" in the old fluid when you drained it? Is this ONLY in one gear? The only two times I've ever had clanking noises from the transmission were...

1. Flexplate bolts failed, separating the flexplate from the clutch and causing it to go circular saw on my transmission, resulting in a massive hole that drained the fluid out the bottom. Removing the access panel next to the oil pan will allow you to ensure you still have all four of those bolts in place and secure.

2. Output shaft bearing scattered on me. It's a roller bearing a couple inches across. Hardened steel rollers in a plastic race. When it fails, you get these little quarter-inch-long steel cylinders flying all over the inside of your trans and it's not good. Here's a couple pictures. (They also illustrate what you'll find when you get into the trans.)

***HUGE PICTURES***
http://az2gnt.net/DR1665/Daisy/NV-T350/outBearing1.JP G
http://az2gnt.net/DR1665/Daisy/NV-T350/outBearing2.JP G
http://az2gnt.net/DR1665/Daisy/NV-T350/outBearing3.JP G

As far as I know, Terry and Dino are the resident experts when it comes to these transmissions. They tend to get in here more often than I do, so hopefully one of them will pass through soon and can offer you some more detailed advice.
6417, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(
"You're certain there's nothing contacting either of the axles between the hubs and trans, right? You've since filled the trans up with the new fluid? Was there any "glitter" in the old fluid when you drained it? Is this ONLY in one gear? The only two times I've ever had clanking noises from the transmission were..."

1. Glitter, yeah lots of small metal shavings, assumed it was not good, but that the fluid has probably been changed all of ONE time, so I assumed it was normal wear and tear.

2. I don't believe there is anything else contacting, although it sounds like something "wrapped up" just rotating and knocking everytime it hits something solid. But that's just what it "sounds like". It's a shitty noise, I went to a salvage yard today to look up the part for the tranny and found all the other cars it's used on, so I'm going to search around and see if I can find the one I need.

3. Yes I drained and filled the tranny with new fluid straight from the dealer.. that $17.89 a qt. Shit..

4. It Clanks like this in EVERY gear.. all the way up to fifth..includding reverse, but you have to get MOVIN' to really notice it. You have to be rollin pretty good.

I dunno, this car looks/runs AMAZING for 5,000 I REALLY would like to drive 'er, and I wouldn't mind the ease of mind of revving it up, and dumping the clutch without worrying that im going to bust something. I don't do it a lot, but we all buy these cars to have fun with them, and everynow and then I get race happy. I live in hawaii where the speed limit is only 55 at it's highest, so every now and then, I take a back road and rip it up.

I appreciate you all for your time, it's greatly appreciated. I might save myself about $1600 by not buying those parts if they are not needed. I'll fix problem one before I start "building it"
6418, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(
Dunno if that will work when you check it or not, but it's a rebuilt transmission store on ebay, good? bad? ugly?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubishi-Eclipse-NVT350-Manual-Transmission_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33727QQihZ006QQitemZ160120767285QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW..
6419, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by upincomin
1. Glitter, yeah lots of small metal shavings, assumed it was not good, but that the fluid has probably been changed all of ONE time, so I assumed it was normal wear and tear.

Oops. Not good. There's probably a bunch more attached to your magnetic pick up in the tranny. With all that is said and done, I'm believing it's in your diff or your possibly your tranny (just hard to hear from ct).

As for the E-bay store, it passes my E-bay test. 99.7 and a good feedback score. The comments are all about selling tranny's (not buying parts).

I'm guessing that junkers are hard to come by there.

6422, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(
Awesome.. that's probably the cheapest site I've found so far. Yeah, there are a few salvage yards, but they don't have the on I need. I checked them out and the only eclipse I can find had EVERYTHING stripped from it. No point in me even looking at it. There was seriously nothing I could get from it and the tranny was NASTY. I looked through to see if they had a Avenger, Sebring, or Talon with this tranny, and they didn't have any of the above. So I suppose this is what I'm looking at.
6480, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(
Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by upincomin 1. Glitter, yeah lots of small metal shavings, assumed it was not good, but that the fluid has probably been changed all of ONE time, so I assumed it was normal wear and tear.
Oops. Not good. There's probably a bunch more attached to your magnetic pick up in the tranny. With all that is said and done, I'm believing it's in your diff or your possibly your tranny (just hard to hear from ct). As for the E-bay store, it passes my E-bay test. 99.7 and a good feedback score. The comments are all about selling tranny's (not buying parts). I'm guessing that junkers are hard to come by there.

Yup, it's in the diff. I self-turned each trans with cv boots, and the new one sounded as if backing up?? Like thats noise it made.. good I suppose.. and the other one clanked everytime a certain part came direct on with the trans. Now I just need the time off from work to get 'er all back together.. I'm hoping on Saturday and Sunday I should have a few hours, if not, then by NEXT sunday I hope to have it back in commission..:-D
After the whole ordeal, I have a new coil-pack, (broke a pin on the other one), new spark plugs, new wires, new clutch, and $365 to a performance shop. My car has nice wheels, only thing I can think of spending money on is like headers, Intake, and racing seats. Then all body stuff. Good, Bad?? These 420A engines don't seem worth the time to trick all out, so I'm going to just do bolt on mods and make the interior and exterior SHINE!!!
6485, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(
Posted by grain, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
420a engine is easy to work on, and can make some nice power. but you dont seem to know much about cars. so i wouldnt advise you to invent in engine work.
6486, RE: Transmission clanking?? :(
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Be careful writing the trans of due to "glitter". If the matal particles are silver and magnetic then its metal shavings. If the particles are golden and brass (non magnetic) then its normal.

Check the bellhousing area as driggs posted then open up the trans. Something broke free, possibly a portion of the diff or even one of the gears. I have many parts so if you can determine which part it is then let me know, i might have one laying around.

Terry
I generated this page in 0.0094261169433594 seconds, executing 7 queries.