Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjecttransmission flush cost / info
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=6314
6314, transmission flush cost / info
Posted by mysteryclipse21, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hi, could you guys give me some info on how much it costs (on average) to get a tranny flush, including everything I would have to buy on my own (the dealers fluid/ whatever else i would need.. I am CLUELESS), and then when i take it to the shop to have it done what they'll charge me. Also if you think its easy enough for me to do on my own and save me the labor cost, how do I do it? I do not have a very "manly" garage, I have a lot of detailing products and toolbox tools, no cherry pickers or band saws. So if I dont have the necessary tools (whatever they are..), what would you guys recommend I do? TIA :thumbsup
6315, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by ronjeremy525, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the fluid i bought from the locla dodge dealership, a.k.a. satan, was like $15 a quart of which it takes 2.1 quarts. i drained mine when i had the tranny out for a throwout bearing and clutch replacement.
6316, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by mysteryclipse21, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think I might need to have a Moderator move this to the Manual Trans - NV-T350 section. My bad.
6317, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by mysteryclipse21
I think I might need to have a Moderator move this to the Manual Trans - NV-T350 section.

Ohh! I kept saying to myself, "why is everyone assuming he has an M/T?" Haha, it was right there in front of me.

In that case, the changing the MTX fluid is pretty easy, like edxmon said. It was also one of the first things I did to my car.

I only have a few tips to add... you might want to try lowering and raising the car once the drain plug is removed to let any additional fluid fall out. Also, when filling it all up again, definitely use a funnel with a 1'-2' section of plastic hose attached, like suggested. It'll make things much easier.

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

6318, RE: transmission flush cost / info
I'd go to Satan and get about 3-4 quarts of new fluid. If you want to go all out, you can pick up a new tranny filter, (probably not totally necessary), and pan gasket.

If you bought the filter, drain the tranny fluid from underneath the car and drop the pan. Once you get that far, the filter should be right there facing you; it should only be held in with a couple bolts. Replace the filter, then replace the pan with the new gasket.

To flush the fluid, you'll need a section of plastic hose, a bucket, and a funnel.

There are two small lines that go to the radiator from the transmission; one is an oil feed, and the other is a return (I don't know which one is which). You'll want to remove the return line from the radiator, and replace it with the section of plastic hose. Direct the hose into the bucket. Place the funnel in the transmission fluid dipstick.

Start the car: tranny fluid should start flowing into the bucket. Begin adding new fluid through the funnel. Keep adding new fluid through the funnel until the stuff coming out of the hose no longer looks cloudy.

It helps to have a friend with you, because you'll want to shut off the car immediately after that point.

That's the gist of it. It's a fairly straightforward procedure; especially if you don't have to climb under the car and replace the filter. You should be able to get by with the basic hand tools and a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.

6319, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by mreigle, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
I'd go to Satan and get about 3-4 quarts of new fluid. If you want to go all out, you can pick up a new tranny filter, (probably not totally necessary), and pan gasket. If you bought the filter, drain the tranny fluid from underneath the car and drop the pan. Once you get that far, the filter should be right there facing you; it should only be held in with a couple bolts. Replace the filter, then replace the pan with the new gasket. To flush the fluid, you'll need a section of plastic hose, a bucket, and a funnel. There are two small lines that go to the radiator from the transmission; one is an oil feed, and the other is a return (I don't know which one is which). You'll want to remove the return line from the radiator, and replace it with the section of plastic hose. Direct the hose into the bucket. Place the funnel in the transmission fluid dipstick. Start the car: tranny fluid should start flowing into the bucket. Begin adding new fluid through the funnel. Keep adding new fluid through the funnel until the stuff coming out of the hose no longer looks cloudy. It helps to have a friend with you, because you'll want to shut off the car immediately after that point. That's the gist of it. It's a fairly straightforward procedure; especially if you don't have to climb under the car and replace the filter. You should be able to get by with the basic hand tools and a few hours on a Saturday afternoon. -http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

Sounds like an auto trans. Manual trans doesn't have a line to the radiator.
6320, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Oops... I automatically assumed he was talking about an A/T. I've never heard of someone "flushing" an M/T.

