Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjectF5mc1 transmission question
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=1653
1653, F5mc1 transmission question
Posted by Flyin_Monkey, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hi,

I'm getting a "dry bushing" noise from my transmission when I idle and the car is in neutral. It dies out when I push the clutch pedal all the way in. Is it the input shaft bearing or the throwout bearing? I guess I should ask if anyone has nad this problem before first. If it is the input shaft bearing, how involved is a rebuild if I buy the kit from a vendor.. say KDS or equivalent. help, it's urgent, this is my daily driver, and I can't afford to be without it.

I should add that the transmission is fine on lubricant (Redline) and the car has 120,000+ miles on it with no other problems thus far.

Thanks,
Andy in NM.
1654, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
Posted by lickscissors, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
if it makes a sort of grinding/squeeling/rattling noise, and goes away when you push in the clutch, or after the car warms up, more than likely its your throw out bearing.....they're about $30 and you have to pull the tranny or engine to get to it....i have had this problem and its a pretty common problem
1655, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
Posted by admin2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You are using the wrong fluid, for one. Do not run anything other than factory fluid in the NV-T350 (F5MC1).

it's probably just the TO bearing. The dying out is likely not related to the trans.

The input shaft bearing is not rebuildable, just buy a new one. They're about $45. You have to drop the trans, open the case, hammer or press the old one out, and hammer or press the new one in.
1656, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
Posted by zhr420, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
while the trany is out might as well replace the rear main seal, ur car has alot of miles it would be a good time to replace it.
its around 15 bucks and takes one minute to install.
later
"Z"
1663, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
That was on my list too. Rear main seal, both driveline seals, and if necessary, but hopefully not, the clutch.
1676, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
Posted by deadfish39, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have the same noise coming from my transmission. The only thing is i just bought the freakin thing. Since i cracked the housing on my previous tranny. The place that found the transmission for me said that it was completely rebuilt but there was a little bit of noise coming from it when at idle. They also said the guy replaced every part in the transmission he couldnt find out what it was but they said it runs fine. From my experience its really loud when i first turn it on. the noise goes away after like 10 or 15 minutes of driving also it goes away when i hit the clutch. DO YOU guys think its the same problem for me? the throw out bearing
1677, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
Well, It's not the throw-out bearing. I just got done with a couple wonderful days under my car getting showered with road grime and tranny fluid... yeah, it was great. I fixed the bearing, (and the axle seals and the rear main)... but the noise came back, the very next start :|. I can hear a noise from the front of the transmission which seems to be most pronounced as the engine slows down, while sitting in neutral. I don't think it's affecting the running of the car. Well, I guess I'll just keep an ear open, and keep everybody up to date. On to the next project.
1680, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
Posted by deadfish39, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Oh ok i wasnt to sure if it was the throw out bearing since i had it replaced 10,000 miles ago when i got the clutch replaced. Thats the same thing that I was told, that the noise doesnt effect the running of the car but id like to know what it is, it kinda gets annoying riding around with that noise in your ear no what i mean? keep me posted thx
1683, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
I will definitely keep you up on the situation. I think it's just a design flaw in the transmission, maybe a poorly seated bearing on one of the shafts or a tolerance issure in the gears. It doesn't seem to affect my driving either.

Andy.
1684, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
These transaxles are typically noisy.

Did you use the correct fluid this time?
1687, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
Posted by Chamuko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
all stock clutches?

just finished reading this ...

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=1646&mesg_id=1646&page=
1692, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
I do have the stock clutch, but after reading that post, I may just change. Can a person customise the flywheel/plate combination pretty freely?

1733, RE: F5mc1 transmission question
Well,

I put $45 into new fluid, and the noise is all but gone.. in fact the transmission is so quiet, it sounds new.. Thanks for the help everybody.

Andy in NM

-------------------------------------------------
The Talon, Just one in a looooong string of cars.
-------------------------------------------------
I generated this page in 0.0093128681182861 seconds, executing 7 queries.