Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectFlashing my tranny computer
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=3643
3643, Flashing my tranny computer
Posted by Esitalon95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hello,
I have talked to some people on here about my tranny in my ESi. But stepdad was talking about flashing the computer for the tranny. I didnt know if anyone on here had done it or heard of it?!?!?! Thanks Alicia
3644, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yes it can be done with the dealers DRB3 tool, it will just upload any new programming changes, like eliminating the bump shift,etc...
its typically 75 bucks I believe.

whats the problem.
3646, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
Posted by Keith2172, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
What does this do for you? The only reason I could think of to re-flash would be to get the Auto-Stick flash and try getting it to work, but you're saying it can be programed to eliminate bump shift?
3647, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
Originally posted by Keith2172
What does this do for you? The only reason I could think of to re-flash would be to get the Auto-Stick flash and try getting it to work, but you're saying it can be programed to eliminate bump shift?

the just upgrade the TCU to the current programming which depending on when your car was made could be in 95-96 or whatever and might not have the latest code. which is typically just improvements on problems like bump shift,etc... Im not sure on what exacly has changed in the TCU programming over the years maybe Infinit3 has a list or something from the dealership

3648, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
Posted by Esitalon95, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by mcgyvr whats the problem.

Ok, the tranny will be working fine. but sometime when u come to a stop the the tranny kinda jerks down into 2nd and 1st. And makes this (thud) noise. but then it will upshift just fine after u take off. but now when u stop (every once anwhile) it will shift into 2nd and will not down shift again or when u take off it will not upshift. If u have the car in park it will idle fine. Then only way that i have gotten it to shift again is turning the car off and then restart it. well i dont know if that help you or not. but thanks for asking alicia
3649, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
You can try replacing the solenoid pack which is the basic brain for the tranny which might have some screens clogged,etc.. and have the TCU flashed with the latest program which was updated after 95 to eliminate bump shift,etc..
or
IMO you need to go to the dealership or a tranny shop someone with a drb3 tool and have them look at your clutch volume indexes. That will tell you if you have a leaky piston seal (part of the tranny not engine pistons) which can cause your problem and have them replace the underdrive clutch,etc..
and the only way to fix that is with a tranny rebuild.
3650, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
how much of a tranny rebuild, could one simply pull the valve-body from under the car and accomplish everything he wanted to do (replace the solenoid pack, piston seals, and underdrive clutch) or does one need to pull the tranny for this? I'm asking because I installed a shift kit a while ago (no problems till recently, so Im not thiking it's that) and I'm comfortable with that type of work, but I can't afford to have my tranny pulled and down for longer then a weekend.
3651, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
well the solenoid pack is easy, its just bolted on the outside of the tranny by the battery, the piston seals I believe are in the valve body so thats not a problem either BUT I believe the underdrive clutch (which IMO is the problem) is in the tranny and would need replacing.

Keith what is your tranny problem?
3652, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
Posted by bones42099, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
don't know if this would be any help for your issue but you could try reading my post like 2 or 3 down cause it sounds like you are having similar to mine. check out that post and see if it is close to the same thing. if so the final solution was to have my tranny cooler and a sensor replaced. hope you get straight i know how much a pain in the arse it is.
3653, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
Posted by InFiNiT3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
the input clutch pack or rev/low pack is directly behind the pump inside the trans. it is mainly the most common resons our trans needs a rebuild. infact (this is kinda messed up so prepair yourself) 99% of all trans/dealer shops will charge u for a full rebuild when they only rebuild the 1 clutch assem. which will cure the problem but only for a short time u are not getting a full rebuild unlees u personally do it or take the trans apart to check. Escrow on my new shop should complete by the end of next month so ill be doing trans rebuilds/mods and piggyback units (tcu) repaires outa there...so at least if something happends to u guys.... ull know that theres a trans shop u can trust out there :)

02:19:18pm DarkOne> They'd have had to brought a whole fucking JUG of KY.
02:19:28pm InFiNiT3> lol no shit
02:19:39pm DarkOne> and a funnel.
02:19:45pm grain> have to get the ky with warming
02:20:00pm InFiNiT3> i feel sorry for the 18 y/o (one was 17 one 18) his name was plaster'd all over the news n news paper
02:20:06pm DarkOne> Yeah, has to be warming.
02:20:06pm BuckNutty> jus spit on it and it'll go in
02:20:17pm InFiNiT3> aye the ky w/ warming any good>
02:20:45pm grain> never tryed it
02:20:50pm grain> i applyed for a sample on thier website
02:20:56pm BuckNutty> evan didn't complain any
02:20:56pm BuckNutty> it felt nice
02:20:57pm InFiNiT3> lol
02:21:01pm grain> i use id glide whne she dries
02:21:06pm grain> good stuff
02:21:45pm InFiNiT3> thnx for the new sig guys
02:21:45pm DarkOne> Are we still talking about fucking dead chicks?
3661, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
I've got another thread on my issues, I don't think my tranny is actually heating up because I did a tranny fluid change (not flush) when I bought the car 2 years ago, and then another change when I installed my shift kit a year ago, and I've been running with a B&M tranny cooler all along. The only other tranny related is that I've got the Stratus gear set and the TQ Red. mod hooked to a switch that almost never leaves the factory setting (I flip the switch once every two months when Im feeling a little frisky). Everything was fine until 2-3 months ago (well after every tranny part had been installed) I was having a vewry slight surging problem when coming to a stop so I changed the rotors to Powerstop and semi-metallic pads, broke them in over 500 miles. Went to Pismo and as soon as it saw hills my car started surging at every stop, very hard, with an audible thud. I drive it real easy and make it home, and now it does it every day, as well as sometimes when I take off the stall convertor seems to give out until maybe 3500rpm and then slam into 1st. No problems shifting, tranny fluid looks beautiful on the dipstick. Im thinking about rebuilding my brake calipers just to rule the brakes out. Anyone have any suggestions?
3662, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
WHOA WHOA WHOA.......u have s stock converter and u said your stall is 3500 rpms?

02:20:00pm InFiNiT3> i feel sorry for the 18 y/o (one was 17 one 18) his name was plaster'd all over the news n news paper
3672, RE: Flashing my tranny computer
Im sorry I hi-jacked this Alicia, it doesn't stall out all the time, only once or twice a month, the rest of the time it's either normal or does the lurching thing coming to a stop. I don't know, maybe I'll just flush the tranny and rebuild my brake calipers and hope for the best. Now where's that tranny flush write-up... :)
3678, Flush inst.:
ok this is the ghetto way but it works very well!

1: remove your trans cooler lines
2: place 2 5gal paint bucket infront of the vehical
3: extend cooler lines approx 3 ft ea.
4: get a buddy to help u out
5: drink a beer and have a smoke
6: drop the output trans cooler line into the bucket
7: drop the input trans cooler line into the other bucket
8: fill the *input* bucket with trans fluid
9: start the vehical and put the trans in 1st (make sure its on jackstands
10: remove the input line from the bucket when bucket looses approx 3qrts of fluid
11: keep the car running fuckers!in 1st!
12: kick back till the output trans line starts sputtering
13: turn off vehical
14: start cussing while your cleaning up the mess
15: smoke and have another beer
16: reinstall trans cooler lines
17: fill trans w/ appropiate amount of fluid
18: run vehical threw all gears (in 1 spot)
19: top off fluid
20: your done drink more

I generated this page in 0.01009202003479 seconds, executing 7 queries.