6321, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by edxmon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
A tranny flush is the first thing I did to my car when I got it, and Im a MT. When I read VelociPaola's post I was like "WTF?!?!? we have a tranny oil dip stick?!, Shit and I was under the car getting all greasy..." I assumed I didnt know about it since you are pretty much OG 2gnter, but even the best of us mess up some times :P

Anywho, back to the OP: Tranny flushes are easy peasy! You can buy this suction device at autozone for a few bucks if you are extramely picky, otherwise there is a bolt on the bottom of the housing that you can remove and the fluid will pour out. Now, because of the position of the plug and shape of the housing NOT ALL the oil will drain, that is why you MAY want to use the contraption I mentioned (I didn't). Now for the hard part, the filling of the fluid. I had to remove the air intake box, CAI or SRI, (depending on what you may have) battery and battery holder. And thats the end of the first part of the complicated task. Now just look for a small rubber plug that faces the drives side wheel, and pull it out (its going to be hard but do it by hand to prevent breaking it!) If your tranny was as filthy as mine, I recommend taking a rag and wiping it down (do this for the draining bolt also for your own benefit) now insert a flexible funnel or a funel with a hose into the newly open filling hole, and pour the fluid in. Fill untill the fluid level reaches the bottom of the hole to prevent over flow. Voila, your done with the "tranny flush". All you have to do now is put back all the stuff you removed initially.

Hope that helps, if not buy a Haynes/Chillton's manual, thats how I got through mine. :thumbsup

P.S. All you will need are metric wrenches/ sockets, and I think maybe screwdrivers. Easy enough, you can do it bro!
6322, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by goalie40, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by edxmon
You can buy this suction device at autozone for a few bucks

hmm suction device what is that. A drunk college chick. didnt know I could get one at auto zone. :P
6323, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by gyver, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
you can either do what edgar said. or.... go to jiffy lube and let them do it for 20 bucks in 10 minutes. :) either way youll get your tranny feeling like butter when it shifts.
6324, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by gyver
you can either do what edgar said. or.... go to jiffy lube and let them do it for 20 bucks in 10 minutes. :) either way youll get your tranny feeling like butter when it shifts.

Yeah, because Jigffy Lube is going to right fluid for an NV-T350. :rolleyes
6325, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by EclipseSix, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by gyver you can either do what edgar said. or.... go to jiffy lube and let them do it for 20 bucks in 10 minutes. :) either way youll get your tranny feeling like butter when it shifts.

exactly. With any luck at all you'll end up with their dexcron crap which is atf+4 (or maybe +3, i forget) which is not good for our trannys at all.

use the dealership fluid, or perhaps the syncromesh stuff (heard about it, remember seeing threads about it, don't remember any bad news about it).

also you can fill the trans from the speed sensor (sensor that is part of a hex bolt on top, unscrew it and fill carefully, much easiar then pulling that rubber plug imo)
6585, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by xcasbonx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by EclipseSix
Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by gyver you can either do what edgar said. or.... go to jiffy lube and let them do it for 20 bucks in 10 minutes. :) either way youll get your tranny feeling like butter when it shifts.
exactly. With any luck at all you'll end up with their dexcron crap which is atf+4 (or maybe +3, i forget) which is not good for our trannys at all. use the dealership fluid, or perhaps the syncromesh stuff (heard about it, remember seeing threads about it, don't remember any bad news about it). also you can fill the trans from the speed sensor (sensor that is part of a hex bolt on top, unscrew it and fill carefully, much easiar then pulling that rubber plug imo)

For the record, ATF+4 WILL work with our MTX and is a recommended fluid for the NVT-350 transmission. However, make sure you get the MOPAR ATF+4 from the dealer.
6589, RE: transmission flush cost / info
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
walmart around here has mopar atf+4, it's like $5-6 less than dodge
I generated this page in 0.010343074798584 seconds, executing 7 queries.