Go back to previous topic
Forum nameManual Trans - NV-T350
Topic subjecttranny rebuild...
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=34&topic_id=1563
1563, tranny rebuild...
Posted by Dave_FL, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well I may have to do this in the near future if I keep running high boost like I am right now. My tranny isnt sounding to great. It wines a bit and when idling it makes a lot of sound when the clutch is not pressed in. I also grind some gears sometimes when driving hard. So I guess I have 2 options....

1. rebuild the tranny

2. get a new tranny

Which should I do and how much am I looking at in $$$?
1566, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by whodatt1, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I would not trust a rebuilt tranny too much.. you could buy a SOHC 3.55 neon tranny. it will give you a bit taller gearing, i think you can find those for about $300 -$400. when my tranny broke i replaced it another nv-t350 tranny and it cost me $750 I looked on line and locally for a cheaper one.. i could not find a cheaper one that would ship here. Good luck.
1567, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by grain, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i would buy the sohc neon tranny like ^^^^ said, and make sure you have a nice lsd to go in with it.
1568, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Jeez.. you guys pay way too much for a trans. I paid $325 for my last one out the door.
1580, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by Initial DSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Was it new or used? If I got another tranny, I would want it new, especially with those above mods. Forwardmotion.com sell neon trannys with the Quaife LSD. They even sell the SRT-4 tranny with LSD, which they say will bolt up and is much stronger as well as taller gears. You will prolly need to and should anyway, get custom axles from driveshaftshop.
1581, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it is suprisingly hard to kill these transaxles. Even if you buy them used, typically they are pristine on the inside of the case. Also, if you know what to look for, it is every easy to tear them down and inspect them for wear.
1594, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by Dave_FL, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I wish I could get one for $325. Where did you get your Dino?
1609, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by admin2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Local boneyard. Just called around for a few days, looking for the place with the cheapest trans...
1612, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by Ozzmosis86, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Initial DSM
Was it new or used? If I got another tranny, I would want it new, especially with those above mods. Forwardmotion.com sell neon trannys with the Quaife LSD. They even sell the SRT-4 tranny with LSD, which they say will bolt up and is much stronger as well as taller gears. You will prolly need to and should anyway, get custom axles from driveshaftshop.

I don't believe that www.forwardmotion.com sells trannys. I looked at it and I think it was some kind of a fitness site. Please let me know the web address to the place that sells the 3.55 neon trannys with a Quaife LSD.

Thanks,

andy
1617, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
www.fowardmotioninc.com

-marc

='95 RS 5spd Red=
Matrix TypeX CAI
A'pexi Turbo N1
Nakayama GT5 17's
Ractive STB
GSX Calipers
AEM 12.5" X-Drilled/Slotted Rotors

255 is fricken short
1636, RE: tranny rebuild...
Originally posted by MCubed45
www.fowardmotioninc.com -marc ='95 RS 5spd Red= Matrix TypeX CAI A'pexi Turbo N1 Nakayama GT5 17's Ractive STB GSX Calipers AEM 12.5" X-Drilled/Slotted Rotors 255 is fricken short

The page won't load.
1635, RE: tranny rebuild...
Originally posted by whodatt1
I would not trust a rebuilt tranny too much.. you could buy a SOHC 3.55 neon tranny. it will give you a bit taller gearing, i think you can find those for about $300 -$400. when my tranny broke i replaced it another nv-t350 tranny and it cost me $750 I looked on line and locally for a cheaper one.. i could not find a cheaper one that would ship here. Good luck.

What is the advantage of the Neon 3.55 tranny? It would make your car loose acceleration, and gain on the top end. Does anyone feel that their top end is lacking? Are the 3.55 trannys any stronger or more reliable? I haven't seen any convincing arguments that would make me want to go with a 3.55 tranny. Tall gearing will get you better gas milage, but would lower your acceleration. Is the 5th gear on the 3.55 tranny any different than ours, or is it just the final drive? If 5th gear is geared taller, but would still be compatable in our trannys I would be interested in that. Keep my accereration in 1st through 4th and have a nice cruising gear. Please point me to some more info on this, I am very interested.

Thanks,

Andy
MonteSS86@hotmail.com
1618, RE: tranny rebuild...
Posted by Twiste, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
so, the neon trans. does fit? or only the 3.55?
I generated this page in 0.009984016418457 seconds, executing 7 queries.