Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=4953
4953, ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by donnyb373, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ok, this just recently started to happen, like ever since its been crazy cold here in MD. Anyway, when my car is bone cold, like when i start the bish up in the am, im getting this grinding chatter noise from the tranny, the clutch engages perfect, pedal feel fine everything seems ok, once the car warms up i dotn hear this noise anymore. I was leaning towards a throw out bearing but iono i thought id ask you guys for your opinions befor i dive into that....
4954, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by sike, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
If it is only when the clutch is depressed than it is very likely the TOB.
4956, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
no its when the car is cold as ballsack with it witting in nuetral,
4958, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by Blizare, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Have you checked your fluid lately?
5003, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by Talontaxi, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Blizare
Have you checked your fluid lately?

He should probably check his ballsack to if its as cold as he describes it.
4959, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by sike
If it is only when the clutch is depressed than it is very likely the TOB.

Strike that, reverse it.

Sounds like a TOB to me.
4962, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
grrrr, i so dont want to do the tob, lol, i might say fuggit till i can get my neon trans together....lol
4963, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by Star Turbo Talon, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have pulled the trans in my black 97 3times now, trust me it will get to the point were its a 2.5 hour job to R&R the trans.

Good luck bud

Terry
5002, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by andy_sbclutch, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by sike If it is only when the clutch is depressed than it is very likely the TOB.
Strike that, reverse it. Sounds like a TOB to me.

When the pedal is pushed the TOB is activated so if the TOB is bad it will show up when you push the pedal. In neutral with your foot off the pedal the front main brg is activated. That is most likely the noise you hear.
5004, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Originally posted by andy_sbclutch
Originally posted by sike If it is only when the clutch is depressed than it is very likely the TOB.
When the pedal is pushed the TOB is activated so if the TOB is bad it will show up when you push the pedal. In neutral with your foot off the pedal the front main brg is activated. That is most likely the noise you hear.

Yes, but it'll rattle when the clutch is not pressed if it is not sitting right in the fork. That's probably what he's hearing. it's more than common on these cars Andy.
5010, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
im only hearing it when the clutch is not engaged and im sitting still, it happends mostly when its cold outside or when i first start the car in the morning.
5021, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by andy_sbclutch, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by andy_sbclutch
Yes, but it'll rattle when the clutch is not pressed if it is not sitting right in the fork. That's probably what he's hearing. it's more than common on these cars Andy.

Experiance beats logic everytime!:)
5031, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by FunRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. But it makes the noise if i'm siting still or moving. but only dose it for a block or two. This is a rebilt unit so I'm wondering if a sycro is going bad. I've already ruled out the TB becasue the noise happen regardless if the clucth peadle is in or out. So any thougths on it would be nice. The trany shop I got it from whants to keep the car over night so thay can hear it. I really don't want to leave my car there but I may have to.
5032, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Synchros don't rattle.
5033, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
Posted by FunRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
O.K. if syncros don't rattle then what is could it be? Or should I just keep driven the car until it breakes?
5034, RE: ut oh wtf could be wrong now....
If it does it when its cold, but not when its hot, clutch in or out, its probably a bearing.
I generated this page in 0.014044046401978 seconds, executing 7 queries.