Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectMTX input shaft seal
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=5597
5597, MTX input shaft seal
Posted by DSMTalon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok im lookin for some info on this seal...whadda ya guys know about it? i want to replace it before i put my tranny back in but im not sure if you can buy just the seal or if you have to get the bearing and everything. also, how prone is this seal to actually leaking...should it be something i should worry about...im hoping to get ALL the fluid leaks taken care of on my car. TIA
5598, RE: MTX input shaft seal
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I dont think its prone to leaking but maybe thats just because none of mine have leaked.

To install a new seal you will need to remove the bellhousing and press the seal out with a hydraulic press and press in a new one. Any machine shop can do it for you, only takes 5 mins. You might be able to punch it out with a hammer and socket but if you damage the bellhousing, is it worth the risk?

Now that you know what needs to be done to replace it, do you really want to replace it?

Terry
5601, RE: MTX input shaft seal
lol...no...its not worth the trouble. i have the press and everything to do it...i just dont wanna fuss with it. why cant it just be like a normal tranny and you can pop the sucker out with a seal puller and reinstall the new one in like less time than it takes to go get a beer...
5602, RE: MTX input shaft seal
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Because it's not a standard seal, perhaps?
5603, RE: MTX input shaft seal
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Because it's not a standard seal, perhaps?

Standard Seal. The brand you trust. :shrug
5606, RE: MTX input shaft seal
lol...the brand you trust...but i guess i must say that i havent heard of that seal leaking...i guess im just paranoid or sick of a oily undercarriage. but at least it isnt a ford and "one of their better ideas"
5607, RE: MTX input shaft seal
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I had one leak, http://www34.brinkster.com/chamukogs/oilleak.htm

5608, RE: MTX input shaft seal
umm...chamuko...thanks for those pics..cuz thats what the inside of my bellhousing looks like... minus the pool of oil underneath but its juicy insdie...it just wasnt pouring out the bottom of the bell housing...does anybody have a part number for that seal cuz i tried calling around for one and nobody has a listing for one, so i called the dealer and theyre sayin you gotta replace the whole input shaft...and i dont think thats the case.
5609, RE: MTX input shaft seal
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the part # look up is on the main site. www.2gnt.com

PNC

Part Number
M04761090

Description
BEARING, M/T INPUT SHAFT, FRONT

http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main22/main22sub110.html
5612, RE: MTX input shaft seal
i swear chamuko and driggs are the coolest guys on this forum. hands down. thanks for lookin up that part number for me. ill call zangara dodge tomorrow and see what they have to say.
5680, RE: MTX input shaft seal
Ok well i finally broke down and bought the seal/ bearing assembly. also bought a SBC OFE clutch (very pretty) and i finally have everything ready to do the ATX to MTX swap.. i just need to replace this seal. so to do said operation i split the tranny case in twain...can i expect any suprises when i do, such as flying objects or small "doo-dads" to go flying everywhere? and when i seal it back up i use_______. (Im expecting that anaerobic sealant used for the bedplate is what is required right?) thanks
5681, RE: MTX input shaft seal
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have had best luck with anerobic. Dino has had good results with trans type RTV sealant.

Look u the main site for the 3.55 trans swap and read it for the bellhousing removal and reinstall. That should help.

Terry
5689, RE: MTX input shaft seal
allright cool. that was a lot of help. that and one of my ex auto instructors at the college said he'd give me a hand replacing it so i think im set...

one other side thought...when i go to install the pedal for the clutch..am i best off swapping out the brake pedal with the one from the MTX car, or do i just cut it off? and if it is the latter, anyone got some dimensions?

Thanks again.. might be another question forthcoming..but overall the install seems pretty straight forward
I generated this page in 0.0080878734588623 seconds, executing 7 queries.